Side-Antags: Crew Desires

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Jzoid
Byond Username: Jzoid

Side-Antags: Crew Desires

Post by Jzoid » #413924

Add in a new side-antag to the server, the dark desires of the crew.
Right now, our antagonists consist of organizations, random catastrophes (blobs, xenos) or people that give the succ.
But we haven't really looked into the possibility of the crews own personalities becoming the problems.
We have traitors, but they're organized and hired. Murderers in real life aren't hired; they're often from their own mentality of people. From their own desires, not some shady thugs in a spaceship hundreds of miles away.

What this will do is introduce a mechanic to the game which will become a side-antagonist. During the round, already existing people have the chance for their darkest desires to come true.
Some of the desires will be such as

The Connoisseur
The sick bland taste of the chefs food or the vending machines protein bars aren't enough. Your stomach growls as you remember the crimson stained cleaver hidden neatly in your backpack. It's time to see what exotic tastes Nanotrasen has to offer.

Objective: Eat at least one of each race, human, moth and lizard. (Cat girls don't count cause they'll taste like shit anyway)

The Collectionist
Each part of the body has a purpose. The ears to listen to our friends lies, the eyes to prevent us from walking into hell itself. The heart to keep our blood pumping, and our brain? The brain to ensure all these activities happen, to ensure each part has a purpose.

Objective: Collect at least one of each item. Ears, Eyes, Heart, Brain, Tongue and Lungs. All must be from different people.

The Junkie
What is life without a little fun? Our brains are confined, our visions are blockaded. It's time to see what the world truly has to offer, in it's rawest form.

Objective: Take at least five criminal drugs. (Medical drugs not counted. Objectives should be stuff like meth)

The Extremist:
The Chaplains tongue is branded with the curse of doing nothing more than lying. Lying to those of our station, lying to the children of the true god. It is time to make him see the right ways, and make the children open their eyes.

Objective: Convince the station that your religion is the true religion. Convincing can be done forcefully too. Ideally, become the Chaplain.

The Racist:
The one true race is the one I was born as. The rest are fake imitations, imitations that can never truly compare to the pure and holiness of my own race!

Objective: Kill at least one member of the other race, at most, two.

The Traditionalist:
Science once was a powerful tool, one that bought us forward out of the wood-works. However, now it's going too far. It must be bought to a halt.

Objective: Destroy the cloners, destroy the science consoles, destroy the science servers and destroy the lathes.

Obviously, any traitor can act like this, if so decided, and there's potential the players will just end up acting like normal traitors, right?
Well, for these roles, rules would be set into place. Rules specifically saying they can not do more than their objective entails. And rules saying over-escalation is a no-no.
What this means is The Junkie can not kill, The Connoisseur can not randomly de-limb. The Extremist can not nuke the station.
They are restricted to doing their objectives, and only their objectives. Doing otherwise should result in punishment.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Side-Antags: Crew Desires

Post by Cobby » #413936

Didn’t see an erp reference what a missed opportunity
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #413974

Looks like abductees.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #414139

No thanks.

Having this on top of regular antags is just asking for nearly everyone to shit on the crew, security, or heads. Basically this is buffing antags in general, yet every time anyone asks for a security buff people throw their arms up in outrage.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #414150

>adding different types of antags is a buff

the absolute state of security players lmao
gum disease
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Post by gum disease » #414281

I like these suggestions a lot. Would give people more things to do.
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #415268

Lumbermancer wrote:Looks like abductees.
Why isn't this objective merged into abductors. It'd make abductor mode much more of a threat. It'd also spice up the round as a whole!
► Show Spoiler
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #415566

I don't like the idea of forcing people to do those objectives AND ONLY those objectives, and the objective to kill multiple people sounds .. trickier then most if you dont get TC, but more interesting and varied traitor objectives is a good idea, and these seem fun.
Jzoid

Post by Jzoid » #415613

EagleWiz wrote:I don't like the idea of forcing people to do those objectives AND ONLY those objectives, and the objective to kill multiple people sounds .. trickier then most if you dont get TC, but more interesting and varied traitor objectives is a good idea, and these seem fun.
It's important not to think of these as traitors. A traitor is a hired gun that's simply being paid a bounty for their work. This is the crews desires itself.
If they were able to break-out of their objectives, then we may as well add mid-round traitors as a side-antag event.
Best way to put it, just because you get high off meth and cocaine doesn't mean you're willing to kill someone. Just because you enjoy cannibalism doesn't mean you're willing to blow up a town.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #415720

I'm only interested in the serial killer kind of idea, that's just kind of a neat role for someone to spawn as. The rest are devil stuff, and the devil sintouched are very uninteresting
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #415789

I personally like the idea of the collectionist and connoiseur!
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #415981

You should integrate this with my idea of splitting Syndicate into separate corps.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #416037

good idea but you forget people will just murderbone with this
Jzoid

Post by Jzoid » #416044

cocothegogo wrote:good idea but you forget people will just murderbone with this
it's easier to ban than it is to murderbone
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #416122

If you're forced to do the objectives AND they're completely random with no way of not getting them then I'm out.

I hate being forced to do shitty things or else get banned. It's also annoying if you're rping, aka three people, and all of a sudden you better start killing lizards and mothpeople or else the admin gestapo has permission to valid you with a hammer.

It's the same reason I hate abductor mind control.
Jzoid

Post by Jzoid » #416154

Ayy Lemoh wrote:If you're forced to do the objectives AND they're completely random with no way of not getting them then I'm out.

I hate being forced to do shitty things or else get banned. It's also annoying if you're rping, aka three people, and all of a sudden you better start killing lizards and mothpeople or else the admin gestapo has permission to valid you with a hammer.

It's the same reason I hate abductor mind control.
Something I feel is important to keep in mind is antags are optional roles, roles you can ask an admin to give to another person.
There's a difference between not doing something which is optional, and doing something more than you're told.
I've never said anything about possible punishment for those not doing the objectives, I have however talked about punishment for people doing more than their objective entails.
And like I said, you can just ask an admin to swap it out for someone else.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #416479

The only times I've seen someone get in trouble for not trying objectives were team modes (asshole nuke ops/cultists), or a mod spawn more threats if the traitors don't do traitor stuff. I guess some mods might punish a friendly wizard with events like an ert or another wiz, but that's a lone antag.

What I'm saying is that the punishment for not trying to do your objective in this case would be red text at the end of the game because you didn't do your objective.