bring back the singularity

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: bring back the singularity

Post by onleavedontatme » #392410

Bottom post of the previous page:

Why do we need 3 engines that basically do the same thing (infinite power) but two of those engines have no real variation in setup, a binary fail state (no meltdown/chance to save it, they are out or they are not), and no real room for feature growth.

All it does is complicate the job of whichever poor bastard eventually wants to try and make power matter.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392415

Kor wrote:Why do we need 3 engines that basically do the same thing (infinite power) but two of those engines have no real variation in setup, a binary fail state (no meltdown/chance to save it, they are out or they are not), and no real room for feature growth.

All it does is complicate the job of whichever poor bastard eventually wants to try and make power matter.
>Do the same thing

It gives the engineer setting it up the chance to pick which setup they want to use. Most will just go for whatever is the fastest to set up (the singu, probably), while others may do something different for whatever reason. Maybe they're traitor and want to release the singu, or maybe they just have a preference for one engine, or maybe they don't know how to set up but one engine. There's any number of reasons that someone could be compelled to pick one engine over another, and no downside to letting them pick.

>No variation in setup

There's pretty variation in advanced setups, but really I could take or leave the tesla I only really want the singu.

>No chance to save it

Increase the charge the shield box holds and have it sound an alarm if it starts losing power like the SM. Bam like 10 lines of code and it's fixed easy peasy.

>No room for feature growth

What does that even mean? More of the "if there's only one engine people will code for it more"? Coders don't give a fuck how many engines there are in rotation, they code what they want.

>Power mattering

Denying something on the basis that someone might someday change something associated with it is extremely stupid and is not an argument.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #392417

You are extremely stupid and should not be allowed to communicate with other people.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392418

captain sawrge wrote:You are extremely stupid and should not be allowed to communicate with other people.
Says the admin that got demoted for pulling dumb shit. I guess you would know best, huh?
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #392419

ShadowDimentio wrote: Denying something on the basis that someone might someday change something associated with it is extremely stupid and is not an argument.
>planning ahead in a development process that has been ongoing for over a decade is not an argument

lol
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392422

When/IF someone actually decided to sit down and start reworking power and engineering to actually matter, then sure we can talk about going to just one engine but until then that's not an argument and you're trying to deny something on the basis of something that doesn't exist,

Also last I checked the engines all put out roughly the same amount of power (lots) so yeah there's no reason to deny this even then
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #392425

I'm going to take all this as my autistic custom setups being validated by the D E S I G N lead.

Edit: On a related not,SM is a far better experience than the singularity or tesla in every possible regard. There's more room for customization, there's some means of recourse if it goes south, and there's the thrill of trying to fix a meltdown.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #392427

If we changed power to require a modicum of intelligence to run, people would bitch and moan that there wasn't enough power to do anything and complain about being beholden to a single department

Don't tell me I'm wrong because I see you motherfuckers break-in to engie when you experience a brownout from a cut wire and tell me how to do my job.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #392431

Anonmare wrote:If we changed power to require a modicum of intelligence to run, people would bitch and moan that there wasn't enough power to do anything and complain about being beholden to a single department

Don't tell me I'm wrong because I see you motherfuckers break-in to engie when you experience a brownout from a cut wire and tell me how to do my job.
Shitters break into department rather than interact with the people in said department when they want the contents of said department.

News at 11 after weather and traffic.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #392434

Assistant maint access was a mistake tbh
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #392436

Anonmare wrote:Assistant maint access was a mistake tbh
That came back because said assistants would just hack open maint if they didn't have access anyway or beg it off the HoP.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #392534

Luke Cox wrote:I'm going to take all this as my autistic custom setups being validated by the D E S I G N lead.

Edit: On a related not,SM is a far better experience than the singularity or tesla in every possible regard. There's more room for customization, there's some means of recourse if it goes south, and there's the thrill of trying to fix a meltdown.
Pretty much yeah. It builds on one of the defining features of the game (atmos) and allows for actual science/experimentation. Right now there isn't really a reward for that other than trying to get a personal high score, but the mechanical depth is still there.

Handing out medals to the engineering team for stopping the meltdown at .3% was another particularly memorable experience I had.

If people really want the "round is over no matter what" deathball back we could just make that the default meltdown option again.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #392543

Kor wrote:Why do we need 3 engines that basically do the same thing (infinite power) but two of those engines have no real variation in setup, a binary fail state (no meltdown/chance to save it, they are out or they are not), and no real room for feature growth.

All 3 of them are shit and should be replaced with something better.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #392544

Qustinnus wrote:

Code it or find someone that will.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392546

Kor wrote:If people really want the "round is over no matter what" deathball back we could just make that the default meltdown option again.
Acceptable.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #392550

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Kor wrote:If people really want the "round is over no matter what" deathball back we could just make that the default meltdown option again.
Acceptable.
Make the PR then it shouldn't be too hard to swap two meltdowns
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #392554

captain sawrge wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:

Code it or find someone that will.
i dont play engineering so I don't trust myself with making that change, and if Ninja wasn't already swamped with projects I'd ask if he'd want to finish his engine.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #392624

Create plasma engine and make miners actually dig for plasma.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #392627

An array of pacman generators would be more engaging and balanced than any of the other engines.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #392628

Every department has its own pacman and they have to fight for plasma.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #392642

A giant plasmafueled generator that has a high probability of overheating and causing fires would be pretty cool
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #392657

The wires are replaced by pipes which transport heat generated by plasma fueled generator. Each department has turbine converting that heat into electricity. Generator, turbines and pipes can catch fire. Fires are rebalanced to be more intense but slower spreading, and spreading across more surfaces and items. Suddenly atmos tech fire teams are needed.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #392667

Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #392669

We were so close to David contributing and you took it all away
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #392670

Kor wrote:We were so close to David contributing and you took it all away
Sorry man, the freeze starts tomorrow.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #392671

What the hell, where did the time go
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #392691

updated the PR, default is now sing but at high energies it spawns a tesla ball.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #392771

aaaaaand it's gone.

Be glad this wasn't David's first exposure to contributing.
Swagbringer
Byond Username: Swagbringer

Post by Swagbringer » #392793

I prefer being able to salvage the station from a singularity bomb, on Metastation you just need to wall of engineering hallway, dorms, and sometimes the theatre section. Its fun trying to keep the station falling apart as an engineer.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #392795

Swagbringer wrote:Its fun trying to keep the station falling apart as an engineer.
either a freudian slip in text form or brilliant ambiguity
cannot tell
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #392847

>Closed

Imagine my shock

Contributing is a joke.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #392906

contributing things that contradict my design vision is a joke
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #392908

you're a fucking fruit you don't even have eyes how the fuck can you have "vision"
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Poorman
Byond Username: ThePoorman

Post by Poorman » #392950

i drunk posted this thread and forgot about it

still, bring back singularity. it's the only generator for ss13
Poorman

Post by Poorman » #392952

Kor wrote: If people really want the "round is over no matter what" deathball back we could just make that the default meltdown option again.
alright i have never once seen anyone do anything outside of a shuttle call if the SM explodes

maybe if this were 2012 and rounds lasted longer, and people wanted to put more effort into every round but literally NOBODY wants to spend the time to fix the mess the SM makes

at least with the singulo it was a spectacle, it was exciting. the SM just goes BOOM and a shuttle gets called.
Last edited by Poorman on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #392954

It's a very rare and niche kind of fun. Like when you're the only guy with a spacesuit and you load up the dozen people stranded near Arrivals into a locker and pull them as fast as possible across the void to Escape before they all die. Or you get into that situation where it greets you at the end of a hall and you have just enough time to run down that hall as it chases you while screaming SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT in your head.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Poorman

Post by Poorman » #392956

tbh i think that the CE should be able to pick the engine they want to setup from the round start. it could be some kind of preference option set in the character select screen that changes the starting setup

or it could be a random setup

or we could put the singulo back on box, the SM on meta, and the tesla on delta
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #393083

Poorman wrote:tbh i think that the CE should be able to pick the engine they want to setup from the round start. it could be some kind of preference option set in the character select screen that changes the starting setup
As interesting as this idea is, it sounds like a nightmare procedurally to make map spawn depend on a character role preference.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #393084

cedarbridge wrote:
Poorman wrote:tbh i think that the CE should be able to pick the engine they want to setup from the round start. it could be some kind of preference option set in the character select screen that changes the starting setup
As interesting as this idea is, it sounds like a nightmare procedurally to make map spawn depend on a character role preference.
Probably not much harder than placing ruins in space or lavaland actually
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #393085

It would be easy to do but a bitch to maintain as different contributors keep touching the maps.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #393105

ShadowDimentio wrote:>Closed

Imagine my shock

Contributing is a joke.

>when david complains coders dont listen to feedback it actually means "coders don't do what I personally want"

Imagine my shock
Durkel
Byond Username: Durkel

Post by Durkel » #393112

Kor wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:snip
There's plenty of prs with a skewed balance of votes in either direction that were either merged or closed anyway. You know more than anyone that someone clicking on a shitty emoji on the git means nothing. Don't be a chumbis, kor.
Sierra Welbe says, "Tim Ebow fucking threw soap everywhere near the HoP office, like I mean 20 fucking goddamn bars AND I CAN'T STOP SLIPPING"
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #393113

FIGHT
FIGHT
FIGHT
FIGHT
FIGHT
FIGHT
FIGHT
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #393114

I'm not saying I care about the emojis very much, just ironic that the pretend populists like Shadowdimentio railing about the ignored players will in turn ignore them/their votes/etc as soon as they stop agreeing.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #393118

don't reply to this bait thread kor, let me do it
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #393119

oranges wrote:don't reply to this bait thread kor, let me do it
oranges knows a lot about baiting. He's a master at it.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #393124

Anonmare wrote:
I baited you
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #393126

oranges wrote:
Anonmare wrote:
I baited you
You fell for my jape
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #393138

Durkel wrote:There's plenty of prs with a skewed balance of votes in either direction that were either merged or closed anyway. You know more than anyone that someone clicking on a shitty emoji on the git means nothing. Don't be a chumbis, kor.
This, it doesn't matter what the merits are of a PR the only thing that matters is "does a maintainer like it?". If yes, PR is merged. If no, PR is closed. Lets not pretend anything else is or ever has been a factor.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #393142

Never gonna forgive Durkel for giving shadowdimentio a post to latch on to that lets him dodge the point
But it's fun!
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #393152

It's almost like more goes into judging a PR then just the upvotes/downvotes, but maintainers, human beings with minds, weigh those upvotes/downvotes in mind when considering a PR, especially one with not much code implication but a heavy implication on the round itself.

:thinking:

(Except oranges, he's just a malfunctioning clockwork orange)
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg