Fostering a lacking departmental interaction

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Fostering a lacking departmental interaction

Post by Shadowflame909 » #470825

Gamers. This quest for departmental interaction has come up time and time again. The ones in charge would like to see this game on this server evolve into a nice touching story about co-workers getting along and agreeing. Yet that is rarely the case.

Now, to push forward the topic at hand. I shall break down the current departmental interactions.

Firstly, the classic struggle between Botany and Chemistry. They're always at each other throats. Chemistry has all the coins in this relationship, and Botany is like that stingy little brother who wants their turn on the video game console. How do we resolve this relationship? How do we make it better?

It doesn't need to be complex, actually.

We add a new feature to the bio-generator.

100 units of biomass can get turned into a cartridge of fuel, biomatter. It'd be quite similar to the RCD cartridges.

The chem dispenser would get a new flavor-text. Something like, "A tiny slot for a biomatter cartridge is on the back of this device."

Essentially, Chemistry and Botany would become more of a transaction and less of a robbery.

Botany would come to chemistry with these Bio-matter cartridges, which would give a nice temporary boost to the recharging speed of the chem dispenser.

It wouldn't be a chem dispenser boost to its battery, because the inducer already does that.

I think this idea would, in turn, foster more good interactions between Botany and Chemistry and leave less sour ones.

Because as chemistry mains know, saltpeter (saltpetre) is a real energy-drainer to make.

I think the Ore Silo pretty much solved the other struggles between departments, but Botany versus Chemistry is still a big issue.

So what do you think of this idea?
► Show Spoiler
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Re: Fostering a lacking departmental interaction

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #470826

well why not resolve it like the other departmental interactions by removing them lol
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #470828

struggles lead to conflict

conflict leads to escalation

escalation does not fit into the themes of a high rp buddy buddy co-worker sitcom

If you want higher RP. Reasons for combat has got to go, outside of antagworthy situations
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #470829

This could also backfire into botany stealing more chem dispensers because now they can make unlimited fuel for it.

But overall I’d say its a pretty good idea.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #470830

I don't think I get it. You want to foster departmental interaction, but at the same time praise ore silo which removed the interaction? How is removing interaction helping?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #470831

>Praise it.

Nope

I just stated it because it removed the other departmental conflict, just as a sort of alternative option. If you will.

Either way, it'll still bring the goal of a nicer-player base.

If there's no conflict, no negative interactions. But the removal method doesn't add any positive ones either.
► Show Spoiler
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #470832

Botanists trade exactly once, then make blumpkins
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #470839

rem0be blumpkins

Edit: I just searched up Blumpkins to see if it was a real thing, and I found myself with new gross and nsfw information. Thanks wikipedia lmao
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #470858

Lumbermancer wrote:I don't think I get it. You want to foster departmental interaction, but at the same time praise ore silo which removed the interaction? How is removing interaction helping?
That was done for a different greater goal though, it had nothing to do with departmental interaction and everything to do with making the protolathe and techwebs a common unifying platform across all departments for which to introduce new department gear, circuits,machines etc.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #470958

I never said that was the goal, but that's what happened. Automation and streamlining is helping the individual parts, but hurting the multiplayer experience.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Zarniwoop
Byond Username: Dagum

Post by Zarniwoop » #471007

Used to interact with other departments prior to techwebs. Now I have no reason to. Also botanists won't need to do jack shit for chem with this but I can't explain why for fear of it being removed.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #471372

Shadowflame909 wrote: So what do you think of this idea?
I like it. I like it a lot. Encourages botanists to actually use the biogenerator, which is a very cool concept. Encourages trade instead of theft.

I'd like to tack on that Science needs its DA points back, so it has to run about to other departments, interact with them, and destroy things to get work done.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year