Xeno queen preventing shuttle departure

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Xeno queen preventing shuttle departure

Post by Slignerd » #382389

It's ridiculous that the shuttle gets called as soon as xenos get spotted at all. Usually despite the crew already being armed to the teeth with lasers and mechs by the time when xenos even start. Over my last three xeno rounds, the shuttle was called before the first infected host even burst, with only one alien and a queen - and departed before any larva matured. And honestly, with xenos being such a rare event, getting my round ended before it really kicked off, solely thanks to the crew's ability to press two buttons, didn't really feel fair.

I think the crew should either attempt and succeed at kiling the queen, or be punished by xenos reaching endgame. Similarly, the xenos either fuck up and get wiped out, or get rewarded for succeeding, by getting to reach endgame. I don't believe xenos should be punished for the crew being too incompetent to clear out a small hive.

Implementation concept:
  • If there's a living alien queen on the station Z-level, the shuttle stays on the station due to the hostile environment.
  • Once the hostile environment is announced, the pinpointer points towards the queen.
  • Hostile environment is resolved either by the queen's death, the queen leaving the station Z-level or the queen interacting with the shuttle console.
  • Regardless of whether or not the shuttle was able to leave, once the humanoid to xenomorth ratio on the station Z-level reaches 1:3, the round ends.
The main takeaways from this proposal is that the crew is forced to at least attempt confronting the xenos, the xenos get to take over the station if they do well, and the round isn't extended for too long once it's clear that the xenos won. And no, it's not possible for another queen to evolve after the first's death to prolong the round - the time required for xenos to recover from the queen's loss is longer than the 3 minutes it takes for the shuttle to take off.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Re: Xeno queen preventing shuttle departure

Post by Togopal » #382395

Xenos are a round ending antag and unless the crew has mechs available it always results the same way: boring steamroll with no competition. Dont extend the time it takes to end the round, its bad enough that blob can do this

Though the round ending ratio is a pretty good idea if the crew is unable to call the shuttle without admin intervention

SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #382397

as someone who frequently manages to roll xeno queen I can and I will delay the round until the admins cave in and press the deathsquad button 100% of the time and there is nothing you can do to stop me because I have a ton of health, am spaceproof, have a ranged inbuilt tazer, have a 360 knockback stun, can throw creatures that make you fall asleep and then spawn more xenos, heal while standing in my base, can lay more facehugger eggs than the average human has dna segments, can build walls, create a lesser queen to take over when I die, pry open doors, and melt through walls.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #382398

>Round ending side antag
>Can't end the round

Oh I am laffing
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #382399

SpaceInaba wrote:as someone who frequently manages to roll xeno queen I can and I will delay the round until the admins cave in and press the deathsquad button 100% of the time and there is nothing you can do to stop me because I have a ton of health, am spaceproof, have a ranged inbuilt tazer, have a 360 knockback stun, can throw creatures that make you fall asleep and then spawn more xenos, heal while standing in my base, can lay more facehugger eggs than the average human has dna segments, can build walls, create a lesser queen to take over when I die, pry open doors, and melt through walls.
You forgot to mention that a standard disarm on an unarmed humanoid keeps them down for as long as an ebow bolt and its a 100% chance

SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #382400

Togopal wrote:
SpaceInaba wrote:as someone who frequently manages to roll xeno queen I can and I will delay the round until the admins cave in and press the deathsquad button 100% of the time and there is nothing you can do to stop me because I have a ton of health, am spaceproof, have a ranged inbuilt tazer, have a 360 knockback stun, can throw creatures that make you fall asleep and then spawn more xenos, heal while standing in my base, can lay more facehugger eggs than the average human has dna segments, can build walls, create a lesser queen to take over when I die, pry open doors, and melt through walls.
You forgot to mention that a standard disarm on an unarmed humanoid keeps them down for as long as an ebow bolt and its a 100% chance
I forgot about that because usually they never get close enough for me to need to do that because I throw a facehugger down the hallway
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #382403

As someone who frequently tries to roll regular xeno, I will attempt to enjoy the chance to finally play as one and do xeno things such as capturing people to grow the size of my hive, only for the crew to call the shuttle right as they spot me, before anyone infected even burst, forcing me to either get stranded and give up on the round entirely, or go into the shuttle and get swarmed by dozens of fight capable crewmembers and a few mechs, all of which would be fully able to take xenos on without the shuttle call.
Last edited by Slignerd on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #382404

I (and several others) already discussed at length why this was a bad idea in discord.

People are of course free to discuss this as much they want, just want to make sure people know both that they are unlikely to convince slig and that such a change has very little chance of ever getting in the game anyway.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #382405

It is not a bad idea, and Inaba's post is a fictional scenario of "don't add this cus I'll use this for griefing" which is an argument that could be used against literally everything in the game. It fails to address the concept of humanoid to xenomorph ratio, or the fact that the crew would be able to locate them and hunt them down.

Which would be infinitely more interesting than "someone got to play as xenos, time to force a server reset"
Last edited by Slignerd on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #382406

Slignerd wrote:As someone who frequently tries to roll regular xeno, I will attempt to enjoy the chance to finally play as one and do xeno things such as capturing people to grow the size of my hive, only for the crew to call the shuttle right as they spot me, before anyone infected even burst, forcing me to either get stranded and give up on the round entirely, or go into the shuttle and get swarmed by dozens of fight capable crewmembers and a few mech, all of which would be fully able to take xenos on.
You have a ten minute grace period before your presence is announced over the centcom report, you should spend that time building and developing a hive and then focus on capturing. If you are a bagil main then understand that this, if implemented, would drastically screw over the sister servers due to the lower population

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #382407

D&B wrote:>Round ending side antag
>Can't end the round

Oh I am laffing
this is the reason, basically. xenomorphs are balanced around actual xenos which, hey, wow, they're really really strong. the reason they are round ending is because when the shuttle gets there everyone is already dead. but just in case they weren't, preventing the round to end just sounds like it would make a lot of people angry, especially since when you kill the alien queen in the 3 minutes the shuttle resets to on ETD another queen could be made blocking the shuttle from leaving AGAIN.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #382408

Armhulen wrote:especially since when you kill the alien queen in the 3 minutes the shuttle resets to on ETD another queen could be made blocking the shuttle from leaving AGAIN.
Slignerd wrote:And no, it's not possible for another queen to evolve after the first's death to prolong the round - the time required for xenos to recover from the queen's loss is longer than the 3 minutes it takes for the shuttle to take off.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #382412

Remove xenos
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #382416

cedarbridge wrote:Remove xenos
they really are dumb
D&B

Post by D&B » #382421

Slignerd wrote:As someone who frequently tries to roll regular xeno, I will attempt to enjoy the chance to finally play as one and do xeno things such as capturing people to grow the size of my hive, only for the crew to call the shuttle right as they spot me, before anyone infected even burst, forcing me to either get stranded and give up on the round entirely, or go into the shuttle and get swarmed by dozens of fight capable crewmembers and a few mechs, all of which would be fully able to take xenos on without the shuttle call.
Can I recommend perhaps for you to fuck off to CM then
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #382426

CM sucks. Their xenos and ours are set up completely differently, and people really shouldn't act like it's one and the same thing.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #382429

maybe we should just re-work xeno into a more decent antag
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #382433

xeno should have round ending victory conditions or ways to mutate in form with ability to use hands.
This way xenos will either be wiped, or win.Or all crew will mutate to xenos and continue round in new form.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #382440

Qustinnus wrote:maybe we should just re-work xeno into a more decent antag
spiiiiiiiiiders
Selea

Post by Selea » #382442

there are enought typer of spiders to rework them as xenobio species.Same for carp.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #382443

I wish i finished the tunneller spider and reworked the webbing, spiders are just a superior version of xenos and if i did the reworked spider hives it wouldn't even be a competition
D&B

Post by D&B » #382446

Should make them their own gamemode then
Spoiler:
fuck you
Selea

Post by Selea » #382449

no, let's put spiders in xenobio!
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #382453

Selea wrote:no, let's put spiders in xenobio!
um... they are... (unless you're talking rare variants like the midwife, viper and others in which case just keep breeding spiders until you get one
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #382574

Aren't spiders like xenoes but better in every single way except for hivemind and robust queens.

also this is a bad idea but I do agree its pathetic how often xenos spawn after the shuttle is already called. Maybe things like xenoes and other slow-build antags shouldn't spawn if the shuttle is past a certain point to avoid the endless frustration of "yay abductors oh wait its etd:30 seconds what a waste"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #382581

no to this idea
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #382619

D&B wrote:>Round ending side antag
>Can't end the round

Oh I am laffing
on that note, blob currently does this and it's fucking annoying
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: