emags and id consoles. [oh boy]

A place to record your ideas for the game.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

emags and id consoles. [oh boy]

Post by MrStonedOne » #29488

Emags would be able to bruteforce crack id console encryption keys, simply place it in the confirm identity slot of the id console.

Causes the id console screen to become inverted and flash, takes anywhere from 45 to 120 seconds to attempt an access code brute force, and has a chance of doing:
  • 40% chance of adding the requested access to the card
  • 7% chance of wiping all access on the card
  • 2% chance of breaking the id console for 6 minutes with the emag and id card locked inside of it until it unbreaks. It would not be deconnable during this time. c4ing it would cause it to spit out the emag and id card.
ID console access uses special longer encryption keys, that can not be readily brute forced, and thus, can not be hacked with the cryptographic sequencer.

You can change job title text, or name, but they have the same odds as above of working.

Agent cards bring the chance of working to 50% and the other chances to 5 and 1 percent, respectively, and also allow you to change job title and name with 100% success rate.

Job changes are cosmetic only, and can not be used to change the access on the card

Thoughts?
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Re: emags and id consoles. [oh boy]

Post by Scott » #29489

I think the chance of success is too low.
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #29490

The idea here would be that its just designed for adding a few access codes, to allow you to get to somewhere you already want to go, rather then preemptively getting more access when you don't even know you'll need it.
NSFW:
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #29500

With those probabilities, if you continue trying to use the ID console on a normal ID until you get an effect, then you'll get one access 82% of the time, lose all your access 14% of the time, and lose your cards 4% of the time. With an agent ID, the probabilities become 89% success, 9% all access lost, 2% cards locked. You could set these as the direct probabilities for every attempt and the only difference would be less wasted clicking.

As for the choice of probabilities themselves, it seems a bit harsh for the TC and opportunity cost. The concept of making emag plus ID console give you a few extra accesses, but not all access seems like a good one. Might be better to reduce the probabilities down to access granted/ID console fried (but cards retrievable) though just so it doesn't open you up to being so badly screwed by the RNG.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #29503

I like the concept but arrivals sec is gonna be emagged every round.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #29505

Kinda takes the challenge out of getting all-access and turns it into something you can get by spending Telecrystals and not even needing to interact with anyone. Boring.
Arete

Post by Arete » #29507

Alex Crimson wrote:Kinda takes the challenge out of getting all-access and turns it into something you can get by spending Telecrystals and not even needing to interact with anyone. Boring.
Using the probabilities above and assuming that you're starting with a blank card and are willing to keep trying over and over and over again until you get 20 different accesses, you have a 33% chance of succeeding and a 67% chance of locking the console with your items still inside it while it flashes at anyone who walks by for the next six minutes. Using this to get all-access would not be a wise investment.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29508

Would you not just... add HoP access to the card then give yourself all-access by changing it normally? I dont see anything in the first post that states you cannot do something like that.
Arete

Post by Arete » #29510

Alex Crimson wrote:Would you not just... add HoP access to the card then give yourself all-access by changing it normally? I dont see anything in the first post that states you cannot do something like that.
MrStonedOne wrote:ID console access uses special longer encryption keys, that can not be readily brute forced, and thus, can not be hacked with the cryptographic sequencer.
Even if it didn't say so in the first post, it's a pretty obvious fix to be added.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29511

Then apparently i am missing something. So you cannot actually add access to a card, just change the job title/name?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #29512

You can add any access aside from ID Console access.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29513

"ID Console access"does that include all heads, or just HoP/Captain? All heads have a limited ability to use the ID console for demoting after all. If its only the HoP/Captain, then you could add HoS/RD/CMO/CE access and have the ability to go pretty much anywhere, including the AI upload. Then just OneHuman the AI and get all-access from it.

Still seems pretty boring to me if you can add any head access to the cards. If not, then you just give yourself Warden access and stroll into the Armory. Much more stealthy than just Emagging your way in.
Arete

Post by Arete » #29514

Access doesn't work that way. Each airlock has its own required access, and no access necessarily requires any other access. So, for example, if the HoP gives someone Captain access (not actually giving them the captain job), then that just allows them into the captain's room, but not through the bridge's external airlocks or anywhere else on the station.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #29517

Then i guess it wouldnt be overpowered. Tators would need to have a clear idea of the access they want. The most popular would probably be bridge/ai upload/captains quarters i imagine.

If you are just adding 3-4 access levels then it seems like a really good stealth option compared to just emagging your way through everything.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #29518

Emags are for breaking shit/into shit without caring that it's obvious. Being able to just give your access with it seems dull. Also the arrivals console is going to get stolen and used in maint literally every round. And if it gets broken, you just decon it and try again.

Honestly I don't think it would make the game more interesting.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29522

>literally every traitor having all access

No. I'm sorry, but absolutely not. The chances are a joke, it's also completely against what emag is. It's not a super ultimate universal hacking device. It's a device that fucks up circuitry.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #29525

Doesn't the emag ALREADY do that?

If your murder target/steal objective is in science, emag the fucking door from maint and get out.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29547

Saegrimr wrote:Doesn't the emag ALREADY do that?
If you're talking about all access, no, there's a huge difference between permanently breaking everything you want to access and using everything without leaving ANY signs of tampering with. Also there's stuff that cannot be accessed by emags, such as any consoles that require an ID.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29561

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:Doesn't the emag ALREADY do that?
If you're talking about all access, no, there's a huge difference between permanently breaking everything you want to access and using everything without leaving ANY signs of tampering with. Also there's stuff that cannot be accessed by emags, such as any consoles that require an ID.
I think that was mostly the point. Emags are a general access tool. They're limited by the fact that the damage they do cannot be reversed. Some of the additional benefits like emagged borgs or the crusher or whatever are cool to have added on because they add something to the game and add something to the item at the same time. Giving the item a way to bypass its own restrictions with the caveat that it breaks X% of the time doesn't really do much for me.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #29573

I don't like the idea of having a tiny chance of being screwed over for 6 minutes. RNG is mercilessly cruel and only a sadistic coder would favor using it.
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #29714

The amount of people who commented without even reading my post.

Oh fucking boy.

I might actually make a new rule because of this thread.
NSFW:
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #29722

bandit wrote:I like the concept but arrivals sec is gonna be emagged every round.
or the circuit in tech storage
The future is horrible!
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #29831

If you only need to get into a few areas and already have an emag, why bother playing Russian Roulette when you can just emag into wherever the fuck you're wanting to go?
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #29899

MisterPerson wrote:If you only need to get into a few areas and already have an emag, why bother playing Russian Roulette when you can just emag into wherever the fuck you're wanting to go?
cool story broh
Because you get lasered for the emagg
The future is horrible!
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #30042

This implies you're getting caught at all. Isn't the entire point to not get caught?
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #30099

Because there are more excuses for having an ID with illicit access than being in possession of an emag.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #30129

I don't find the emag very useful, since it only takes a few seconds to hack a door open anyway.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30133

oranges wrote:I don't find the emag very useful, since it only takes a few seconds to hack a door open anyway.
Sometimes you don't have the time or space for a toolbelt/box. Also, emags are generally more useful for things like crates/lockers/borgs/some consoles.
Ezel

Post by Ezel » #30220

Reimoo wrote:Because there are more excuses for having an ID with illicit access than being in possession of an emag.
Every round hop gets blamed
The future is horrible!