Role Good Point System

A place to record your ideas for the game.
delaron
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Delaron

Role Good Point System

Post by delaron » #352548

So we have admin notes to help build a pattern of bad behavior. This is needed to help curb impulsive misbehavior and is the stick method. I think it works to a degree but I was wondering if we could add a simple carrot method as positive tracking.

The general idea is to have a goal either assigned to a department or a specific job.

For instance:

Chef: cook x meals
Engineer: maintain X % power
Scientist: Research x levels

etc

When reached the users get a good staff point. Generally tracked for a leader board or just as an appended value on your notes page. Thus having 1 bad round of misbehavior but 99 good rounds could help determine if a perma ban or temp ban is more appropriate as well as perhaps a good indicator for participants in admin events.

Obviously this is bare bones on detail and could be fleshed out but figure I would post the idea and see what others thought.
-------
I'm not smart enough to meme.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Role Good Point System

Post by BeeSting12 » #352554

Why would I take some arbitrary game mechanics related goal that has no effect on a players behavior into account when deciding if a player should be banned for killing sec FNR?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #352561

*cooks a shitton of spaghetti*
*spaces the HoS*

im a good boy
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #352563

BeeSting12 wrote:Why would I take some arbitrary game mechanics related goal that will be inevitably be cheesed and powergamed into the next level of hell and will only consistently reward powergamers that has no effect on a players behavior into account when deciding if a player should be banned for killing sec FNR?
delaron
In-Game Admin

Post by delaron » #352566

BeeSting12 wrote:Why would I take some arbitrary game mechanics related goal that has no effect on a players behavior into account when deciding if a player should be banned for killing sec FNR?

Probably shouldn't. However I did say, "Thus having 1 bad round of misbehavior but 99 good rounds could help determine if a perma ban or temp ban is more appropriate as well as perhaps a good indicator for participants in admin events."

So maybe in the instance you are thinking of it shouldn't. However if they escalated a situation too quickly out of hand but have a positive track record of many games it could help you side on a warning. Take it or leave it at your discretion. It also could be a brownie point system for fun admin events when you are looking for a indicator of those that play well with other. Hell it could just be autistic bragging rights.
-------
delaron
In-Game Admin

Post by delaron » #352568

Saegrimr wrote:*cooks a shitton of spaghetti*
*spaces the HoS*

im a good boy

Well you cant really space the HoS while making spaghetti so net result is delayed bad behavior?

inb4 portable kitchen setup next to an air lock
-------
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #352594

>goal is make 20 bowls of spaghetti
>make my 20 bowls
>grief
>still get GBP

The serious answer is that admins basically can already do this. Let's take me for example. 4518 connections, lets assume each connection is a round played even though it's something more like 1.8 connections/round, I forget. I have 39 notes, several of these are meme notes/requested bans/positive notes but besides the point. Let's assume I have 30 actual notes about poor behavior, which is probably about correct. 4518/30 is roughly 150, meaning that for every 150 rounds, I have one fuckup. There are players with much less than me, but you get the idea.

Admins will look at connection/notes and what the notes are actually about and decide if the player is good or not which will factor into whether he's banned/not. This is generally only for newer players when deciding on a rule zero based on the person just being here to grief, though it can happen with older players, if you're averaging a note every few connections you'll get banned pretty fast. I ban on a case by case basis and not based on how many notes/connection someone gets anyway, I only look at that type of thing when considering a rule zero ban on the basis of the guy likely being a ban evader. This would really only be a stat of who can powergame the system the hardest. What we really need is the beard system back.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #352599

I've already told people to ahelp that they want good boy notes but no one has the nerve to actually do it

Edit: or they aren't actually good ^_^
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #352600

I'd be cool with giving end round text for roles that did whatever their job is and did a lot of it. If robotics made a bunch of bots or made none at all. If the janitor kept the whole station clean, or there were X number of dirty tiles. If the chef made X number of things through the shift. If X% of the station was powered.

Those sorts of things speak to robustness in non-combat ways and can encourage players to do things in their chosen roles that they can point to at the end of a round and feel accomplished without an antag role.
delaron
In-Game Admin

Post by delaron » #352601

BeeSting12 wrote:>goal is make 20 bowls of spaghetti
>make my 20 bowls
>grief
>still get GBP

The serious answer is that admins basically can already do this. Let's take me for example. 4518 connections, lets assume each connection is a round played even though it's something more like 1.8 connections/round, I forget. I have 39 notes, several of these are meme notes/requested bans/positive notes but besides the point. Let's assume I have 30 actual notes about poor behavior, which is probably about correct. 4518/30 is roughly 150, meaning that for every 150 rounds, I have one fuckup. There are players with much less than me, but you get the idea.

Admins will look at connection/notes and what the notes are actually about and decide if the player is good or not which will factor into whether he's banned/not. This is generally only for newer players when deciding on a rule zero based on the person just being here to grief, though it can happen with older players, if you're averaging a note every few connections you'll get banned pretty fast. I ban on a case by case basis and not based on how many notes/connection someone gets anyway, I only look at that type of thing when considering a rule zero ban on the basis of the guy likely being a ban evader. This would really only be a stat of who can powergame the system the hardest. What we really need is the beard system back.
Cool and that on its own merit is great to hear. So forget it being a factor into ban/no ban admin decisions.

Would this be a good metric for privileged staff positions? Does several rounds of good engineering work warrant opening the CE position? Are we still time gating positions?

Is there interest in a goal leader board?
-------
delaron
In-Game Admin

Post by delaron » #352603

cedarbridge wrote:I'd be cool with giving end round text for roles that did whatever their job is and did a lot of it. If robotics made a bunch of bots or made none at all. If the janitor kept the whole station clean, or there were X number of dirty tiles. If the chef made X number of things through the shift. If X% of the station was powered.

Those sorts of things speak to robustness in non-combat ways and can encourage players to do things in their chosen roles that they can point to at the end of a round and feel accomplished without an antag role.

I agree it would be pretty awesome to add to the non antag role stats for each department. Something to highlight good or better behavior seems a nice hat tip.
-------
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #352606

I mean, if there is appeal in "muh green text" for antags then its likely there's a similar appeal to "See, I wasn't a totally useless chef" in the post-round. Obviously we'd have to consider who and what to include to avoid clutter. We already have fairly long text scrolls post-round for certain antag types.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #352608

I've screeched about this before, /vg/ has had this for a long ass time. Post-round stats that show things like how dirty the station was, how many times the clown got beaten, whether science were lazy jackasses with research levels.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #352610

delaron wrote:
Would this be a good metric for privileged staff positions? Does several rounds of good engineering work warrant opening the CE position? Are we still time gating positions?

Is there interest in a goal leader board?
I'd rather see using the system you're speaking of to time gate head roles in a department over adding it as an admin only stat. It could still have its uses in a leaderboard, dick measuring kinda way just saying that I would never use it in the administration way.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #352612

Saegrimr wrote:I've screeched about this before, /vg/ has had this for a long ass time. Post-round stats that show things like how dirty the station was, how many times the clown got beaten, whether science were lazy jackasses with research levels.
I believe the station cleanliness thing is included because their blood cult gets objectives to cover X number of tiles in blood before summoning.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #352756

At some point we have to separate the round end stuff because it's gonna be way too cluttered imo.

We should really elevate that byond medal system because that's a great way to do some of this. We just need to give it more spotlight
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #352766

Alternatively, we could swap out the ever present "station goal failed" message with a score based on crew performance for collective robustness. You'd then work out a system that tallies points for food cooked, bots made, books written, % station powered (or power surplus over station requirements to reward super autistic engine tweaking), lack of outstanding arrest records, money in the station vault/ATM, etc.

I'm a huge fan of both department shoutouts and station-wide shoutouts for non-antag play.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #352772

Why does this thread appear every like 4 months? It's a shit idea and is never gonna get added man.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #352795

cedarbridge wrote:I'm a huge fan of both department shoutouts and station-wide shoutouts for non-antag play.
agreed, positive reinforcement works 10000x better than negative reinforcement
Limey wrote:its too late.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #352815

ShadowDimentio wrote:Why does this thread appear every like 4 months? It's a shit idea and is never gonna get added man.
Not an argument, my dude.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #352855

I think people prefer to be recognized individually
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #352890

Change “good point” to “good boy point” and see how dumb this sounds. Fuckin lifeweb has this and people love to hate it ironically or otherwise.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #352891

ExcessiveJMadison wrote:I think people prefer to be recognized individually
To be fair, we've done a pretty good job catering to people who want to play a social game individually too.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #352893

As silly as "make 20 bowls of spaghetti and space the HoS" sounds giving people (fractions) of an antag token every time they finished their personal goals for the round would probably be the only effective bribe we could ever use since we lack long term cosmetics/currency/leveling etc. The realize prize on our server is temporary rule immunity.

I mean it isn't gonna happen, but the OP isn't far off from how an effective system would look
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #352895

Kor wrote:As silly as "make 20 bowls of spaghetti and space the HoS" sounds giving people (fractions) of an antag token every time they finished their personal goals for the round would probably be the only effective bribe we could ever use since we lack long term cosmetics/currency/leveling etc. The realize prize on our server is temporary rule immunity.

I mean it isn't gonna happen, but the OP isn't far off from how an effective system would look
we should have veteran jumpsuits for jobs if you can complete a feat pertaining to that job ^_^

OR HATS
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #352915

ExcessiveJMadison wrote:
Kor wrote:As silly as "make 20 bowls of spaghetti and space the HoS" sounds giving people (fractions) of an antag token every time they finished their personal goals for the round would probably be the only effective bribe we could ever use since we lack long term cosmetics/currency/leveling etc. The realize prize on our server is temporary rule immunity.

we should have veteran jumpsuits for jobs if you can complete a feat pertaining to that job ^_^

OR HATS
We had beards for a bit and I thought that was a good idea but for some reason they were removed. BRING BACK BEARDS, 2017!!
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Hatfish
Byond Username: Hatfish

Post by Hatfish » #352937

Do this anyways, nonantag goals would be killer.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #353368

I'm going to start going through the code and seeing what sort of bookkeeping would be required for simple until-round-end non-antag shoutout text. A few notes on my intended design:

1) The chosen department/role that gets a shoutout may not always be the same or it might just be a couple common departments (number of bots made by robotics, for example.)
2) I do not intend for any of this to persist across rounds. This is meant to be as fleeting as traitor greentext. You did a good job, the game calls you a good boy at the end.
3) Some shoutouts may have to be department based instead of role based. (Engineering gets a shoutout for their power surplus for shift over station demand. Cargo gets a shoutout for their final balance or total exports.)
4) Department goals will not have memory text or a roundstart message. This isn't meant to be as invasive as antag objectives or be easily confusable with antag objectives but should be generally doable by just doing your assigned job in a moderately robust way. If the chef makes 5 burgers and then fucks off all shift, they shouldn't be getting a good boy star.
5) All departments together could have their scores added together and generate a station wide performance rating. I'd like to be able to subtract points for station damage (if you barely make it out with the station mostly in shreds, corporate just recycles the crew for parts and sends in new clones) but I'll have to look into the sort of mechanics required for that. This could even encourage engineers to actually fix things.
6) Ideally, the whole thing would only take up 3 lines of text. Could possibly cram it into 1 but it would be tighter. Three lines would allow for a best performer, worst performer, and the station total performance grade.

These are initial plans and something I plan to iterate on through development.
(And no, there will be no admin note integration because wew)
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #355694

I think when I played on a different server they had this sort of scoring system. I think it was... Facepunch or something like that? It was a long time ago.

It was based on how much the station was intact, the percentage of surviving crew, percentage of escaped crew, percentage of crew in critical condition, percentage of time the station had power, percentage of the station that had power, R&D levels, percentage of detained traitors, killed changlings, that sort of thing. From there the crew would get a grade (typically failing).

I'd find it fun to have some sort of recognition for the individual player who makes it to round end as a non-antag, like maybe only showing their stats at the end depending on their job. So, for example, as security, number of deaths, number of kills, number of stuns, number of times stunned, number of times slipped, number of antag arrests, that sort of thing.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills