Limited Supply Uplink Items

A place to record your ideas for the game.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Limited Supply Uplink Items

Post by PKPenguin321 » #391946

Some uplink items, such as the syndicate bomb, come in limited supply, meaning that they can only be bought so many times before the syndicate is unable to supply you with more (even if you have the telecrystals to afford it). For example, we could make the syndicate bomb cost 10 TCs but limit its supply to 1, so even though 20 TCs is enough to buy two you're still limited to only being able to purchase one.

This would allow us to expand on the balance of the handful of items that have balance concerns when multiple exist (eswords, syndie bombs) without having to make them cost half your TCs plus one
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Re: Limited Supply Uplink Items

Post by Dr_bee » #391952

Wouldnt increasing the price when it is purchased by others be a better idea? for example if Greytide McRoundstartbomb buys a syndicate bomb at 12 TC, the next person who wants to buy it would have to pay 15tc.

It would help counter some of the mass carnage that can be caused by multiple traitors buying round ender items. Might lead to longer rounds.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #391960

Wouldn't matter because emmagging cargo exists
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #391962

Dr_bee wrote:Wouldnt increasing the price when it is purchased by others be a better idea? for example if Greytide McRoundstartbomb buys a syndicate bomb at 12 TC, the next person who wants to buy it would have to pay 15tc.

It would help counter some of the mass carnage that can be caused by multiple traitors buying round ender items. Might lead to longer rounds.
That's lame though because if my gimmick revolved around a certain item but because I wasn't fast enough to purchase it I'm now cucked out of it

This is essentially purely so that that handful of items that are >10 TCs specifically so you can't purchase them twice can be lowered to 10 or below without breaking the standing balance for them
Spoiler:
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #391975

Dr_bee wrote:Wouldnt increasing the price when it is purchased by others be a better idea? for example if Greytide McRoundstartbomb buys a syndicate bomb at 12 TC, the next person who wants to buy it would have to pay 15tc.

Long ago a feature was implemented in counter-strike where item prices dynamically adjusted based on how many players bought them the previous week, more popular items became more expensive, neglected ones became cheaper.
The feature was nigh-universally hated among the players and it was removed soon after introduction.

Implementing that suggestion as you said will also likely just result in traitors rushing to buy bombs at roundstart.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #391979

Coding bombs so that they are limited to one buy per traitor: really easy, we already have the limited one buy per traitor random special deals, this would be moving bombs to always work like that
Coding bombs to dynamically update the price based on who else buys it: this would be much much harder and there are so many potential glitches/issues.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #392061

Not really eagle but also we aren't counterstrike and we should never be treated as such.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #392559

D&B wrote:Wouldn't matter because emmagging cargo exists
have those items also affected by the stock then?

Are cargo nulls a big deal atm?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392573

Getting cucked out of a traitor gimmick because someone else bought an item first is dumb. We have a gear limit already in place via TCs, we don't need another.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #392609

ShadowDimentio wrote:Getting cucked out of a traitor gimmick because someone else bought an item first is dumb. We have a gear limit already in place via TCs, we don't need another.
i agree. that is why that is not what my suggestion in the OP does.
Spoiler:
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #392623

God damnit, one of you got the idea that "limited supply" meant "limited pool from which all uplink users can buy from" instead of "Limited supply for each uplink user".

I can understand how this would add another variable to balancing uplink items, but I don't know how this would help. Do you think someone's just gonna go "Oh no, I can only buy ONE desword now, what a waste of 12 tc!". I don't think anyone buys duplicates of anything aside from maybe poison kits parapens soap and carp plushies, but those prolly won't be affected by any supply nerfs since they're not really problem items. Traitor items often are just a one time deal, you can't wear two sets of noslips, and I doubt someone would get two syndie bombs. Of anything, cheapening the problem items and gsting them behind supply limits would just let the ecombo killer spend the saved 2 tc on noslips or something. I don't think this system would help much.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #392679

frankly i'm kinda surprised this isn't already a thing, sounds like a good idea
PKPenguin321 wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:Getting cucked out of a traitor gimmick because someone else bought an item first is dumb. We have a gear limit already in place via TCs, we don't need another.
fucking shadowdio is such a terrible poster lmfao
Limey wrote:its too late.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392957

PKPenguin321 wrote:
I misunderstood, as TCs already pretty much do what you want to do. I can't really think of a situation where an item would warrant a limited stock bar the syndie bomb which is already limited by TCs quite effectively. I get that it would let TCs be rebalanced a touch, but again there's nothing but syndie bombs which would warrant it.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Swagbringer
Byond Username: Swagbringer

Post by Swagbringer » #393661

Buying 5 emp kits and just turning the station off is also quite easy.

A limit on those would be good too.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #393815

what item is gimmicky that would be an item up for the global limit system?

Oh no you can't do the ebow esword gimmick or oh no you can't further bomb the station, gimmick/round epicly ruined :(

It's not like someone is going to put a global 1-item cap on say chameleon projectors...
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #396456

What kind of shitty gimmick revolves around buying the most boring and smooth-brained traitor item in the entire list, the syndie bomb?

Syndie bomb is literally just the item for traitors who have zero imagination and don't care enough about the round to make it last in a worthwhile and playable state more then 5 minutes
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #396465

the sad thing is, he's right
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #396484

This seems pretty pointless.
► Show Spoiler
RobustAndRun
Byond Username: RobustAndRun

Post by RobustAndRun » #396515

Yakumo_Chen wrote:What kind of shitty gimmick revolves around buying the most boring and smooth-brained traitor item in the entire list, the syndie bomb?