AEDs

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

AEDs

Post by Jacough » #42489

So we've got defibs now so why not AEDs? Every workplace has them so why not an advanced research station? They would be located around the station in emergency lockers and function as sort of weaker but more portable defibs. A few key things
Pros:
- They'd be smaller and more portable. You wouldn't need to strap them to your back and could fit them in a backpack
- They're located in 02 lockers so you can find more of them
- Emagging them turns them into shock grenades. Emag them and then toss them or drop them. After 3 seconds they short circuit and electrocute everyone within a 3x3 radius for knockdown and a bit of burn damage.
Cons:
- You've got a smaller window of opportunity. IIRC defibs give you a 3 minute window. AEDs on the other hand, would give you a one and a half minute window
- AEDs would require you to do CPR while using them. Not sure how difficult it'd be to code but it'd be interesting to make it so the AED'd player enters a sort of specific state once they're hooked up. There'd be a charging period between shocks during which period the person trying to bring back the dead person would require CPR. Trying to perform CPR on the person while they're being shocked however, would electrocute the person doing CPR and give them a bit of burn damage. Shocking would be signaled by a message and robotic voice saying "Administering shock, stand clear". Likewise the device would tell you when to start administering CPR again.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: AEDs

Post by paprika » #42520

Yeah I can see this happening in the future
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #42554

I'd like to see the electropack being used more. Why not that used as a part for assembly for AEDs? I mean, I always see that poor little electropack left behind everywhere like the misc test lab and the large Xeno pen. I've always tried to find a use for it, so I'd use it to kidnap greyshirts and make shock-bound greyslaves and shock them if they resist.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #42644

Honestly I don't like this idea, defibrillator units are great and this would make them a lot more useless, plus it makes an item that lets you cheat death in every other locker

Maybe make them sorely underpowered so they're rarely used, like you get a 45 second window, only two or three charges, and a high rate of RNG failure
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #42646

Placing a single AED in a central area of each of the main departments (barring medical) and giving it only a single charge might be balanced. So if you want more AED's you'll have to talk to Cargo while Defib's cannot be ordered and are a Medical exclusive item.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #42657

No, I only just started to enjoy saving everyone as medic.
Jacough wrote:Every workplace has them so why not an advanced research station?
Well they also don't exactly bring you back from the dead.

Seriously, medical JUST got something unique that they can use to do miraculous deeds.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #42660

Gotta kind of agree with lo6a4, it's really added a necessary dynamic to medical doctors to make them a unique job, since surgery is basically worthless 99% of the time.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #42790

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:No, I only just started to enjoy saving everyone as medic.
Jacough wrote:Every workplace has them so why not an advanced research station?
Well they also don't exactly bring you back from the dead.

Seriously, medical JUST got something unique that they can use to do miraculous deeds.
For once Lo6 speaks sense, you've just got past med docs being completely invalidated by a boxing ring - why would you want to go back to that again, and why would you want to be death completely trivial?