CE's equipment

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

CE's equipment

Post by Cik » #45985

hey guys, can we reduce the amount of inventory clicking the CE has to do at the start of every shift please? CE has in his locker (that he needs to do his job)

-gloves (also he's wearing gloves to start with for no reason so he has to click 5 times)
-multitool
-welding helmet (if not going hardsuit)
-flash (sometimes)

then 80% of the time you'll have to walk over to your hardsuit storage unit, click a few more times. take off your shoes, your hat then put on

-helmet
-chestrig
-boots
-mask

then you have to go get an oxygen tank

then you have to go out into space

then when you get back from containment you have to go to the west side of engineering and get
-rods
-metal
-glass

just so you're prepared to fix any hull breaches you encounter later.

then you have to go take off your hardsuit (unless you want to walk around superslow all the time. it used to be better because at least you could get a jetpack and then EVA all over the place, but that was fixed :|)

anyway, this all takes a ludicrous amount of time and it's annoying as hell. i do like playing CE, but as it is i start to dread RNGing it just because the fucking inventory management at the beginning is hella long and takes a lot of effectively pointless clicking.

can you please at least take off the hard hat and the black gloves to start with, and replace them with a welding helmet and insulateds, or something? that would shorten it quite a bit.
Cik

Re: CE's equipment

Post by Cik » #46014

as the CE it's significantly worse. you have 3/4 containers, and you have to take half your shit off that you start with because it's useless.

the captain is not required to change his wardrobe 3~ times at the beginning of the shift.

the HoS is not required to do that either, in fact, no one else is. even the engineers have to click maybe 5-6 times, if that. CE clicks are somewhere 20+, just to start what you're supposed to be doing.

these two things are not the same.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #46021

This doesnt sound too bad to me. I fail to see the issue.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #46028

Cik wrote:...
A part of that gear is optional. If you want to be prepared for everything, then make an effort.
Also you can carry your rigsuit in your hand to travel at normal speeds.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #46033

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cik

Post by Cik » #46037

the rigsuit is required in most rounds, especially when there's <40 people, as you'll probably have engineers that immediately fuck off. i don't care in particular about the RIGsuit, and i'm not arguing for having it on by default, because then you'd probably just end up having to take it off half the time anyway.

starting with effectively pointless gloves that you have to take off, and an ugly hat you have to take off anyway is just superfluous and annoying. it may not seem like much but if you end up playing CE two times in a row (especially if the round is short, like in the case of nukeops or blob) it's very obnoxious.

edit: fucked up a word
Last edited by Cik on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #46042

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #46048

Gearing up is fun, although I do admit that on CE it's a little silly exactly how much shit you have to discard and put on and rearrange.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #46069

To be fair head's of staff generally spawn in with some of their more needed equipment.

The HoS has guns and handcuffs, the CMO has a medkit, the Captain has his all access ID, etc.

We should at least giving the CE insulated gloves when he spawns.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #46075

Spawning with the black gloves is really stupid, the CE should spawn gloveless. I'd be in favor of sticking a multitool into engineer and CE toolbelts instead of the pointless analyzer. If people want we could spawn the helmet in the CE's locker instead of on his head, although for consistency I'd then like to apply that to all engineers.

If people want to talk about the value of spawning with equipment vs having to put it on, that's fine, but make sure not to go off into weird tangents. I think it would be best to start with what kinds of items should start equipped and what kinds shouldn't and why. What advantages does spawning engineers without yellow gloves create and what disadvantages does it have? From there, applying the same logic to the CE's equipment in general should be simple.
Violaceus wrote:ID should start in PDA
Engineers should start with gloves
detective with sunglassess
HoP with all access
security with belts
captain with his laser
CMO with gloves
barman with tophat
et cetera
et cetera

No, gearing up shouldn't be changed.
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #46082

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #46088

The set up time at the start of shifts for jobs is intentional, it's why i also spread the nuke ops' gear out more rather than them spawning with all of it. It's so the start of the shift has people running around setting up instead of getting right on with killing each other and shit.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Cik

Post by Cik » #46124

the CE has to do all of his clicking within 5 tiles of each other. i guess to pick up the metal etc but tbh that's a far secondary concern i don't care about. you shouldn't spawn with metal.

i would be totally content if you spawned without the hat and gloves. at least that would eliminate the 100% pointless part of taking them off; as it is, they have no actual value whatsoever over the ones you get in your locker every time you spawn. for the HOS, you start with a certain coat, and some players like the greatcoat, or trenchcoat, or whatever. they all have value. the black gloves have no value. you will in every situation immediately click 5 times to change to your insulateds, which are basically 100% required to do your job.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #46125

I still think letting the CE start off with his Insulated Gloves would be a positive change, considering he's the department head he should have a slight leg up on other round start Engineers, or when late joining.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #46126

Just throw your shit wherever in the office, your bird is gonna make a huge mess of the place anyway.
Violaceus wrote:ID should start in PDA
This I actually wouldn't mind seeing, who doesn't put it in their PDA?
I see people running around with the PDA on the belt and everything like from roundstart and i'm pretty sure they don't know you can put an ID in there.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #46139

But black gloves look better than silly yellow ones.

And sometimes it is better to show your face and not be the faceless goon without a personality, but lots of various protection.
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #46142

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:But black gloves look better than silly yellow ones.

And sometimes it is better to show your face and not be the faceless goon without a personality, but lots of various protection.
Same reason I tend to wear the Parade uniform whenever I go as Captain. Being a faceless boss doesn't tend to get people to help you.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #46387

As an aside it would be cool to have some kind of visor like the gold shield on an astronaut's helmet that you could raise or lower to let your character's face show through.

I don't like suiting up as any job because I can't be a special snowflake.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #46391

Welding/solar visors are hopefully coming after the freeze to replace helmet flashlights since toolbelts hold flashlights anyway and they also fit in pockets
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.