Expanded PDA function

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Expanded PDA function

Post by Fatal » #29244

Alright, quick idea I have, helped by the recent SECHUD update

I propose, all PDAs, have an emergency request function, similar to a 999 (or 911) call, for Security and Medical emergencies

To stop it being abused, I'd say it should have a 5 minute cooldown on use, and obviously, an emergency request would alert anyone with a SecHUD or a MedHUD of that kind to the request

I know there would be some assistants who would abuse this, but, we can't have nice things without someone abusing it, some ideas for how to stop that would be nice (besides the obvious removing someones PDA if they abuse it)

Would be useful in having to listen to the pointless radio chatter just to hear someone should "SEC TO XXX", when they could alert you via your SecHUD instead (or even medhud, for when you find some crit dude and don't want to drag him to medbay)
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Re: Expanded PDA function

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29256

>making PDAing HoS when being killed in maint legitimate

yeah, I'm not so sure it's a good idea...

I had some similar idea for fire alarms though. Like, making it into "emergency panel" or whatever.
Fatal
In-Game Admin

Post by Fatal » #29259

Panels on the walls that link to HUDs would be a good idea also, but that means mappers have to add the panels

Obviously its not meant to be a life saver when you are being killed in maint, but for when you see someone in need
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29260

No, I meant expanding fire alarms, adding buttons for "medical emergency" and "security emergency" and "engineering emergency", though engineers don't have HUDs. Mesons, I suppose.
Fatal wrote:for when you see someone in need
Radio? PDA messaging?
Fatal
In-Game Admin

Post by Fatal » #29268

The whole point is that it's easy to miss radio messages over the chatter, and PDA messaging ONE specific person can be quite slow, also they might be dead, the PDA alert will let everyone with a HUD know
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29272

Yeah, why not just have security and doctors alerted every time somebody is punched. We could have that, you know. For some reason we don't.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #29274

Make it rely on telecomms being active and/or have EMPs disable it, just like headsets. Abusing it just means whoever uses it will get ignored next time they actually use it for a real emergency.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Fatal
In-Game Admin

Post by Fatal » #29277

I was thinking it should be reliant upon the PDA messaging server, as you would expect, and EMPs should disable it also of course, seems reasonably fair
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #29291

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Yeah, why not just have security and doctors alerted every time somebody is punched. We could have that, you know. For some reason we don't.
>crew monitoring console
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29300

peoplearestrange wrote:>crew monitoring console
>sarcasm
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29302

Fatal wrote: pointless radio chatter
Those are called "other players." Something sec doesn't listen to anyway.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #29321

Hey, PDAs could be a good tool to add a security call function for heads of staff. Sends a message to everyone in security, for example.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #29324

I love it. Using it for no reason, or for a small issue that isn't considered an emergency should be arrestable for the misuse of an emergency hotline (30 sec- 1 min?). Cooldown sounds great, and repeated misuse should be considered obstruction of justice (1 min-2min?). All personnel wearing sec/medHUDs or sec/medi Borgs should get the message in the same format that Beepsky arresting someone produces. Only this should generate a message sort of like:
Urist McGreyshirt is requesting Emergency Assistance near [hallway name]! (x, y)

And it should only display the coordinates of the PDA if the 'Location Services' are enabled. Otherwise, it should give the general location, like near whatever hallway or whatever department, but no specific room, to keep it balanced. Maybe we could have an emergency response team?
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29331

Yeah what about a button that teleports whole security team to your location and spawns medibots all around you
Fatal
In-Game Admin

Post by Fatal » #29341

Please, constructive comments..

I figure the location messages would be the same as the ones beepsky uses, those aren't too specific, but good enough

I honestly don't see why anyone could dislike this, it simply makes knowing where people are needing security easier to handle, it doesn't create any inbalance because it simply replaces the "SEC TO XXXX" on the radio with nice blue messages from your HUD
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #29364

If you add this sort of thing, it might allow more room to buff antags to be more interesting through their tools.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29365

Fatal wrote:Please, constructive comments..
People are already complaining a lot that being antagonist is getting to hard. There is a serious problem in that people can call for help very easily. It's why parapen used to be a must have. Sure, we have EMP and stuff, but it doesn't prevent PDA messaging. It's really easy to get help unless you're in some REALLY remote corner. We really don't need any more ways to do that, especially those that only require you to have PDA in your belt/pocket/ID slot. Having a popup opened with help message ready to be sent is bad enough, this is exactly that, but legitimate, easier, quicker and not considered powergaming.

Especially we don't need this with the trend of removing instawin items like parapen, which is a correct one in my opinion, but it doesn't make sense to also add things that are only counterable by the stuff we want gone.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #29386

This isn't a traitor nerf. Far from it.

>jack some guy's PDA
>send an emergency request in some dark corner of maint
>wack the dumb fool that responds to it alone

It's literally a free security gear button.

or, alternatively
>send the call and chuck the PDA into some locker
>do antag shenanigans while security is distracted

Endless possibilities. People need to get creative.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #29454

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
People are already complaining a lot that being antagonist is getting to hard. There is a serious problem in that people can call for help very easily. It's why parapen used to be a must haver.

Especially we don't need this with the trend of removing instawin items like parapen, which is a correct one in my opinion, but it doesn't make sense to also add things that are only counterable by the stuff we want gone.
You just outlined everything wrong with antags, play to win, and unoriginality. The parapen being nerfed was good, along with C4 not planting on mobs. True, the parapen is pretty much worthless now, but before that being an antag was really too easy. In the workplace, outside dorms, a brief glance in maint...all it took was 5 TC and you had instant removal from the round. Nothing to search for on crew monitoring, nothing to clone, nothing to see here. Paprika's signature at one point was their own personal greentext achieved with 10TC, two parapens and two C4 bricks. Anyone who has ever been parapenned usually assumed they wouldn't have to ghost to observe.

The complaint that it is too hard to be an antag really means "it is too hard to be an antag and win instantly with little to no effort. You mean, you are given tools, abilities, comrades, magic, technology, and other people to assist you in your goals and it's too hard? Not everything will go as planned, but a quick strategy, some deception, and preparation goes a long way. I played YogStation one day, and I was sort of new to science. This roboticist noticed that I struggled and offered to teach me. We talked and spent about 30 minutes completely together, interacting, having a great time, showing me little tricks and everything. He had me make him an EMP chemgrenade to learn grenade production, he instructed me in how to make a basic TTV bomb, and taught me how deactivate cameras by practicing on the camera in the Toxins Test Room. He seemed genuine and sincere, and I trusted him completely. He invites me to watch the testing of the bomb he taught me to make. I ask him to test it already, that I really wanted to see it. He says that I will in a minute. He primes the EMP chemnade I made him and drops it. My headset overloads. I happily say that it works, proud of what I made. He then flashes me, and I began to feel uneasy. I tell him to cut it out when he starts putting his hands around my neck, and I only screamed help when he started extending his proboscis. Too bad nobody heard, since he EMPd my headset with the grenade he taught me to make. Too bad nobody saw me get choked and absorbed, since I disabled the camera that he showed me to deactivate. Too bad I couldn't be found, since he launched my body into the testing area with the mass driver that he now taught me how to activate. Too bad I couldn't be cloned, since he destroyed the testing field with the bomb he taught me how to build. Too bad I never saw it coming, since he worked hard to earn my trust.
He was my teacher. I was his assassination target.

It's too hard to be an antag now if you want an easy way to win instantly every time.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29464

Reimoo wrote:People need to get creative.
Essentially this. When antags don't even bother to consider their own departments 90% of the time, its time to realize its not TC gear that's making the antags bad. Its the antags being uncreative and unrobust.
Silavite
Byond Username: Silavite

Post by Silavite » #29466

Fragnostic wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
People are already complaining a lot that being antagonist is getting to hard. There is a serious problem in that people can call for help very easily. It's why parapen used to be a must haver.

You just outlined everything wrong with antags, play to win, and unoriginality. The parapen being nerfed was good, along with C4 not planting on mobs. True, the parapen is pretty much worthless now, but before that being an antag was really too easy. In the workplace, outside dorms, a brief glance in maint...all it took was 5 TC and you had instant removal from the round. Nothing to search for on crew monitoring, nothing to clone, nothing to see here. Paprika's signature at one point was their own personal greentext achieved with 10TC, two parapens and two C4 bricks. Anyone who has ever been parapenned usually assumed they wouldn't have to ghost to observe.

The complaint that it is too hard to be an antag really means "it is too hard to be an antag and win instantly with little to no effort. You mean, you are given tools, abilities, comrades, magic, technology, and other people to assist you in your goals and it's too hard? Not everything will go as planned, but a quick strategy, some deception, and preparation goes a long way. I played YogStation one day, and I was sort of new to science. This roboticist noticed that I struggled and offered to teach me. We talked and spent about 30 minutes completely together, interacting, having a great time, showing me little tricks and everything. He had me make him an EMP chemgrenade to learn grenade production, he instructed me in how to make a basic TTV bomb, and taught me how deactivate cameras by practicing on the camera in the Toxins Test Room. He seemed genuine and sincere, and I trusted him completely. He invites me to watch the testing of the bomb he taught me to make. I ask him to test it already, that I really wanted to see it. He says that I will in a minute. He primes the EMP chemnade I made him and drops it. My headset overloads. I happily say that it works, proud of what I made. He then flashes me, and I began to feel uneasy. I tell him to cut it out when he starts putting his hands around my neck, and I only screamed help when he started extending his proboscis. Too bad nobody heard, since he EMPd my headset with the grenade he taught me to make. Too bad nobody saw me get choked and absorbed, since I disabled the camera that he showed me to deactivate. Too bad I couldn't be found, since he launched my body into the testing area with the mass driver that he now taught me how to activate. Too bad I couldn't be cloned, since he destroyed the testing field with the bomb he taught me how to build. Too bad I never saw it coming, since he worked hard to earn my trust.
He was my teacher. I was his assassination target.

It's too hard to be an antag now if you want an easy way to win instantly every time.
I've done such things before, but the problem comes when you have to steal the hypospray and the CMO refuses to get out of Odysseus, or when you're a geneticist and you're tasked with killing a shaft miner.... what do you do in that kind of situation?

To the topic at hand, I think it would be a good addition. I also agree that there should be IC brig punishment for misuse of it and that it should be disabled by EMP.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29471

Reimoo wrote:This isn't a traitor nerf. Far from it.

>jack some guy's PDA
>send an emergency request in some dark corner of maint
>wack the dumb fool that responds to it alone

It's literally a free security gear button.
Okay. Then I don't want it because it will be incredibly annoying for me as a security officer. Cooldown is nothing - good luck preventing 30 revs from spamming this thing. Or even a bunch of dorks caught by nuke ops. Yeah, guys, we got it, there are nuke ops, you can stop spamming your shitty button. Oh, right, we cannot tell you that in any way.

I find this whole HUD messaging idea iffy, because it spams you with messages without anything you can do about it and it's just a piece of glass, so it's not really meant for huge interactivity. However, beepsky isn't very spammy by itself, this will be.
Fragnostic wrote:blah blah blah creative
Dude, can you just explain why we need ANOTHER way to call for help?

Like, why add this? What problems will it solve that are problems now?
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #29474

To go along with the discussion in http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1421 , I'd actually like it to be given only to Heads of Staff, and let them input a brief message to be sent as well
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Fatal
In-Game Admin

Post by Fatal » #29496

How about: Being able to turn off the SECHUD message popup, if 30 revs do start spamming it, problem is gone easily (click on sechud whilst in hands to toggle various modes?)

Having it only for heads works as well, to give more power to them, and with there being so few heads, the issue of spam isn't a problem
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29498

Worth mentioning, PDA code is a spaghetti dinosaur.
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #29516

Other functions for the PDA could be stuff like a portable arcade machine, instant camera checking, etc. So much potential with the PDA. 911 and the ability to bomb PDA's are just the tip of the iceberg.

At telecomms, Tech Storage, or made by R&D, we should have more cartridges. Plus more default functions on the PDA. Not all cartridges have to be useful; I would highly enjoy an Arcade Machine and Clown Viruses and other FUN stuff.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #30125

Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?