Non-slip tiles.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Non-slip tiles.

Post by Cuboos » #30463

*puts riot helmet on in preparation for lynching*

So people get slipped a lot, some times its fun (if you're the one doing the tripping) some times it's annoying (if you're the one getting tripped). For simple wet floors we have walking, but that's stupid and no one pays attention. Goulashes and non-slip shoes help some but only those who ware it.

sprite idea.

I was thinking there could be a non-slip floor tile that could be used to replace other tiles and would remain slip proof if wet with the exception of things like banana peels, soap, clown PDA. I don't think these should be placed by default anywhere except maybe high hazard areas like parts of engineering or maybe chemistry (where logically a trip could result in a catastrophic accident). They should be craft-able or at least acquirable some how. Such as made only in protolathe (or maybe just regular crafting) or ordering from cargo. Something to make placing these all over the station very difficult but entirely impossible.
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: Non-slip tiles.

Post by Psyentific » #30476

Fabricate them from an Autolathe. Protolathe means they'll never see any use.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30499

Psyentific wrote:Fabricate them from an Autolathe. Protolathe means they'll never see any use.
It actually means they'll see limited use. Which is alright for something cornercase like this. I wouldn't want to see a station covered in these things any more than I'd want to see those new plasma tiles everywhere. (and the latter doesn't even require a lathe at all.)
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #30506

What if you apply Plasteel to a normal floor tile, then? In the same way you'd apply metal rods to glass to make R-glass? I just don't want to see yet another cool toy given only to R&D, and left to rot and be forgotten about in the annals of all the other cool but never used shit the Protolathe has.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30516

Psyentific wrote:What if you apply Plasteel to a normal floor tile, then? In the same way you'd apply metal rods to glass to make R-glass? I just don't want to see yet another cool toy given only to R&D, and left to rot and be forgotten about in the annals of all the other cool but never used shit the Protolathe has.
>nobody will ever give RnD a shotgun to play with

Also, 90% of that cool shit the protolathe makes only sits there unused because nobody feels like asking for it.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #30587

You want to replace whole floor with shitty yellow tiles just so people don't slip on water? Just ask chemistry for space cleaner or chaplain for holy water.

That is not to mention that retards who don't pay attention and run around all the time getting rekt is a big part of janitor. Reducing the ability to wet floors (I'm looking at you, shitty huge tank full of space cleaner for no reason) is like adding a longer cooldown to clown's bike horn.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #30596

cedarbridge wrote: Also, 90% of that cool shit the protolathe makes only sits there unused because nobody feels like asking for it.
Have you tried being proactive about it? Show people the cool shit R&D can give them.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30621

Psyentific wrote:
cedarbridge wrote: Also, 90% of that cool shit the protolathe makes only sits there unused because nobody feels like asking for it.
Have you tried being proactive about it? Show people the cool shit R&D can give them.
Medbay always forgets that pico maniuplators make their sleepers amazing.
The chef doesn't realize that a laser upgrade makes his microwaves starvation serial killers.
People (for some reason) ignore R&D when blobs happen.
Sec rarely shows up for NV Sec Huds and the like, even when they're announced to them directly.

I've tried. People don't like nice things and the only ones who ever show up for those things are greyshirts and a few of the upgrades (chef especially) will usually just refuse to open their door when somebody shows up to upgrade.

People are dumb.

Fake Edit: Unless you meant "kit myself out in all of the shit in R&D and run around with it." Though I thought that was already my sacred duty as an R&D tech and a telescientist.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #30629

Maybe because nobody likes doing RnD and on the rare occasion when it is done nobody knows about it.

RnD should just get a mailing room or a MULE or something.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #30636

Would the tiles stop slipping from space lube? If so then I could see this as a great way to combat people lubing up the hallways near airlocks.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30660

Reimoo wrote:Maybe because nobody likes doing RnD and on the rare occasion when it is done nobody knows about it.

Its really weird that there is wrapping paper in every department but the only mailing taggers sit in the mailroom and almost never get used.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #30663

The wrappers are for making packages, it's just that nobody makes deliveries. And yeah, cargo never works.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #30691

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:You want to replace whole floor with shitty yellow tiles just so people don't slip on water? Just ask chemistry for space cleaner or chaplain for holy water.

That is not to mention that retards who don't pay attention and run around all the time getting rekt is a big part of janitor. Reducing the ability to wet floors (I'm looking at you, shitty huge tank full of space cleaner for no reason) is like adding a longer cooldown to clown's bike horn.
No, not the whole floor, just parts of high risk areas. Where (from and IC standpoint) a trip could prove hazardous, such as engineering or chemistry. Where a trip (could, theoretically) cause a disaster. But provide some option for "enterprising" -- bored -- assistants or engineers or who ever could find a way to replace the tiles with the non-slip ones and be the hero the station needs Tator target number 1.
QuartzCrystal wrote:Would the tiles stop slipping from space lube? If so then I could see this as a great way to combat people lubing up the hallways near airlocks.
I was hoping this would be the case. At the moment there isn't a way to fight space lube or blue tomatoes. Not even Syndicate Non-slip shoes can fight it. But have it be difficult enough to obtain that space lube isn't rendered useless either.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30693

Cuboos wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:You want to replace whole floor with shitty yellow tiles just so people don't slip on water? Just ask chemistry for space cleaner or chaplain for holy water.

No, not the whole floor, just parts of high risk areas. Where (from and IC standpoint) a trip could prove hazardous, such as engineering or chemistry. Where a trip (could, theoretically) cause a disaster. But provide some option for "enterprising" -- bored -- assistants or engineers or who ever could find a way to replace the tiles with the non-slip ones and be the hero the station needs Tator target number 1.
QuartzCrystal wrote:Would the tiles stop slipping from space lube? If so then I could see this as a great way to combat people lubing up the hallways near airlocks.
I was hoping this would be the case. At the moment there isn't a way to fight space lube or blue tomatoes. Not even Syndicate Non-slip shoes can fight it. But have it be difficult enough to obtain that space lube isn't rendered useless either.
A non-slip surface should not stop slipery items from doing what they do. Tomatoes and the like shouldn't depend on the sort of floor tile they're on.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #30697

cedarbridge wrote: A non-slip surface should not stop slipery items from doing what they do. Tomatoes and the like shouldn't depend on the sort of floor tile they're on.
I'm talking about thrown blue tomatoes, which cover the tile in motor oil, which acts the same as space lube. And as i said previously, i think slippery items such as banana peels and the clown's PDA should remain unaffected.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #30707

cedarbridge wrote:Sec rarely shows up for NV Sec Huds and the like, even when they're announced to them directly.
As a note to this, NV Sec HUDs are retardedly non-flash proof whereas normal HUDs are.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #30708

You either have night vision or flash protection.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #30712

cedarbridge wrote:
Reimoo wrote:Maybe because nobody likes doing RnD and on the rare occasion when it is done nobody knows about it.

Its really weird that there is wrapping paper in every department but the only mailing taggers sit in the mailroom and almost never get used.
I think the intent was people would ship their items to cargo, with a note that indicates the end location and then cargo would transfer the crate to that location with the destination tagger.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #30714

Scott wrote:You either have night vision or flash protection.
The RnD objects are a marked improvement. Energy guns turn into self-recharging energy guns and heavy-duty laser cannons. Micro manipulators that allow sleepers to do basic things turn into pico manipulators so you can just stuff someone with ALL DA FUN CHEMICALS. Literally everything about RnD is about working for a gain, and flashes are the easiest stun method to acquire. Why would I want to forsake my only effective method of denying someone an easy stun method in exchange for a feature that could be replaced with keeping a lit flare in my pocket when I move into maintenance?
Spoiler:

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30721

Cipher3 wrote:
Scott wrote:You either have night vision or flash protection.
The RnD objects are a marked improvement. Energy guns turn into self-recharging energy guns and heavy-duty laser cannons. Micro manipulators that allow sleepers to do basic things turn into pico manipulators so you can just stuff someone with ALL DA FUN CHEMICALS. Literally everything about RnD is about working for a gain, and flashes are the easiest stun method to acquire. Why would I want to forsake my only effective method of denying someone an easy stun method in exchange for a feature that could be replaced with keeping a lit flare in my pocket when I move into maintenance?
The general upshot is, sometimes you don't want whoever you're chasing to see your (hurr durr byond light) light glow charging down the maint tunnel. Alternatively, dealing with the ThatGuy with the thermals and esword in that part of the station with the busted out lights. Your flare's just going to let you have a better look after he ebows you outside its radius.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #30729

So basically I should carry NV HUDs because of that ONE situation where it would help me a bit as I stroll into my opponent's element where he's clearly prepared to ambush me.
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #30734

Cipher3 wrote:So basically I should carry NV HUDs because of that ONE situation where it would help me a bit as I stroll into my opponent's element where he's clearly prepared to ambush me.
^^
If you give NVHuds flash protection, guarantee they'll see a lot more use.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #31036

I like how this went from a discuss about the benefit and downside of non-slip tiles to the usefulness of RnD.
omnitricks

Post by omnitricks » #40872

Science showers and showers near the holodeck should spawn automatically full with these because showers slip.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #40880

omnitricks wrote:Science showers and showers near the holodeck should spawn automatically full with these because showers slip.
I always thought it was kinda stupid that you could slip on shower squares, but then I remember that spessmen always "run" everywhere.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #41021

I'm going to close this since the idea was implemented. Feel free to make a new thread in Feedback if you want to talk about this more
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter