Nerfing OP races to use them at round start.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Nerfing OP races to use them at round start.

Post by Dr_bee » #379871

I enjoy the inclusion of moths to the station.

In the dubious lore Nanotrasen is known to use cheap non-human labor, angering the human only syndicates, plus with sci-fi having various alien life forms is a trope of the genre that I think can be fleshed out more.

I was brainstorming different race types when, thinking about what type of life forms we dont currently have. We dont have round start plant based life-forms or round start mineral based life forms, and in thinking about that, I remembered we DO have Golems and Pod-people as in-round races.

It would make sense for Pod-people, golems, and to a lesser extent slime people that survive rounds to continue their employment on nanotrasen stations, so adding them as round start races would be an easy enough thing to do.

However all three of those races are more powerful than humans, which means they CANT be round start races.

So, why not nerf the hell out of them, or make nerfed versions of them, to let people start as slime people scientists or pod people botanists.

I have some ideas as to how this can be done, also other changes to the non-human races to make them more unique, especially medically, and I would love if other people would also share any ideas they may have, especially as to how the three races mentioned earlier can be brought down to round-start worthy levels of power.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Nerfing OP races to use them at round start.

Post by cedarbridge » #379872

Dr_bee wrote:I enjoy the inclusion of moths to the station.

In the dubious lore Nanotrasen is known to use cheap non-human labor, angering the human only syndicates, plus with sci-fi having various alien life forms is a trope of the genre that I think can be fleshed out more.

I was brainstorming different race types when, thinking about what type of life forms we dont currently have. We dont have round start plant based life-forms or round start mineral based life forms, and in thinking about that, I remembered we DO have Golems and Pod-people as in-round races.

It would make sense for Pod-people, golems, and to a lesser extent slime people that survive rounds to continue their employment on nanotrasen stations, so adding them as round start races would be an easy enough thing to do.

However all three of those races are more powerful than humans, which means they CANT be round start races.

So, why not nerf the hell out of them, or make nerfed versions of them, to let people start as slime people scientists or pod people botanists.

I have some ideas as to how this can be done, also other changes to the non-human races to make them more unique, especially medically, and I would love if other people would also share any ideas they may have, especially as to how the three races mentioned earlier can be brought down to round-start worthy levels of power.
I'd rather we kept the classic transformation races as transformation races so that the remain a reward for doing your job. It loses a lot of that reward potential (and requires a nerf) to force them into roundstart meme status. Not worth it.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #379873

Slime People

Slime people are an easy enough change, they already have considerable disadvantages when compared to normal humans if you remove the splitting power.

So why not just do that, roundstart slime people would just be normal slime people without the splitting power. The splitting power can be unlocked via mutation toxin in xenobiology as normal.

The only possible other problem with roundstart slime people would be their resistance to non-cold based burn damage, but considering they take 4x as much damage from cold that might be a strength worth keeping.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #379874

Pod People

A much harder race to balance considering their healing over time.

That needs to go.

My other suggestion is to make them medically completely different from humans.
They should have unique blood, and normal healing chemicals should have no effect on them at all.

They should probably not be able to eat as well, outside of liquids. Nutriment would become a slow healing chem to them, but only if it is in liquid or pill form, they cant actually digest anything.

Healing can be done via botany fertilizers or plain nutriment, and should be considerably slower than other life forms. Nutrition should be linked to light like it currently is.

It would make for interesting gameplay for medical and bring podpeople's power down a few notches.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #379875

Golems

Trying to round-start golems is going to be difficult. So a new golem type should be made, and have that be round start.

Call them elder golems or something, bullshit lore that golems get more brittle with age.

This can be an excuse to remove alot of their armor, their space-proof ability, and possibly allowing them to wear more than nothing at all.

Golem medicine should also be changed, it makes no sense for styptic powder to heal a creature with no blood.

So golems would not get healed by healing chemicals, and would need mineral based chemicals to heal, and slowly.

Iron, aluminum, silicon and the like would heal. rarer minerals like uranium, gold, and silver would heal faster.

The slowdown would obviously stay.
Gratian
Byond Username: Pdgamer

Post by Gratian » #379878

This is how you bring in furries.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #379879

Gratian wrote:This is how you bring in furries.
I fail to see how plant and mineral based life forms, which is part of the whole sci-fi thing, would bring in furries.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #379899

if you refused to include anything because somebody somewhere had a fetish for it you'd have to remove everything

even the floor tiles thanks to that one tile patterns guy on 4chan
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #379906

remove all roundstart races but humans and lizards
remove all non-roundstart races but podpeople, flies and golems
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #379914

Give them an inch and they want to take a mile
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #379954

D&B wrote:Give them an inch and they want to take a mile
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #379955

This must be the slippery slope I hear so much about.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #379970

Slippery Slope is a type of fallacy but slippery slopes can happen
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #380063

1) the furries are already here
2) no please we dont need any more roundstart races for people to start drama over
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #380074

SLIPPERY SLOPE
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #380081

BeeSting12 wrote:This must be the slippery slope I hear so much about.
/
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Sweets
Byond Username: Reondin

Post by Sweets » #380116

1. No
2. No
3. Carpians, Vox and Dullahans are next in line.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #380128

CosmicScientist wrote:Carpe diem are next?
Well an aquatic lifeform would be neat, I was hoping that crab people idea would actually get implemented as it would tick the aquatic creature and non-human form creature sci-fi race boxes.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #380167

can we make a PR for real life that causes users to burst into flame when they try to claim that something will "bring furries" or whatever along those lines
Limey wrote:its too late.
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #380168

lets just ban all non furries so nobody will ever complain
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #380171

SpaceInaba wrote:lets just ban all non furries so nobody will ever complain
now the question is "what constitutes a furry"
Limey wrote:its too late.
SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #380173

Qbopper wrote:
me
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #380450

Let's add mi go as playable race and nerf humans.To show their misery before otherwordly overlords
UltimateGamer21
Byond Username: Catnapearwigs

Post by UltimateGamer21 » #380456

I think OP's brain got nerfed on his way to the Submit Post button
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #380586

I was hoping for actual constructive criticism or ideas, but I guess I was naive to think that this wouldnt become more than a hut thread outside the hut.
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #380718

Dr_bee wrote:I was hoping for actual constructive criticism or ideas, but I guess I was naive to think that this wouldnt become more than a hut thread outside the hut.
I didn't add any input because I personally think that the current meta is good with those races as goals instead of standard. One would need to add in extra races for those goals instead, and as not to associate with stereotypes.

I like the progression for plant people as it is, for example. If lets say the cloning pod goes down, start growing people instead. One time my friend was chaplain and worshipped plants. He killed himself and was reborn as a pod person. Everyone started to kill themselves to become pod people with his plant cult. Eventually the command staff was getting nervous about an uprising of the plant people, and started escalating the situation, attempting to stop the plant people. Before you knew it, they killed some of the command staff and reborn them as plant people.

If plant people were available from the beginning, a fun story like this wouldn't be possible. Nerfing existing items is difficult to get traction for, especially due to the fear of furries and the like. You'll need to make a more compelling argument to do so other than only to add races to an already large lineup.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #380735

NanookoftheNorth wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:I was hoping for actual constructive criticism or ideas, but I guess I was naive to think that this wouldnt become more than a hut thread outside the hut.
I didn't add any input because I personally think that the current meta is good with those races as goals instead of standard. One would need to add in extra races for those goals instead, and as not to associate with stereotypes.

I like the progression for plant people as it is, for example. If lets say the cloning pod goes down, start growing people instead. One time my friend was chaplain and worshipped plants. He killed himself and was reborn as a pod person. Everyone started to kill themselves to become pod people with his plant cult. Eventually the command staff was getting nervous about an uprising of the plant people, and started escalating the situation, attempting to stop the plant people. Before you knew it, they killed some of the command staff and reborn them as plant people.

If plant people were available from the beginning, a fun story like this wouldn't be possible. Nerfing existing items is difficult to get traction for, especially due to the fear of furries and the like. You'll need to make a more compelling argument to do so other than only to add races to an already large lineup.
This is the kind of conversation I am asking for, thank you.

First my reasoning for wanting to add these races as roundstart races is because the sprites already exist in the game, and there is a lore reason for their inclusion on round start. Also alien races working in concert is a well used and loved sci-fi trope, and making biologically unique races would make certain jobs like medbay, and to a lesser extent the chef, more interesting.

I also dont see how making pod people round-start would prevent the story you described from happening. I am not suggesting removing the current ways to obtain the races. In fact, keeping them in as more powerful versions of the roundstart versions of the races keeps their place as a reward for cooperation and round progression.
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #380761

Having OP races at round start sounds like a good use for some kind of reward currency that I know has been floated around a few times, and I think some other servers have such a thing also

Might be worth looking at that option instead of nerfing the races, and to keep the rarity factor
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #380784

CosmicScientist wrote:
SpaceInaba wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
me
Inaba and anyone who has ever played a nonhuman race at roundstart is a fag de fur.
ligga please
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #380827

Fatal wrote:Having OP races at round start sounds like a good use for some kind of reward currency that I know has been floated around a few times, and I think some other servers have such a thing also

Might be worth looking at that option instead of nerfing the races, and to keep the rarity factor
I was thinking just having the old method to gain the power "unlock" the OP parts of the race like the healing, or space-proof-ness or splitting.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #380836

if it has the word race in the title thne it will probably be treated as a shed post
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Pascal125
Byond Username: Pascal123

Post by Pascal125 » #381190

Qbopper wrote:
Any open-minded person willing to consider themselves a furry.
Rude and abrasive; I apologise in advance. I play Betrays-Its-Kin if you wanna Metagrudge me.