Inspection Day

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Inspection Day

Post by Steelpoint » #45799

Idea for a weird game mode/event I thought up while waiting to die from a plasma fire. The idea of the game mode is simple, a inspector has arrived on station to preform a surprise inspection of the station. The inspector can be anyone, a NT Official, a Government Inspector or the Captain's Mother.

----------------

There are three "players" (Groups) in this game mode, and they are...
  • The Inspector
  • The Saboteurs
  • The Crew
The Inspector
The Inspectors job is to arrive on station, preform a personal assessment of the station's operation, then leave and file a report. The Inspectors job is very free form, he could arrive on station, look around for several seconds and leave or he can do a extremely through examination of the entire station down to maintenance. There are no real inspection constraints on the Inspectors part.

When the Inspector is finished and he returns to his ship, he files a report. This report is seperated into three sections, all related to the game's win/lose conditions which will be explained at the end.

The Saboteurs
These guys are essentially Traitors but with a more specific goal. They are to do whatever they can to ensure the Inspector gives the station a "failed" rating. However they cannot kill the Inspector as he has to be alive to deliver his report, if the Inspector dies the Saboteurs lose and the round ends.

Aside from that constraint, the Saboteurs are free to do what they want to achieve their goal.

The Crew
The crew have to do whatever they can to ensure they pass the inspection, well more so the Captain has to do whatever he can. The crew should try and move the Inspector to areas of the station that are not being damaged and keep the Inspector happy, or at the very least fob off any damage and blame someone else (Assistants are great for this).

----------------

Win Conditions

There are multiple win/lose conditions that are mostly tied to the Inspectors final report. The final report has three sections, these are...
  • Overall Rating: This is divided into three categories, Passed, Failed or Neutral. If the report is a pass the crew win, if the report is a fail the saboteurs win, if the report is neutral no one wins (except the Captain, he loses).
  • Personal Notes: Allows the inspector to jot down his own notes and opinion on the station, has no bearing on the win/lose conditions
  • Assigned Blame: Allows the inspector to assign blame to a certain crew member or group, by default its set to the Captain. If the report passes the blamed person gains a commendation, if the report fails the blamed person is fired. This allows the Captain to at least blame someone else on the failure and avoiding being fired.
If the Inspector dies there is a two minutes grace period to attempt to revive him, either via cloning or a defibrillator.

----------------

That's the idea in a nut shell, thanks for reading.
deathhoof

Re: Inspection Day

Post by deathhoof » #45801

Players cant be trusted to rp
/thread
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #45802

How would the inspector arrival on station work? Does he have a shuttle that he manually docks with the station or his ship is the arrival shuttle?
What would happen if the inspector ran away in space or got kidnapped by saboteurs?
How do we avoid the inspector making a report right at the beginning of the round to end it?
Last edited by phil235 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #45803

phil235 wrote:How would the inspector arrival on station work? Does he have a shuttle that he manually docks with the station or his ship is the arrival shuttle?
He would have his own personal shuttle that docks with the station at arrivals, there is a spare docking port that is unused.
phil235 wrote:What would happen if the inspector ran away in space or got kidnapped by saboteurs?
If the Inspector is shot off the Z-Level then the round would end in him being MIA. Similar to Rev/Heads, and if the saboteurs want to kidnap the inspector than so be it.
phil235 wrote:How do we avoid the inspector making a report right at the beginning of the round to end it?
If he wants to be that lazy then nothing's stoping him. If it gets out of hand a 5 minute non-submitting timer can be introduced.
phil235

Post by phil235 » #45804

Also, is the crew made aware of the inspection in some way? (given objectives, station annoucement, etc..)
If it gets out of hand a 5 minute non-submitting timer can be introduced.
I think a timer of at least 20 minutes is required. Nobody wants rounds that ends after 5 minutes, especially the people playing saboteurs!

The inspector could use an objective that requires him to do something on station that takes time I think. Like getting paperwork from the heads or grabbing some items.
Last edited by phil235 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #45805

What I'm thinking is that the Inspector starts on another station, when he's ready to leave he summon a shuttle which alerts the crew to the imminent arrival of the inspector, once the shuttle is summoned it will take a minute for it to arrive giving the crew some time to prepare.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #45808

Inspector flies away in 2 minutes: the game mode

Don't get me wrong, it sounds great. I would love to see something like that, but one person deciding the result of the round and when exactly does it end? I don't think that's gonna be possible.
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #45812

Does it involve a Johnson inspection? For the captain? In medical?
Spoiler:
WHOOP WHOOP
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #45813

Great admin event, bad game mode.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #45818

This would be great on a Medium- high RP server. Here, however, the inspectors will be dead within twenty seconds and the crew will just go back to smashing each others heads open.
:^)
phil235

Post by phil235 » #45825

Spacemanspark wrote:Here, however, the inspectors will be dead within twenty seconds and the crew will just go back to smashing each others heads open.
Except the antags must not kill him/her if they want to greentext.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #45849

Forget the Saboteurs, just add an inspector event to Extended, or any game mode.
Looks for an observer every five minutes after one hour.

Inspector has half an hour to remain on station, and survive, then has to leave and file a report.

If the shit flinging monkeys haven't wrecked their cage by then the crew wins.
If they have then a death squad is called to obliterate the embarrassment from existence.
If the Inspector dies the death squad is called on the assumption that the crew murdered him to cover up their ineptitude.

The inspector will be hard-coded to always be named Inspector Yuri Johnson

The event will be called "OHGODITSEXTENDED-WHATCUNTPUTITBACKINTHEROTATION-JUSTFUCKINGENDITALREADY"
Last edited by Malkevin on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #45851

Malkevin wrote:Forget the Saboteurs, just add an inspector event to Extended, or any game mode.
Looks for an observer every five minutes after one hour.

Inspector has half an hour to remain on station, and survive, then has to leave and file a report.

If the shit flinging monkeys haven't wrecked their cage by then the crew wins.
If they have then a death squad is called to obliterate the embarrassment from existence.
If the Inspector dies the death squad is called on the assumption that the crew murdered him to cover up their ineptitude.

The inspector will be hard-coded to always be named Inspector Yuri Johnson
Actually that is a good alternative idea, it would help solve the issue of long drawn out rounds, give a legitmant way for the Death Squad to be deployed and still allow slow, more relaxed rounds to continue (since the inspector would live to file his report).
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #45863

>disgruntled observer gets inspector
>arrives on the station
>immediately sets himself on fire
>???
>observer becomes squid
>squid kills everyone
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #45877

ExplosiveCrate wrote:>disgruntled observer gets inspector
>arrives on the station
>immediately sets himself on fire
>???
>observer becomes squid
>squid kills everyone
>squid gets banned
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #45882

Oh yeah, it would definitely need to be a ban protected job with an admin button to cancel it
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #46006

Why couldn't the saboteurs kill the inspector and pose as him?
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #46052

why not?

tie it somehow to his suit sensors or something. if someone wants to spend the probably pretty enormous amount of effort it takes to impersonate him, let them. it would be cool.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #46057

phil235 wrote:
Spacemanspark wrote:Here, however, the inspectors will be dead within twenty seconds and the crew will just go back to smashing each others heads open.
Literally the first thing I thought of, guys: Crew can deny greentext by getting the inspector killed. ツ
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #46067

Cipher3 wrote:
phil235 wrote:
Literally the first thing I thought of, guys: Crew can deny greentext by getting the inspector killed. ツ
Except the crew would also lose.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #46093

who cares crew isn't antags so they can't lose :^))))))))))))
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #46102

deathhoof wrote:Players cant be trusted to rp
/thread