Add a way to intentionally lessen the eye protection of welding gear

A place to record your ideas for the game.
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Add a way to intentionally lessen the eye protection of welding gear

Post by ATHATH » #481198

Add a way to craft a "lesser" welding mask that applies less tint but also applies less eye protection (sunglasses-level of protection). This'd let it (the new type of welding helmet) be used with sunglasses without fully blinding you, while also not being strong enough to fully shield your eyes from welding on its own.

Just make the recipe require a welding mask and something to file away some of the eye protection with or something.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Add a way to intentionally lessen the eye protection of welding gear

Post by Farquaar » #481214

Can’t you just push the welding mask/goggles away when you aren’t welding anything? You don’t even have to take them off.
► Show Spoiler
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #481224

I’m sure coding a rare welding mask that works with shades which needs to be specifically acquired for the entire one job that wears no armored helmet and wears sunglasses, which usually doesn’t weld enough to worry about protection stronger than shades, will be a worthwhile addition to the game, and will save many more seconds than it will take to code, and will be far better than “putting the mask down when you’re right next to the thing you’re welding and back up when you’re done”. Yes, this needless bloat is the solution to all our problems, it’d never fit in minor suggestions, it NEEDED a thread.
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned

Post by ATHATH » #481479

confused rock wrote:I’m sure coding a rare welding mask that works with shades which needs to be specifically acquired for the entire one job that wears no armored helmet and wears sunglasses, which usually doesn’t weld enough to worry about protection stronger than shades, will be a worthwhile addition to the game, and will save many more seconds than it will take to code, and will be far better than “putting the mask down when you’re right next to the thing you’re welding and back up when you’re done”. Yes, this needless bloat is the solution to all our problems, it’d never fit in minor suggestions, it NEEDED a thread.
That job s moth sec officer/warden; I'd rather not have to choose between being fully blind, having no secHUDs, or being blinded/flashed by my coworkers' flashbangs/someone whom I know has a flash just because the flash protection helmets available all work TOO well.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #481484

ATHATH wrote:That job s moth sec officer/warden; I'd rather not have to choose between being fully blind, having no secHUDs, or being blinded/flashed by my coworkers' flashbangs/someone whom I know has a flash just because the flash protection helmets available all work TOO well.
have you tried not playing a race if you don't like it's downsides?
Caiggas
Byond Username: Caiggas

Post by Caiggas » #481539

ATHATH wrote:
confused rock wrote:I’m sure coding a rare welding mask that works with shades which needs to be specifically acquired for the entire one job that wears no armored helmet and wears sunglasses, which usually doesn’t weld enough to worry about protection stronger than shades, will be a worthwhile addition to the game, and will save many more seconds than it will take to code, and will be far better than “putting the mask down when you’re right next to the thing you’re welding and back up when you’re done”. Yes, this needless bloat is the solution to all our problems, it’d never fit in minor suggestions, it NEEDED a thread.
That job s moth sec officer/warden; I'd rather not have to choose between being fully blind, having no secHUDs, or being blinded/flashed by my coworkers' flashbangs/someone whom I know has a flash just because the flash protection helmets available all work TOO well.
Why the fuck is a warden welding anything? Stay in the brig where you belong.
Same with sec, except call over an engineer or one of the countless greys.
Last edited by Caiggas on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A choice with a clear optimal answer isn't actually a choice, and therefore isn't fun”

VV Quote in which Goofball agrees to follow the will of the players if he gets elected as headmin. VV
Spoiler:
Caiggas wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
Caiggas wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
Caiggas wrote: Now, what if you get a majority of feedback against a decision you have made? Are you just going to accept the feedback but ignore it, are you going to "think about it", but still do what you feel is correct, or are you going to COMPLETELY allow the feedback to dictate your decision regardless of your own opinions? For me to concede those last points, I can ONLY accept the last option. Otherwise you can just veto player democracy anytime you feel like it.
like the whistleblower thing, i'm sure some player will come up with a better alternative for the idea that works out and gives more power to the proletariat player and coder instead of the bourgeois
That's not an answer to the question. Let me put it more plainly. If the majority of player feedback is AGAINST a decision you made, are you or are you not going to change the decision to align with the majority of player feedback? Its a yes or no question.
uh, yes? what part of that wasn't clear
Trying to make sure there is no ambiguity in your answer. I don't want you to accuse me of taking something out of context if I ever have to throw the screenshot of this at you.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #481541

teepeepee wrote:
ATHATH wrote:That job s moth sec officer/warden; I'd rather not have to choose between being fully blind, having no secHUDs, or being blinded/flashed by my coworkers' flashbangs/someone whom I know has a flash just because the flash protection helmets available all work TOO well.
have you tried not playing a race if you don't like it's downsides?
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned

Post by ATHATH » #482257

Oof, alright.

It was just rUIniNG My iMMeRsoN that there's nothing between "welding helmet" and "no protection at all" in the eye protection-granting helmet field, but it's honestly not that bad.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #482258

How is welding damage real like just close your eyes lmao

(Being able to squint really hard to avoid some eye damage might be cool)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #482268

My immersion is kept intact knowing there’s no “kinda protective” helmet. That’d be awkward and imply people actually weld while wearing shades instead of taking literally half a second to take them off, thus ruining my immersion.
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #482289

Hold the shades and one hand and your welder in another. Is it that hard?
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.