[POLL] Porting NT Drones

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Should NT Drones Be Ported to TG?

Yes
20%
Yes
20%
Yes
20%
Yes, with modifications
7%
Yes, with modifications
7%
Yes, with modifications
7%
No
5%
No
5%
No
5%
Abstain
1%
Abstain
1%
Abstain
1%

Total votes: 147

Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Porting NT Drones

Post by Incomptinence » #29109

Bottom post of the previous page:

Yeah meant stop pulling button. Also great as an indicator of when you ARE pulling.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29118

JJRcop wrote:- Made drones able to hear binary chat, but they cannot speak in it.
>malf AI
>drones decide to "build autism fort" near the core, totally for no reason and not interfering
Yeah, let's just keep them as independent as possible, eh? I would rather they just crawl around in search of stuff to do rather than massively rebuilding the station and fucking up antagonists.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #29141

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
JJRcop wrote:- Made drones able to hear binary chat, but they cannot speak in it.
>malf AI
>drones decide to "build autism fort" near the core, totally for no reason and not interfering
Yeah, let's just keep them as independent as possible, eh? I would rather they just crawl around in search of stuff to do rather than massively rebuilding the station and fucking up antagonists.
But that WOULD be interfering. It would also require two way communication between the drones and the AI, the idea is the AI can report damage and make requests, but the drones are under no lawset to obey or even listen, it's just something that be hand to "hear" as a drone.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: [POLL] Porting NT Drones

Post by Remie Richards » #29142

I merged JJ's EMP and Binary chat changes into the main PR.
私は完璧
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29146

peoplearestrange wrote:But that WOULD be interfering.
Tracking wizard is human harm. Letting people come to nuke ops is human harm.

I mean, it's just a fact that at least some people will try to bend rules, will try to powergame and will try to gain advantage over antagonists. Please don't make AI by default share its binary with something that is not bound to it.

I mean, you are trying to build these robots that don't mess with anybody, right, just do their own thing? At least that's what I can make out of lawset. Then why would you give them binary, clearly a way to interact with "outside world".

Unless you're trying to make a replacement for engineers, of course.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #29165

Hmmm you make a valid point there.

I suppose drones will most likely inform each other of damage etc.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #29168

Hearing only means they can't interfere with the Binary chat, they can receive orders from the AI (Receiving an order is not interfering, unless said order is to interfere, which they can ignore, as they could any request from an AI)
私は完璧
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #29172

I didn't even have powergaming in mind when I made it so they can hear but can't talk. In NT/Artyom, drones can talk on binary chat. The issue wasn't metagaming or toeing the line on validhunting, it was that there were so many drones talking on binary that the AI and borgs couldn't really use it anymore.
I lurk quite often...
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29195

Remie Richards wrote:Hearing only means they can't interfere with the Binary chat, they can receive orders from the AI (Receiving an order is not interfering, unless said order is to interfere, which they can ignore, as they could any request from an AI)
"Man, that hull breach is really annoying. Sure would be great if a million drones came out of nowhere to fix it."
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #29275

:d for drone talk. AI's and Borg's have access to the channel, but drones don't have :b.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29282

It's not even about drones being dicks to AI, it's just absolutely contradictory to the very basic idea the drones are based on.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #29395

MERGED: Have a nice day!
私は完璧
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #29399

The godo guys win again
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #29405

maybe you nerds will stop screeching ALIUM PLX in deadchat for a while
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29495

Cheridan wrote:maybe you nerds will stop screeching ALIUM PLX in deadchat for a while
Yes please.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #29596

For emagging, how about a Drone Control Console (accessible by RD and CE, probably on the bridge)? Works similar to the robotics control console, gives a list of drones. Drones can be locked and maybe destroyed remotely. They can also be given a room of the station (dependent upon room names, like the Crew Monitoring Console) to be directed to. Emagging the drone-control console allows drones to be remotely hacked, which gives them 'destroy the station' laws. If directed to a room they will be told to direct their destruction there, otherwise they can just do whatever.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29597

bandit wrote:For emagging, how about a Drone Control Console (accessible by RD and CE, probably on the bridge)? Works similar to the robotics control console, gives a list of drones. Drones can be locked and maybe destroyed remotely. They can also be given a room of the station (dependent upon room names, like the Crew Monitoring Console) to be directed to. Emagging the drone-control console allows drones to be remotely hacked, which gives them 'destroy the station' laws. If directed to a room they will be told to direct their destruction there, otherwise they can just do whatever.
Over complicates things a little beyond the normal scope of what an emag can already do with borgs. Emagging effects should be reserved for direct contact which can (and should be) avoided by the drones themselves. Also, I really hate "delete player" consoles like the RD console on principal.
bandit

Post by bandit » #29602

The reason I suggested making it remote is twofold:

- Emagging drones should be fairly rare as the effect has the potential to fuck things up massively. Only the RD and CE can access the console (maybe the destruction capabilities should be on it, for situations where a station area needs to be detached for safety AKA traitorlol

- Drones aren't people, they're more akin to pAIs; I feel like this is a risk you take on willingly when you go drone.

admin feedback pls
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29606

bandit wrote:I feel like this is a risk you take on willingly when you go drone.
Mercifully, its not yet. I'm generally against these sorts of things because it not only removes people from the round, it removes them without interaction from those victims. If you want to take a drone out of the round, hit it with something or shoot it. You don't need a remote access delete key to slide down a console screen. Besides, I already get a feeling that people are too trigger happy with the borg console. Giving them a second one for "controlling" (destroying) drones seems irresponsible.
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #29631

I made the EMP thing so that it's actually possible to stop an annoying drone from moving long enough to beat their skulls in without them scurrying through vents.
I lurk quite often...
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #29674

So if we play as a drone, can we not get cloned/become an Alien? Seems like drones will just take players who could be cloned out of the round. Can we not have drones still get the "your body is being cloned" message? Not sure if that already happens...

Can we get the ability to create a few sheets of metal/glass too? Could work the same way as Constructs creating Soul Shards. Like 1 sheet of metal/glass every 10 seconds or something. Then we wouldnt need to steal stuff from departments that may need the materials. I dont feel like this would be abused, considering drones have a lawset to stop them interacting with humans.

or, as someone was suggesting on the server, give drones their own little room in maint that they can ventcrawl to. It would have some sort of recycling machines that could make metal/glass/rglass as needed.

Basically i think drones should have some way to get materials that doesnt require stealing from departments or mining it yourself, which would take forever.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29702

Alex Crimson wrote:Like 1 sheet of metal/glass every 10 seconds or something.
This would make them infinite material farms.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29711

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:Like 1 sheet of metal/glass every 10 seconds or something.
This would make them infinite material farms.
They cannot interfere with humans, so using drones to farm mats like that would be abuse. Hell Engiborgs can do the same thing with their RCD, but you dont see that being abused.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29716

Alex Crimson wrote:Hell Engiborgs can do the same thing with their RCD, but you dont see that being abused.
Well it's a lot harder for them to do that, but I agree that it is stupid.
Alex Crimson wrote:They cannot interfere with humans
This is a silly excuse to allow for such easy exploits.

Don't forget that drones are people who were out of the round and got a free pass back. They should not be a replacement for engineers or anyone, frankly, just a little fun guys who can be mildly useful if they wish to be.

But no, let's make them fucking AI slaves who do what engineering is supposed to do, farm materials out of nowhere and interfere however the fuck they want, because actually enforcing their law 1 is almost impossible.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29726

Sounds like your issues are with the players, not the Drones. If they break law 1, then they will be quickly job banned. Elyina has been rather clear on this. Admins are going to be very unforgiving to Drones who break their laws on purpose.

As for the material spawning, i dont see the issue. If any Drones abuse it to farm metal/glass for the station, just ban them. Its no different than an Engiborg doing it after all.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29727

Alex Crimson wrote:So if we play as a drone, can we not get cloned/become an Alien? Seems like drones will just take players who could be cloned out of the round.
You make it sound like dronehood is inflicted on unwilling players. I didn't choose the drone life. The drone life chose me.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29733

Being able to instantly become a drone compared to needing to wait for someone to clone you. Its not that surprising that most choose to become a drone. But its just taking people out of the round forever, as once you become a drone you cannot be cloned.

You cant deny thats its going to have a negative effect on the amount of cloning done, because most ghosts will just enter a drone.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29736

Alex Crimson wrote:Being able to instantly become a drone compared to needing to wait for someone to clone you. Its not that surprising that most choose to become a drone. But its just taking people out of the round forever, as once you become a drone you cannot be cloned.

You cant deny thats its going to have a negative effect on the amount of cloning done, because most ghosts will just enter a drone.
Player choice is always preferable. If they want to be cloned, they should probably not click on drones. This seems pretty obvious.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29737

There is no warning message telling you that going drone removes your ability to be cloned, so not everyone is aware of it.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #29738

Alex Crimson wrote:There is no warning message telling you that going drone removes your ability to be cloned, so not everyone is aware of it.
it's in a PR atm, so there will be soon.
私は完璧
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #29758

Drones being able to produce resources and having tools is a far better alternative to the station totally running out of materials and tools when they're needed.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29774

Cipher3 wrote:Drones being able to produce resources and having tools is a far better alternative to the station totally running out of materials and tools when they're needed.
This pls. So much this. Being able to produce their own materials would help oh so much.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #29813

If the station runs out of materials are drones allowed to mine?
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #29842

Drones could mine, but they wouldn't be allowed to deliver the shit to anywhere, only mine, process, use for their own shit and leave the rest whereever they want to store it
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #29849

The issue of drones not having enough materials and / or toolboxes is easily solved without any coding efforts, it's called CARGO BAY

The roboticist who makes the drones tells cargo to order toolbox crates (which contain 3 blue and 3 yellow toolboxes), and order metal and glass crates, and then put them somewhere for the drones to take them from (mech bay)

I know most people seem to think cargo is used for ordering weapons and silly clothing, but you know, they can be useful sometimes, let's NOT take that away from them by giving drones free metal

Making an autolathe for the drones in the mech bay is also the sign of a good science team
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29853

Cargo is great and all, but they would need to be constantly supplying metal crates for there to be enough. Drones go through metal very fast. Cargo doesnt have enough points to be doing this, especially if they are terrible people who gun cargo/order party crates.

Drones would also not be able to order metal if there are any humans around cargo, as they are not allowed to interfere with humans.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #29857

/vg/ had a similar issue where mommis would piss off Cargo Bay and order metal and stuff and waste all their points. I don't know if they ever solved it very well.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #29877

Drones pseudo mesons should be full mesons so they can mine for themselves and hopefully avoid antagonizing cargo too much. Also the middle mouse button hand switch shortcut does not work for them, real handy for something switching hands all the time (yeah I know the other ones are still there).
bandit

Post by bandit » #29917

MisterPerson wrote:/vg/ had a similar issue where mommis would piss off Cargo Bay and order metal and stuff and waste all their points. I don't know if they ever solved it very well.
A fluff way to solve it would be that cargo's ordering computer causes you to interact with Nanotrasen officials, i.e. humans.

admin feedback pls
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #29959

Tested out miner drone, it is viable with just basic gear however without proper mesons or meson toggle finding iron itself is dumb luck while the drone can actually ping all other other ores (with mining scanner) and find them normally.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29967

Mining is dumb. You cannot get the ore out of the ore smelting machine without an ID. If you weld the ore, it takes 15+ fuel for a single sheet of metal. Its not practical at all.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29968

Alex Crimson wrote:Mining is dumb. You cannot get the ore out of the ore smelting machine without an ID. If you weld the ore, it takes 15+ fuel for a single sheet of metal. Its not practical at all.
Drones can use the mining station smelter. The reason miners don't use it is because the mining machine is easier/stores it/gives points. Drones really don't need to care about any of that.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #29982

Miners mostly use the new mining machine because it gives points yeah. Also a note on drone mining, the current conveyer set up on the smelter acts... strangely sometimes not moving anything for a whole minute then bang all normal again.