The Dungeon: An RPG Gateway.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

The Dungeon: An RPG Gateway.

Post by Shadowflame909 » #502815

O' Ancient heroes of legend! You have been summoned to save the world from the clutches of the Demon-Kings hands!

5/5 Limit. Gateway will turn off until all of them are dead. So new adventurers can join and take part.

The Idea here is that there's a gateway that has a very simple plot. 5 adventurers fight hordes of enemies in this dungeon that grow stronger until they meet the demon king. They kill them and remove the orb from the gateway spawning the monsters. Thus ending the adventure.

They would go past very simple connected rooms that lead to different biomes. Like for example, a certain radius of tiles would be a swamp biome, and it'd have spawners (similar to the wish granter ruin.) That'd spawn Leapers and the coded in planet station mobs of the like. Then it'd connect to the next Biome. I'm thinking Tundra. Which spawns some Skeleton Eskimos with spears and a Basilisk. Then you'd get "Hell." Which would have Imps and Faithless.

But Shadow? That sounds boring. You kill a bunch of mobs and then you get to the end and kill a guy. That's boring! What would even be the loot?

You'd level up here.

>Levels in /TG/ wtf

We already have a leveling system in place!

So. I'm thinking, for each mob you kill. They drop a scroll of fortification. Unknown to many of us, and unknown to me until an admin spawned an infinite scroll of fortification and then I OHKO'd myself with it after levelling up a toolbox 100 times. Why'd I decide to use it on myself. I still do not know to this day.

The prize would be leaving with those very powerful tools. That you grew over the course of this journey.

>How is this balanced

There will be three very clear barricades to prevent these powerful items and Heroes from escaping this gateway.

1. In RPGs there is always a sense of grinding. That will be very much present.

What I mean by this is that the mobs will have higher levels of health the farther you go. This is because the scroll of fortification will give you higher damage the farther in you go. If your damage is too weak. The mobs will gang up on you and turn you into swift work. In my perfect dream Idea of this. The amount of grinding will take an hour to complete. Accounting for killing the final boss and escaping. Might sound boring and tedious simplified. But the adrenaline fighting more intense and harsher mobs with different movesets and patterns, along with the biome change as you go further in would solve that. I believe. Your mind will be focusing on multiple things. Like "We've gotten used to this. But what comes next?" "Ow Team-Work guys. You ever heard of it?" "Crusader QUIT fucking shouting Leeroy Jenkins and suicide rushing you're our main offense."

2. Without Cooperation. You literally cannot survive...and this is /tg/.

It's Low-RP central here. Maybe a few peeps work well together. But I assume that like all gateway adventures. It's being dashed towards by a bunch of bored assistants. Do you really expect them to work together? I don't.

3. The Final Boss. Will be player-controlled.

One mob who is smarter and stronger than the rest. Yup. That's the Demon-King. He'll be guarding the core and will have the health of two megafaunas to boot. (Give or Take. I'm unsure how much grinding will be required to reach those heights. It'll be fine though. Miners already have to do that for breakfast.

For Coolness. Let us go full Castlevania, have him be a vampire. A skill like "Summon Bats" The regular Voice of God. (Sleep. Or Die would fit perfectly I say. VoG already has a long ass cooldown. So no editing needed. Hopefully, they use Hallucinate for some awesome friendly fire hijinks.) And a nifty slow regen. Probably already provided by the cleric. And since I want the heroes to suffer and know the fear that is this player controlled mad man. Let us give them Plasma-fist.

Now. If no player goes as him, then they just open the necropolis gate behind his fancy chair. Leading to the Gateway exit. (Some gateway ruins are already designed like this.) With an orb in front. If they take it out, mobs stop spawning and the quest is over. The day is saved, and the surviving heroes leave with their new tools of destruction. That they probably won't get to use since the shuttle will be called way before this. Or because Xenos are terrorizing the station, and as soon as they leave they're going to get tackle spammed and robbed. Or robbed by a greytider doing the same anyways. This is /TG/ after all.

The Heroes of this quest:

1. Crusader. Gets Crusader Armor, A Helmet and a sword. The same as the one legionized on lavaland.

2. Cleric. Gets the Rod of Asclepius and the Syndicate Tome.

3. Bard. Gets the Jester Outfit and Hat, the same as the alternative costume the clown gets. A Recorder, (Gives off those good moodlets. Well-Needed in a horrible grim-dark dungeon.) and a backpack filled to the brim with Self Sustaining Silver Slime Extracts.

4. Scout. Has Wheelie Heelies and Reactive Stealth Armor and a Kinetic Speargun for ranged attacks.

5. Mage. Wizard outfit and a Costume Vendor Hat, A staff. 1 book of Forcewall. (Not that useful unless you communicate with your allies. Since it'll be a 5 tile hallway and Forcewall spawns 3 tiles of protection.) and Fireball.

The jobs will have a similar type of door that the Luxury Shuttle door has. A one-way "First Person Only" DNA imprinted barrier. Thus forcing each individual to use a different one. First comes First Served.

I decided to post this idea here. Just for safe-keeping, and if anyone else is interested in it. Or wants to do something with it. Be my guest. It sounds difficult and hard to code. But ultimately. I think it'd lead to a very fun, but a very difficult struggle due to various facits. Being Grind, Health-Creep, Cooperation, and this being /TG/.

Tldr; 5 cool bois fight a horde of differing mobs with differing tiles and areas. Till they meet the 1 op boi with plasma fist. They also get the stronker as well. This will require massive cooperation because if one of them decides to go solo. This puts the entire team at a massive disadvantage. The cleric cannot fight. Fireball has the potential to self-harm and blow up on its face. The Crusader cannot heal. And the Bard is useless. Leapers are sure as hell impossible to beat solo.

Welcome to the land of /TG/ heroes! We've been expecting you.
► Show Spoiler
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: The Dungeon: An RPG Gateway.

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #502825

Bad idea
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #502850

bloats and detracts from core gameplay.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #502856

Even if we had it coded right now, why should I do it? One hour away mission means that you have VERY limited time.

God forbid if it takes a hour because you're one dude short or one of your dudes are way too far fucking behind.

Also it seems that even if you have a cleric with tome and rod then you would still be ultra fucked. Unless the damage is reasonable and sane (no bullshit stuns, no cloning damage*, no radiation*, no lethal poisons*, no annoying damage in general. [* = unless it can be healed easily, etc]) then you would still likely die due to how damage in spacemans works. It's like how GOOD gunfights in ss13 are impossible unless the ammo can be mass produced while both sides can easily heal/have a fuck ton of people fighting. It just doesn't match the gameplay.

Also AI is another issue. You can't exactly tank if all the mobs randomly decide "eeeeeeeh im gonna kill the wizard" so that would have to be fixed. Maybe if there was code where the crusader is always targeted when he enters a room or shit however it still wouldn't be good enough imo.

I'll admit that this can sound interesting, but the potential problems that I can think of make it sound so complicated that you'd have to pay someone to develop it for it to be made without waiting decades for it to be finished.
adamkad1
Byond Username: Adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #502877

This is a meme... add this to list of things you could add to vr server if it ever came into existence
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #502882

VR's gone bro.

I also think it taking forever if your allies aren't as good as you are is a good design choice.

I thought the Rod of Asclepius healed all damage types very slowly. Huh. I know it heals cryo slowly.

It doesn't detract from core gameplay at all IMO. The only people who bum rush the gateway are bored players who've already played through all the core-gameplay. This has a limit of 5 people per run, which will lead to you getting a whole lot of burnt-out players or a whole little squad of robust players out.

So ultimately, it'll be long with cooperation. Very short without cooperation, and banking on the AI's dumbness is what makes forcewall work so well IMO. If everyone wants a break from the mobs kicking their ass. They just stand in a line behind the force-wall. So the mobs only go forward. That, or they let the mage go up ahead a bit. So They can cast force-wall twice after some time.
► Show Spoiler
Taylork2
Byond Username: Taylork2

Post by Taylork2 » #502896

Shadowflame909 wrote:VR's gone bro.

I also think it taking forever if your allies aren't as good as you are is a good design choice.

I thought the Rod of Asclepius healed all damage types very slowly. Huh. I know it heals cryo slowly.

It doesn't detract from core gameplay at all IMO. The only people who bum rush the gateway are bored players who've already played through all the core-gameplay. This has a limit of 5 people per run, which will lead to you getting a whole lot of burnt-out players or a whole little squad of robust players out.

So ultimately, it'll be long with cooperation. Very short without cooperation, and banking on the AI's dumbness is what makes forcewall work so well IMO. If everyone wants a break from the mobs kicking their ass. They just stand in a line behind the force-wall. So the mobs only go forward. That, or they let the mage go up ahead a bit. So They can cast force-wall twice after some time.
I like the basic idea behind this, but there are several things that probably are NOT good and are easily exploitable.

First is if a players goes afk/ghosts/whatever in a previous cleared biome. If no admin comes on now the gateway is unusable because a player is being a dick, or something they can't do anything about happened IRL.

Second, players can use bluespace crystals and perhaps a few other shortrange teleports to skip biomes/sections. With the right preparations, several players could potentially skip to the final boss and use fast healing along with the right armor to just negate the boss. Completely skipping the grind(spending much less time in the Gateway.

Third, there are ways to teleport WAY more than just five players into the gateway even if you shut it off after five players have passed. I think with a certain method you could put the entire station(if they were willing) into the gateway.

Fourth, there are ways to teleport out after just the first/second biome, allowing tiders or antags to turn any weapon(and non-weapons) into extremely lethal melee weapons in a short time, not such a big problem except when someone turns the flyswatter into a one hit kill against moth people and a 3/4 hit kill against anything else.

Fifth, hours? HOURS? No, fuck that. I would never go into the gateway having any honest intention to complete it(except maybe by teleporting everyone to the final boss skipping everything before that).

I think basic idea of a simple dungeon crawl where you kill monsters, destroy spawners, get improvements, and then move on, is fine like how you described it until you brought up the extreme time investment into this gateway(and how absolutely overpowered you would be if you left at any point after the first biome).
Anyone who knows what they're doing would break it and break any sense of balance or 'fairness' that exists on the station. This as you described it would be on another tier of broken OP gear people get from Gateways. It's one thing to get an LMG that will probably never be reloaded after being spent from a gateway, or three personal servants, than it is to get a 1-hit instakill that could be just about anything like a plushie, plus whatever else might be inside this gateway.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #502902

Not hours, just it should average around an hour. Because by then the crew has rocket launchers (Robotics) Romerol Zombification Surgery (Science) Staff Of Change Carps and Staff of Resurrection Carps (Xenobio) and Ash Drake Armor (Mining.)

Making it take long is to make the loot not feel out of place for how strong it is. Considering End-Game strength is very broken as is.

But you say that instead of being able to make the gear they start off with stronger. Instead, killing mobs should have a chance to drop stronger items? That'd be interesting.

Also, all the OP pre-emptive power gaming is a major problem in every gateway ruin. I forgot to mention that in my perfect visual of this. The Undress and Dress Proc would be called depending on which class you entered. Thus deleting all the items you came in with, and leaving the gear the dungeon gives you.

This would take care of any exploits like a teleport beacon to bring more people with you, and abusing Bluespace crystals. Because no foreign items would be able to go into the gateway.

Edit: I know making people undress when they enter a new place is very possible as well. Because the pride mirror does it, the space ninja den does it. And the gulag does it + it gives you a new set of items as well. Which I think would be perfect to slightly change, to make it fit for such a gateway adventure.
► Show Spoiler
Taylork2
Byond Username: Taylork2

Post by Taylork2 » #503001

Shadowflame909 wrote:Not hours, just it should average around an hour. Because by then the crew has rocket launchers (Robotics) Romerol Zombification Surgery (Science) Staff Of Change Carps and Staff of Resurrection Carps (Xenobio) and Ash Drake Armor (Mining.)

Making it take long is to make the loot not feel out of place for how strong it is. Considering End-Game strength is very broken as is.

But you say that instead of being able to make the gear they start off with stronger. Instead, killing mobs should have a chance to drop stronger items? That'd be interesting.

Also, all the OP pre-emptive power gaming is a major problem in every gateway ruin. I forgot to mention that in my perfect visual of this. The Undress and Dress Proc would be called depending on which class you entered. Thus deleting all the items you came in with, and leaving the gear the dungeon gives you.

This would take care of any exploits like a teleport beacon to bring more people with you, and abusing Bluespace crystals. Because no foreign items would be able to go into the gateway.

Edit: I know making people undress when they enter a new place is very possible as well. Because the pride mirror does it, the space ninja den does it. And the gulag does it + it gives you a new set of items as well. Which I think would be perfect to slightly change, to make it fit for such a gateway adventure.
Traitors with internal storage implant, dex holoparasite, or just lucky miners can still freely leave or take items that can teleport them back to the station or skip past parts of the 'Dungeon'.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #503007

If you can get that along with whatever cheat item you possess and get into the gateway before the 5 slots are filled up. I think you deserve to skip a biome.

I wouldn't recommend it though, considering the mobs would be way stronger then if you haven't.

Level 1 noob fighting level 50 mobs. Solo? Say goodbye to your antag round.
► Show Spoiler
adamkad1
Byond Username: Adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #503083

Shadowflame909 wrote:Not hours, just it should average around an hour. Because by then the crew has rocket launchers (Robotics) Romerol Zombification Surgery (Science) Staff Of Change Carps and Staff of Resurrection Carps (Xenobio) and Ash Drake Armor (Mining.)

Pride mirror doesnt strip you though, you just lose stuff you couldnt wear in your new form and they fall into the chasm is makes
mynameajeff
Byond Username: Mynameajeff

Post by mynameajeff » #503505

add a d20 and you have to use it before commencing combat, attacks are based on last roll and can only use once per zone