The Return of Medipens+!

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Zsword

The Return of Medipens+!

Post by Zsword » #48002

So, I took a break back when we still had an Artyom, and come back to see that we don't, and while this isn't, the saddest day for me, I've come to re-state an old idea I had at the time: Enhanced Medipens.

I wouldn't mind seeing R&D get the ability to produce them at the Protolathe, and also research some higher tiered ones, like, Medipen+, With 5u Inaprovaline and Tricord. Maybe Medipen DX, with Dex, Bicar, and Derma, that might quick jump a crit to his feet, though not necessarily get him back to his A game. There could also be more utilitarian versions of medipens, like an Adrenapen, which would more or less probably function as an R&D version of the Miners Haste Pills. Put some Dex, Bicar, and Leporazine in a syringe and have an Atmo-Pen for those who can't get stuff from EVA causeit'sallbeenstolen for small space walks across the inevitably blown up escape wing?

Iunno, just some ideas I had, and ones intended to help incorporate Medical a little more with R&D, and allow R&D to help supply Civies with some means to help each other out in an emergency without pinching other vital ship resources. I'm sure there are people who would argue that this really clashes with Chem buttheyneverdotheirjob but I'd think a little redundancy helps keep the station flowing in case another section has collapsed. :)
Last edited by Zsword on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Re: The Return of Medipens!

Post by MMMiracles » #48003

Medipens are already on the main branch and have been for like a month now.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Zsword

Re: The Return of Medipens!

Post by Zsword » #48004

Oh, okay. It's been awhile and I didn't see anything about it in the Log or even on the wiki. *goes to make an edit*
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: The Return of Medipens+!

Post by paprika » #48007

I plan on expanding the medipens in the future like you suggested, but we're in a feature freeze
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Wizardjenkins66
Byond Username: Wizardjenkins66

Post by Wizardjenkins66 » #48011

You can't make the good medipens that you could make in R&D on Artyom. I'd even settle for the ability to make empty ones for Chem to fill with Tricord and junk.
Violaceus wrote: Mining smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to man- and lizard-kind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as eswords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything an esword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a durand mech with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why Syndicate never bothered conquering Mining? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined miners and their katanas of destruction.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #48018

Wizardjenkins66 wrote:I'd even settle for the ability to make empty ones for Chem to fill with chloral and junk.
FTFY
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #48022

I think that you can refill the medipens with a syringe.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #48029

medipens are one use.

Edit: Also there are various medipens. I noticed as viro, that he's got boxes in his locker with various types of medipen. Because MD's are useless, I've never checked to see if they get the same shit, but it's neat none the less.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #48039

No, that was a glitch where syringe boxes were getting filled with the miner 'medipen bundle' pack.

Miners have two types of other medipens, a temperature normalizing one to counter basilisks, and a stimpack that gives you a small amount of suffocation damage but makes you move a lot faster (stimpack medipens are currently bugged)

Medipens are different from hyposprays in that they hold MUCH less reagents, aren't refillable, but they go through hardsuits (medipen compatible ports on hardsuits is the deep lore behind the balance decision) so miners don't have to fumble with shoving 50 pills in their mouth BEFORE leaving the mining outpost. You can also use them to stabilize people in hardsuits that are in crit where syringes won't go through hardsuits.

As far as expanding medipens, I did want to add some better ones with variety to a hacked/coin-inserted nanomed (the machine below chemistry on box) as well as add a medipen creator function to the chem bottler/pill machines down the road of i find a way to properly balance it.
Zsword

Post by Zsword » #48059

Everyone also starts a round with a Medipen in their Internals box, meaning they're widely available, the default medipen isn't supposed to be 'useful', but it's a readily available 'stabilize' for a dying comrade that everyone has. Medipen, One CPR, start dragging to med bay.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #48071

Violaceus wrote:So medipens are just worse in everything than syringes but in case of guy wearing hardsuit?

They need more love.
Syringes inject 10u at once? huh, interesting, i had no idea
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #48108

Violaceus wrote:So medipens are just worse in everything than syringes but in case of guy wearing hardsuit?

They need more love.
10u instant inject is actually really robust.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #48140

Medipens are not that useful. Its really nice that you can instantly inject 10u of inaprov, but doctors are better off carrying a syringe and a bottle of inaprov. Medipens cannot be refilled, and if they could, they would be rather overpowered.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #48162

Refillable medipens kind of defeat the purpose of syringes if you ask me. You get the bonus of being able to inject twice the normal amount instantly, and through hardsuits, but its only one-time use so make it count.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #48171

Saegrimr wrote:Refillable medipens kind of defeat the purpose of syringes if you ask me. You get the bonus of being able to inject twice the normal amount instantly, and through hardsuits, but its only one-time use so make it count.
Refillable medipens also defeat the purpose of the hypospray, funnily enough. They inject more and go through hardsuits.
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #48179

They need more love.
they don't.
they're supposed to be fast, one-use syringes, which is exactly what they are :V

adding more types of medipens sounds cool though. being able to make them out of medical, however, doesn't really sit well with me. but eh.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #48184

Medipen definetely have their purpose, I always use them as a doctor on people in crit with hardsuit, it's faster than removing the suit and waiting for the syringe injection delay. Making more kinds of medipens from RnD would be nice for specific use (the medipens for mining are great examples) and as long as it's not too overpowered (no refillable ones please).

Also, being able to order new medipens from cargo would be nice if it's not already the case.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #48196

Being able to make them in autolathes and fill them with Inaprov sure would be nice.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #48198

>be me traitor chemist
>new update allows me to make my own medipens
>5u mute toxin , 5u beepsky smash
>walk by a sec officer
>stab and pull
>act as though they are following me while I drag their mute, statue-like body
>strip them in maint and become sec
>warden asks me why im not implanted
>staby stab
>5u mute tox, 5u smash
>oh hi warden is following me to space
>become warden
>implant self
>look like bonified warden
>jail everyone
>???
>profit.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #48206

5u of those chemicals wont last for more than a few seconds. Also you cannot refill medipens, as far as i know.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #48223

Alex Crimson wrote:5u of those chemicals wont last for more than a few seconds. Also you cannot refill medipens, as far as i know.
Actually every tic uses .4 of a chem. I dont know how much time is in a tic on this server, but assuming its a second, that gives you 10 seconds to drag a guy to maint. Thats more than enough time.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #48337

Add bicaradine, kelotane, and dexalin injectors to the miner medpen kit. No miner needs 8 innaprovaline medpens.
Preamble
Byond Username: Preamble

Post by Preamble » #48353

deathhoof wrote:>be me traitor chemist
>profit.
deathhoof wrote:bonified
It's bona fide goddamn dude.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #48424

deathhoof wrote:>be me traitor chemist
>new update allows me to make my own medipens
>5u mute toxin , 5u beepsky smash
>walk by a sec officer
>stab and pull
>act as though they are following me while I drag their mute, statue-like body
>strip them in maint and become sec
>warden asks me why im not implanted
>staby stab
>5u mute tox, 5u smash
>oh hi warden is following me to space
>become warden
>implant self
>jail everyone
>???
>profit.
>he can't tell the difference between dragging someone and someone following you

Keep dreaming you'll ever be robust scrub :^)
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #48859

deathhoof wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:5u of those chemicals wont last for more than a few seconds. Also you cannot refill medipens, as far as i know.
Actually every tic uses .4 of a chem. I dont know how much time is in a tic on this server, but assuming its a second, that gives you 10 seconds to drag a guy to maint. Thats more than enough time.
one tick is two seconds i think
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted