Cult Idea Dump

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Suicidalpickles
Byond Username: SuicidalPickles

Cult Idea Dump

Post by Suicidalpickles » #473436

Generally cult has had the issue in its modern days where its more so just [one person carries the entire cult and solo summons.] Just wanted to generally throw a couple ideas out for use maybe later on ways to differentiate it from a singleplayer flagrobe man stuns 20 dudes and gibs/converts them all.

1) Remove spirit sight ghosts' ability to convert. The one flaw of this is it'd make it harder for the cult to build back up if it was picked off. Though, in return for removing said conversion method via ghosts, buff said ghosts combat-wise, like buffing their sword damage or something. Most of the time you'll never even see them as viable aside from conversion or last minute clutch summon. Just seems generally pointless to have a sword and armoured angry ghost to show up for a few seconds to convert a single dude and die.

2) Scale cult ability slots to their progression. So basically, at shift start, they start off with a single or two slots for spells, rather than their four spell slots. Once they get enough converts to get red eyes all around, they gain another spell slot. Then once the cult reaches their halo progression, they end up getting all 4 spell slots.

h
h
tbh im just bored
angelstarri
Byond Username: Angelstarri

Re: Cult Idea Dump

Post by angelstarri » #473443

remove manifest and revival runes and nerf that stupid fucking on click 18 second silence+stun

Code: Select all

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #473445

How about remove cult. It is a shit mode that was overbuffed because the only way to fight them is to call the shuttle.

For fucks sake they get instagib runes for implanted people. Why the fuck does implantation not no sell cult mind control for fucks sake.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #473446

I’ll dump what I said on github here

next you should nerf barrier runes so that they have a chance of being deactivated/destroyed every time damage is done, or deal scaled damage to whoever drew them each time they take damage.

ooh also if you're REALLY in the mood to nerf cult, make it so that OP cult spells like stun are weaker every time cult hits a population threshold. First they dont mute, then they just dont mute and work a shorter amount of time. (like red eye threshold = no mute, just garbled speech, then halo threshold = weaker stun)

Also I talked to you about the spell slot idea on discord but I’ll mention it here for the sake of the thread. I think the opposite should happen of what you suggested, 4 spell slots at first, then 2 slots once cult hits red eye stage, and 1 slot at halo stage. This would act as a cushion for new players until to they get better, more knowledgeable people into the cult, along with helping cult rebuild. It would dampen the insane steamrolling effect cult has where they just exponentially expand and kill everyone implanted in their path.
RandolfTheMeh
Byond Username: RandolfTheMeh

Post by RandolfTheMeh » #473453

As much as I dislike the current state of cult, I don't think the mode needs only nerfs. The entire game mode has become, flavor-wise, a team of conversion-based magical blood wizards who try to summon a giant rock to eat all the light bulbs in the galaxy. Nerfing them so it's a team of conversion-based magical blood peons only makes the game mode that much more a joke, similar to how the nerfs made clock cult prior to the xhuis rework. It was a mode where it was a miracle if they managed to win, given how ineffectual they were (nerfs to their stun as converts went up was among one of clock cult's nerfs).

Cult would be best if the magic aspect was scrapped, and instead were given major/minor boons from their dark god as they performed rites and rituals to appease them. Sacrificing certain individuals, desecrating the chapel, killing Ian, etc., and had them revolve around not having a set of magical spells they could prepare beforehand, but rather have them act like a cult would. Sacrificing individuals is no longer "three people around rune for 0.1 seconds" but "in a pool of oil, have 'x' number of prosthetic arms on top of the corpse and invoke, as all the arms spring to life, dragging the corpse through the pool of oil, consuming the limbs. Some time later, the sacrificed individual reappears as a cultist android" which would be one of multiple possible manners one can use to convert someone.

So in short, as much as cult needs nerfs, nerfing it will only make it an increasingly dull game mode. The gamemode at its core is just revs 2.0, and without some secondary mechanic besides "they get [thing] to murder people with", will just be a recycled rev gamemode.
Rarely posts
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #473462

Cult is thematically more fun than revs. I enjoy that they get halos later on so I know who to avoid.

I wish SOP for cult wasn't to gank the AI with a construct. If I end up getting converted, the first thing I try to do is rush-subvert the AI before any other cultists have a chance to cheese it to death.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #473464

lol imagine calling blood cult, revs deformed child, better than revs. Revs is the ideal team conversion game mode and no matter how much certain people bitch about it it remains one of the best balanced and most enjoyable game modes.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #473470

cult squad, no conversions, get stronger on sacrifices
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #473487

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:cult squad, no conversions, get stronger on sacrifices
Been tried, and it was bad. Conversion modes are crap, Revs has some redeeming qualities but cult is just Ragin' Mages 2: Blood Magic Boogaloo after robustin got his mits on it, and it wasnt even good before that.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #473512

Idea: replace cult with ragin mages