Organ Research

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Organ Research

Post by Time-Green » #427161

It's no secret that play medical is really boring, wich scares away most people trying to really get into it.
Currently, a Medical Doctors round consists of waiting for someone to get a paper cut, and then tossing them in a sleeper. That or setting up fryo.

I am working up idea's on an organ research thing. Basicly a doctor can go into their backroom, and research organs they get from patients, and improve them.
Anything from finding mutations in peoples blood, to reagents and changeling slugs, for getting fun organs.

It'd be kinda like science research, but instead of points they perform certain tasks to unlock stuff.
They'd get a few machines, insert special stuff, and then unlock organs related to them in an organ synthesizer.

The special organs could be stuff like
a shifting heart (changeling slug) that would put you in a weaker regenerative stasis
eternal heart (zombie tumor) that would make you unable to die, and just leave you in hardcrit
plasma lungs (plasma sheet?) that would make you able to also breathe plasma, and perhaps get some benefit
strong heart (random DNA from a crewmember?) that would allow you to stay in softcrit alot longer
Generally pretty strong stuff, something to keep the medical doctors engaged and experiment to give assistants fire breath

I could either make it a customized techweb that only shows organ research progress, or just make a whole new setup. I prefer the techweb one, but it's taking a lot of time to figure out how.

Anyway, before I start some big project, I'd like to know if this would actually be considered OK. I don't want to spent days coding a thing and then have it denied because it's powercreep.

Suggestions are good too
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Re: Organ Research

Post by Mickyan » #427182

To be honest what MD actually needs is to be more involved and interesting, not being sidetracked into being another flavor of RnD/Genetics/Virology
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Re: Organ Research

Post by Time-Green » #427212

Mickyan wrote:To be honest what MD actually needs is to be more involved and interesting, not being sidetracked into being another flavor of RnD/Genetics/Virology
So you got any actual idea’s? Because that’s what im trying to do.
Currently the only thing medical doctors can do is heal people, and that’s about it. The rest of the round is just waiting for people to get wounded.
This allows them to research organs while no one is there, so they can do their job more effectively later and have some fun while they’re waiting.