Character Traits

A place to record your ideas for the game.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Character Traits

Post by SpaceInaba » #379097

Do I really have to explain this its pretty self explanatory I just wanna see what you guys think of it
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
pogoco25
Byond Username: Pogoco25

Re: Character Traits

Post by pogoco25 » #379098

Roleplay? In MY deathmatch station?
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #379104

Imolement it
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #379107

It'd probably be easy to implement something like this but I'm not sure of which traits would be interesting or neat that wouldn't break the flow or be mandatory to take
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #379111

Just keep it to shit that has no balance requirements/is a straight downgrade, i.e language gimmicks (italian, swedish borks) and nearsightedness.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #379126

Roundstart missing limbs
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #379171

Roundstart addictions
Minor starting trinkets, like a hat or a jumpsuit accessory
Funny accents
Criminal record
Medical record
Misspelling on your ID
Start with a tablet instead of a PDA
Roundstart phobia
Roundstart disabilities
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #379186

Anonmare wrote:Roundstart addictions
Funny accents
Criminal record
Medical record
Misspelling on your ID
Roundstart phobia
Roundstart disabilities
>start round with every genetic disability
>go geneticist
>save own genes then clean self and make the perfect human
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #379197

Anonmare wrote:Funny accents
I think having accents be traits is almost a disservice to the dedicated few who keep up their IC accents but it would be funny yeah
Limey wrote:its too late.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #379198

I am surprised this hasnt been met with a storm of "GO BACK TO BAY RP FAGGITS REEEE" since it is a baystation feature and would be pretty cool to have
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #379202

Wyzack wrote:I am surprised this hasnt been met with a storm of "GO BACK TO BAY RP FAGGITS REEEE" since it is a baystation feature and would be pretty cool to have
me too actually. i always thought traits were kind of neat and that it would be cool if we had them (minus things where you cant pilot a mech unless you have the mech pilot trait, cant cook food without chef trait, etc). obviously we'd have to account for powergame-able traits here, like we absolutely cant let people start with guns for example
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #379203

Yeah, but something easy to get like a zippo lighter or pair of prescription glasses would be cool
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #379204

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Funny accents
Criminal record
Medical record
Misspelling on your ID
Roundstart phobia
Roundstart disabilities
>go geneticist
Feature
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #379239

Anonmare wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Funny accents
Criminal record
Medical record
Misspelling on your ID
Roundstart phobia
Roundstart disabilities
>go geneticist
Feature
this actually reminds me i dont remember which game but my friend was telling me about some tabletop he was playing where character creation basically had a trait system where you have point values on each, with good traits costing points and bad traits giving points, and somebody managed to minmax it hard enough to make a character that was blind, deaf, mute, couldnt feel, had no arms, no legs, no hair, no ears, no nose, was sickly, and had bad proportions preventing him from wearing most clothing items, BUT was all-knowing and could time travel. so basically you have just a naked torso that you cant really interact with beyond letting it smell things but it can vanish from existence now and then. they stuck sticky notes to him to try to send messages back in time but couldnt reliably communicate well enough through smell to get them to the right destinations. pretty funny
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #379263

I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #379265

I just wanna start with a mechanical arm
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #379279

Qbopper wrote:
I think having accents be traits is almost a disservice to the dedicated few who keep up their IC accents but it would be funny yeah
As one of such people, I for one would welcome the approach to more character diversity. Most of the accents we have in the game currently aren't really heavy and affect the text in a very minor way. Besides, stocks in apostrophes will go up and I'll be able to sell high.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #379283

Nilons wrote:I just wanna start with a mechanical arm
This please. Round start augments all day erry day. Even if it means heavily rebalancing them/limiting to one limb.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #379302

Xhagi wrote:
This please. Round start augments all day erry day. Even if it means heavily rebalancing them/limiting to one limb.
Or you can just have people spawn with the el-cheapo mechanical arms that medbay gets.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #379307

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Anonmare wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Funny accents
Criminal record
Medical record
Misspelling on your ID
Roundstart phobia
Roundstart disabilities
>go geneticist
Feature
this actually reminds me i dont remember which game but my friend was telling me about some tabletop he was playing where character creation basically had a trait system where you have point values on each, with good traits costing points and bad traits giving points, and somebody managed to minmax it hard enough to make a character that was blind, deaf, mute, couldnt feel, had no arms, no legs, no hair, no ears, no nose, was sickly, and had bad proportions preventing him from wearing most clothing items, BUT was all-knowing and could time travel. so basically you have just a naked torso that you cant really interact with beyond letting it smell things but it can vanish from existence now and then. they stuck sticky notes to him to try to send messages back in time but couldnt reliably communicate well enough through smell to get them to the right destinations. pretty funny
I did this in a game once, the system had an attribute for owning a vehicle/mecha and it was basically just "drop 4 of your character points, get 20 back for building your vehicle" so you made your character weaker in order to make their vehicle stronger

I basically just made a character that was a posibrain and dumped the rest into various robots/drones
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #379312

Okand37 wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
As one of such people, I for one would welcome the approach to more character diversity. Most of the accents we have in the game currently aren't really heavy and affect the text in a very minor way. Besides, stocks in apostrophes will go up and I'll be able to sell high.
yeah I was half memeing it would be a neat touch and would miss some of the specific nuances that you can't get with code (or at least can't get easily with code)
Limey wrote:its too late.
darkpaladin109
Byond Username: Darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #379329

Dr_bee wrote:
Xhagi wrote:
Or you can just have people spawn with the el-cheapo mechanical arms that medbay gets.
Best way to do this IMO.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #379393

People seem to have had the idea after I started working on it, but now you don't have to worry! I added a Prosthetic Limb trait, that randomly replaces one of your arms or legs with a surplus prosthetic variant. It gives you +1 points (since it's a negative one.)
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #379406

Xhuis wrote:People seem to have had the idea after I started working on it, but now you don't have to worry! I added a Prosthetic Limb trait, that randomly replaces one of your arms or legs with a surplus prosthetic variant. It gives you +1 points (since it's a negative one.)
prosthetics is a very very small downside compared to the other ones, it has to be a much worse limb.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #379408

Armhulen wrote:
Xhuis wrote:People seem to have had the idea after I started working on it, but now you don't have to worry! I added a Prosthetic Limb trait, that randomly replaces one of your arms or legs with a surplus prosthetic variant. It gives you +1 points (since it's a negative one.)
prosthetics is a very very small downside compared to the other ones, it has to be a much worse limb.
The surplus limbs medbay gets have a max damage of 20 before they become useless, which is almost 3x worse than a regular limb at 75. They also suffer the same issues with EMPs as their superior counterparts do, so they seem like enough of a downside for +1.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #379409

MMMiracles wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
The surplus limbs medbay gets have a max damage of 20 before they become useless, which is almost 3x worse than a regular limb at 75. They also suffer the same issues with EMPs as their superior counterparts do, so they seem like enough of a downside for +1.
but you can also take them off and replace them with a proper limb with relative ease
Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #379410

PKPenguin321 wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
but you can also take them off and replace them with a proper limb with relative ease
Nearsightedness can be cured pretty easily too, but the main thing is that you still help from another person. You'll also need to do this every single round you have this rolled to try and game a system that gives benefits minor enough to where they might come into use every 10ish rounds.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #379411

MMMiracles wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
Nearsightedness can be cured pretty easily too, but the main thing is that you still help from another person.
No, the trait in the PR overrides genetics
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #379412

I don't think that traits should be a thing that overrides traumas and genetics and all that with it's own system, it should just be applying these as traumas or genetic traits or spawning with limbs and stuff
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #379415

Traits don't override traumas and genetics; they utilize the already-existing trait system to prevent certain ones from being cured by roundstart. For instance, eye surgery cannot fix nearsightedness, due to starting with it at the beginning of the round.

Surplus prosthetic limbs are weak and will break very quickly. They can be replaced with others, true, but so can normal arms and legs in the first place. It's a negative trait because you have to go out of your way to do so if you want to neutralize the downside, whereas traits like nearsightedness physically can't be removed if you start with them roundstart.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #379418

You should make regular mechanical limbs an option but have it cost points instead of give them
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #379716

You could just make it so that the patient has a hyperactive immune system which rejects all limbs via slowly eating them alive and turning the limb necrotic except for prosthetics or just outright refusing actual limbs if you want an actual lore/downside bit to it.

I think just having a point neutral mechanical limb that grants no advantages and a disadvantage with EMPAbleness would be cool, could be expanded kinda like bay did with mechanical organs. Would be hilarious to watch a wizard EMP his own heart out roundstart because it's his disability or for a nuke op to be teamkilled and suffocate to death off of a stray ion shot. It's the future, where are my augmented humans?