bluespace market

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Moderators: MisterPerson, Code Maintainers

Tlaltecuhtli
 
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:16 am
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

bluespace market

Postby Tlaltecuhtli » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:32 am #477743

currently using economy to trade is clunky and boring, as you have to set up a shop in a place and hope someone walks in and wants to buy whatever and even if you were able to sell it you are left with useless cash in your hand which you have to hope someone would accept to give you an item or a service for it
paystands are garbage as you not only need to get the circuit but you also have 1 single price tag

what if there was a vendor fridge like console that shows what everyone is selling and at what price? making it simple to sell and without having to be stuck in a 3x3 place as it will be handled automatically or by cargo, so you can do your job or roam the halls and also get the benefit of trading whatever your deparment produces (slimes, meth, tools, bananas) without downsides, would also make it easier for cargo to sell their big crates of things into separed items like no one would be able to buy a laser crate (2000$) by selling bananas to clowns but if cargo sells 3 laser separately at 500$ it may be possible to actually buy from cargo by selling products of your department

how would it be delivered
cargo should have a mayor role here by doing the delivery: they get a tracker to the buyer id and a box, they have to deliver the box and get it swiped to complete the transiction or you can buy a express rocket for some extra money which gets put in cargos funds maybe have a timer so if cargo is trash it ll be rocketed after 3 min (maybe at expense of cargo)

how would you interact with the console
you load the console with the items you are selling and they can be returned with the id, to "buy" you select all the items you want and make an order, the money gets put in hold until cargo or rocket delivers and then the money gets sent to the seller


would it ruin interaction or rp?
i dont think so as there would be no interaction if no one bought or sold, cargo gets to be a mail man and nothing stops you from selling old style with a market



by having the ability to sell and buy simplified and more accessible without hurting your time will probably make economy more used



User avatar
wesoda25
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: bluespace market

Postby wesoda25 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:19 am #477748

I like the idea of a communal vending machine but don't exactly get what you're getting at with the cargo involvement stuff.

It'd be neat if you insert your item, swipe the ID card for whichever account you want proceeds to go to (so department if you want it to go there) and then the money goes to whichever account was assigned to the item.

If we REALLY wanted to make it cool, we could install taxes (10% of every item), which go towards the department of whoever is linked/or the nature of the item. That way, departments get some more money and economy becomes a more sound system.
Wesoda25two/(Lalla Hayhurst) "WESODA DIDNT MAKE IT VERY LONG IN THIS ECONOMY"

datorangebottle
 
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:53 am
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Re: bluespace market

Postby datorangebottle » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:17 am #477786

inb4 captain bans for inserting his spare for 50000 credits

User avatar
zxaber
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:00 am
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: bluespace market

Postby zxaber » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:05 am #477798

I still don't see this going anywhere. Paysations don't get used for a reason, and that reason is there's nothing of value to buy.

What am I supposed to spend my cash on, a funny hat?
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
Image
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: bluespace market

Postby iamgoofball » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:03 am #477806

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:currently using economy to trade is clunky and boring, as you have to set up a shop in a place and hope someone walks in and wants to buy whatever and even if you were able to sell it you are left with useless cash in your hand which you have to hope someone would accept to give you an item or a service for it
paystands are garbage as you not only need to get the circuit but you also have 1 single price tag


this is why I made it so you could smash cash directly into your ID card, and withdraw cash directly from the ID card

just so you know

just saying

just a thought

somerandomguy
 
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:41 pm
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Re: bluespace market

Postby somerandomguy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:51 pm #477814

Why have paystations then

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: bluespace market

Postby iamgoofball » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:52 pm #477842

somerandomguy wrote:Why have paystations then

people asked for them

User avatar
Lumbermancer
 
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:40 am
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Re: bluespace market

Postby Lumbermancer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:39 pm #477843

Nobody asked for the economy system goof.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Image

User avatar
Nalzul
TGMC Administrator
 
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:26 pm
Byond Username: Blargety

Re: bluespace market

Postby Nalzul » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:49 pm #477844

Paystands have some really good gimmicks, plus the commissaries already have the chip for them. I'm glad the signalers were added too, but nobody seems to care about economy.

User avatar
Shadowflame909
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Re: bluespace market

Postby Shadowflame909 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:51 pm #477849

economy review

1: the only notable thing about it is that it's an indirect nerf to botany that no one asked for and a meaty direct buff to cargo. Since that's where all the budgets go.

Spoiler:
Image

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.


Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.


BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.


BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909


Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

User avatar
Not-Dorsidarf
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Space outside the Brig
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: bluespace market

Postby Not-Dorsidarf » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:21 am #478495

The only time paystands were good is when you could just seemingly shit them out of thin air and every corner has an assistant selling “sucker punches” or dead rats for $19,000

Edit: this also seems kinda complicated, why not just a bunch of vending machines that you put your items into at the time of setting up the sale, and when someone buys it it gets dispensed
Image
Image

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: bluespace market

Postby iamgoofball » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:15 am #478599

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:The only time paystands were good is when you could just seemingly shit them out of thin air and every corner has an assistant selling “sucker punches” or dead rats for $19,000

Edit: this also seems kinda complicated, why not just a bunch of vending machines that you put your items into at the time of setting up the sale, and when someone buys it it gets dispensed

also yeah lmao you fuckers asked for paystands, i set them up as a holograph setup so people could use them easily, then realism retards came in and shit up the place

complain at the realism retards

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: bluespace market

Postby oranges » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:17 am #478602

Lumbermancer wrote:Nobody asked for the economy system goof.

it was paid for and merged, very unaccurate of you

Stillplant
 
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:58 pm
Byond Username: Stillplant

Re: bluespace market

Postby Stillplant » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:10 am #478788

In real life, money serves as a motivator to get people to do work they do not want to do. Where SS13 differentiates from real life, among others, is: people choose to play SS13, people don't choose to be alive. The guy who plays engineer is already motivated to set up the engine/solars and maintain the station, no additional motivation needed. (That, or he wants roundstart access to isolated gloves, so that he can go greytide better, but since the economy system doesn't actually check whether you are doing your job before paying you, it does nothing to preven these kind of shenanigans.) This means that most players will have next to no interest in acquiring money, the exception being the quartermaster/cargo, assistants, and botany.

This leads to a scenario where the average player will go most of his or her rounds without spending any money. This renders money worthless, which in turn renders the entire economy moot.

In order to fix this, a cash sink would need to be introduced. Something the players can spend money on. My suggestion would be an external merchant, who visits the station and sells things that are not otherwise obtainabe.

Of course, coming up with a list of things for the merchant to sell, and making sure they don't negatively affect game balance, presents a challenge in itself.

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: bluespace market

Postby iamgoofball » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:22 am #478793

Stillplant wrote:In order to fix this, a cash sink would need to be introduced. Something the players can spend money on. My suggestion would be an external merchant, who visits the station and sells things that are not otherwise obtainabe.

Of course, coming up with a list of things for the merchant to sell, and making sure they don't negatively affect game balance, presents a challenge in itself.

these are all great ideas that were on my todo list except that i got gitbanned before it could be finished

User avatar
Caiggas
 
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:51 pm
Byond Username: Caiggas

Re: bluespace market

Postby Caiggas » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:56 pm #478840

iamgoofball wrote:
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:currently using economy to trade is clunky and boring, as you have to set up a shop in a place and hope someone walks in and wants to buy whatever and even if you were able to sell it you are left with useless cash in your hand which you have to hope someone would accept to give you an item or a service for it
paystands are garbage as you not only need to get the circuit but you also have 1 single price tag


this is why I made it so you could smash cash directly into your ID card, and withdraw cash directly from the ID card

just so you know

just saying

just a thought



You did the holochip cash stuff? I LOVE that feature. Good job. One of my steps in combat escalation has become to cuff and rob, then release. It really is a great feature.
“A choice with a clear optimal answer isn't actually a choice, and therefore isn't fun”

VV Quote in which Goofball agrees to follow the will of the players if he gets elected as headmin. VV
Spoiler:
Caiggas wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
Caiggas wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
Caiggas wrote:Now, what if you get a majority of feedback against a decision you have made? Are you just going to accept the feedback but ignore it, are you going to "think about it", but still do what you feel is correct, or are you going to COMPLETELY allow the feedback to dictate your decision regardless of your own opinions? For me to concede those last points, I can ONLY accept the last option. Otherwise you can just veto player democracy anytime you feel like it.
like the whistleblower thing, i'm sure some player will come up with a better alternative for the idea that works out and gives more power to the proletariat player and coder instead of the bourgeois


That's not an answer to the question. Let me put it more plainly. If the majority of player feedback is AGAINST a decision you made, are you or are you not going to change the decision to align with the majority of player feedback? Its a yes or no question.

uh, yes? what part of that wasn't clear


Trying to make sure there is no ambiguity in your answer. I don't want you to accuse me of taking something out of context if I ever have to throw the screenshot of this at you.

somerandomguy
 
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:41 pm
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Re: bluespace market

Postby somerandomguy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:24 pm #478891

iamgoofball wrote:
Stillplant wrote:In order to fix this, a cash sink would need to be introduced. Something the players can spend money on. My suggestion would be an external merchant, who visits the station and sells things that are not otherwise obtainabe.

Of course, coming up with a list of things for the merchant to sell, and making sure they don't negatively affect game balance, presents a challenge in itself.

these are all great ideas that were on my todo list except that i got gitbanned before it could be finished

make patch --> send patch to oranges --> oranges merges patch
You said it yourself in one of the cloning threads

User avatar
imsxz
 
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 pm
Byond Username: Imsxz

Re: bluespace market

Postby imsxz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:34 pm #478917

replace paystands with custom vendors yes please. Sure it'd detract from the epic roleplay of an assistant RCD'ing into your shop and stealing stuff for lolz, but you'd seea lot more use out of economy that way.
Image

please subscribe to me on youtube

terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:



Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz


Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.


Image

Time-Green
 
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:09 pm
Byond Username: Time-Green

Re: bluespace market

Postby Time-Green » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:54 pm #479242

If you wanna up the madness, you could add bluespace trading vendors to techwebs.
Seller 1 has a vendor in his workplace and puts stuff in, and another person somewhere else can then buy it for that price with another vendor.
This removes the problem of people just looting it, but may be too easy.

Fatal
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 3:25 pm
Byond Username: FatalX1

Re: bluespace market

Postby Fatal » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:02 pm #479616

Don't replace the paystand board, I use the shop when I do private healthcare and the vendor wouldn't work for that

However, some notification that someone has put money into your account would be useful (if it doesn't exist already)

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: bluespace market

Postby iamgoofball » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:02 am #479858

Fatal wrote:Don't replace the paystand board, I use the shop when I do private healthcare and the vendor wouldn't work for that

However, some notification that someone has put money into your account would be useful (if it doesn't exist already)

there is one, apparently someone broke your ID card talking at you
it's supposed to notify you about shit like this


Return to Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users