[POLL] Hackable suit sensors

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Should hacking suit sensors be merged?

Yes
21%
Yes
21%
Yes
21%
No
10%
No
10%
No
10%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%

Total votes: 81

JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

[POLL] Hackable suit sensors

Post by JJRcop » #36777

I have a PR up on Github that implements hackable suit sensors.

If you click on a jumpsuit with wirecutters, the jumpsuit will store your current stats, then when the crew monitoring console asks for them, it will only report back the stored stats, not your real ones. You can fix them by clicking on them with wirecutters again.

This is intended to allow devious folks to set their suit sensors on without people using the suit sensors to discover them.

The major downside to hacking your sensors is that.. well, they don't do anything except report fake stats from the time you hacked them, so if you die nobody will know. And if they do find you and you are still listed as alive on sensors, they will obviously know you hacked your sensors and may be extremely suspicious of you.

Also another note: You have to be wearing the jumpsuit when you hack it, or else it will store nobody's stats and will only report nothing, effectively becoming useless.

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/5292
I lurk quite often...
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Re: [POLL] Hackable suit sensors

Post by kosmos » #36782

Sounds very cool, immersive stuff and adds another dynamic to the game.

But in the end this feels like game-wise it's only making the already quite rarely used crew monitoring console more unreliable and removing players from the round more easy. I can't say I want that.

I see this kind of as a nerf, and imo something needs to be buffed to counter it a little. Perhaps have it randomly and quickly flash the real statistics every 30 seconds to give a little hint to the crew monitor viewer that something's not right?
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #36799

How would wirecutters make a fucking memory circuit out of jumpsuit suit sensors though?

Otherwise... Doesn't seem very useful. You can just switch to the second mode to avoid tracking. Or better yet, turn them off completely.

I mean, all right, it doesn't really do much.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #36800

it wouldnt
the sensors would just keep reporting the last known location
the wire youre cutting is probably the transmission wire or something like that
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #36810

Makes more sense for a multitool really. Allow stealth or semi stealthy suit sensors sabotage on other players?

Multi tools are semi rare at round start but the AI eye detector is a functioning one and they can be made at autolathes.
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #36822

Yeah, multitools sound better than wirecutters
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #36824

miggles wrote:it wouldnt
That's what memory circuit is. Basically it would mean that suit sensors have memory in them but it's not used until you fuck it up with wirecutters.

It's not important, but you know.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #36833

Also, it would be nice to see how many features which were already coded, get implemented, vs things that weren't already coded before suggesting.

Cos I kinda felt bad voting "No" when you've already worked your ass off for the hardest part... and I'm pretty sure this is why this would be the surest method of getting your stuff implemented. Fuck you for making me feel bad damnit!
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #36869

kosmos wrote:Also, it would be nice to see how many features which were already coded, get implemented, vs things that weren't already coded before suggesting.

Cos I kinda felt bad voting "No" when you've already worked your ass off for the hardest part... and I'm pretty sure this is why this would be the surest method of getting your stuff implemented. Fuck you for making me feel bad damnit!
No no, it isn't that bad. I won't be mad if this isn't implemented, we've done just fine without it.

I'll change it to a multitool, the public has spoken. But i've got a problem now. What will the examine text be? (Currently "There are some cut wires poking through the fabric!")
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
miggles wrote:it wouldnt
That's what memory circuit is. Basically it would mean that suit sensors have memory in them but it's not used until you fuck it up with wirecutters.

It's not important, but you know.
My idea was there was already a memory circuit in the embedded antenna, and if you cut the signal from the sensors, its error handler will just use the last known data.

Also a way that it bugs out occasionally wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. I just only want it to be noticeable if you're really really paying attention, and looking for it. I don't want it to instantly bone them.
I lurk quite often...
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #36893

Shit idea. Feature creep. Useless. Makes medical doctor even more annoying.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #36896

JJRcop wrote:I'll change it to a multitool, the public has spoken.
Like two people
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #36910

I kind of like the idea, just as a slight defense against meta. Right now, if you see someone's suit sensors reporting their location, you can be pretty sure they're not up to trouble.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #36933

damiac wrote:I kind of like the idea, just as a slight defense against meta. Right now, if you see someone's suit sensors reporting their location, you can be pretty sure they're not up to trouble.
But that's not really meta. Meta would be assuming anyone without their suit sensors maxxed are traitors and proceeding to act accordingly. The fact that someone's suit sensors are on - IC as well as OOC - implies that they're being a good little boy/G.I.R.L and listening to what the big CMO said, or even just that their suit happened to start that way.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #36968

This honestly sounds kind of well, pretty useless.

Medically: chucklefucks will cut their sensors then get killed and never get help.
Security: They don't even start with a monitoring console, and one look on the camera console will tell you if they're there or not... or you just ask the AI like sec always does, which requires neither console.
AT BEST you might be able to pretend to be in maint killing people while you're on the other side of the station, or something. It really just seems pointless.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #36975

To make this more usefull, AND skip beginning round steps, How about you automatically have suit sensors on full every round, And require a multi tool to change that.
it would be better than the usual med head message every round "suit sensors on people"
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #36988

Violaceus wrote:And give engineers gloves at spawn. They will wear them anyway.
And place ID in PDA on start.
And have singulo already started at round start.
Do you actually feel that your game is enriched by taking the time to crank your suit sensors up full blast?

But an option, with the proper tools of disabling it might be worthwhile situationally.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #37008

I believe that one of the main points of having suit sensors start randomized is so that a person who turns his suit sensors off isn't immediately assumed to be up to no good.
StrawberryMoses
Byond Username: StrawberryMoses

Post by StrawberryMoses » #37017

What if the suit sensors reported the same coordinates / life signs as a copy of someone else on the station? They'd still change, but it wouldn't be noticeable without looking hard at the console's records.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #37030

Personally I'd be ok with forcing them to be on all the time no matter what, at least for heads of staff/sec.

Or removing them, whatever, I don't care.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #37412

Description could be something like "The update error indicator is blinking"

And yes, add this
And change suit sensors so that they default to on and full. That would make medical/telesci a lot more useful.

As was said, the reason they are currently randomised is so that it doesn't look suspect when a traitor turns their suit sensors off, being able to have them on but produce a false readout isn't as suspect.
Having them start full on would mean people wouldn't forget to turn them on, which means when you do die its more likely someone will find you via the console - which in turn means the console will see more use because dead people will probably have their sensors on.
Medically: chucklefucks will cut their sensors then get killed and never get help.
Why is this a bad thing? If they're dumb enough disable them without a reason other than "lol - dont want people to see me" then its their own stupid fault for being retards.
litmeuplol
Byond Username: Litmeuplol

Post by litmeuplol » #38659

JJRcop wrote: Also another note: You have to be wearing the jumpsuit when you hack it, or else it will store nobody's stats and will only report nothing, effectively becoming useless.
Does that mean if you take your jumpsuit off and scan it then you'll be deleted from the suit sensor list?