Make Shuttle Engines/Thrusters Actually Matter

A place to record your ideas for the game.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Make Shuttle Engines/Thrusters Actually Matter

Post by wesoda25 » #502898

Give shuttle engines/thrusters some sort of use. What comes to mind first would be to make ESC time depend upon number of intact engines, the max time being whatever ESC time currently is (idk 2 minutes?). The slowest possible speed should probably be about 4 minutes, which is with all engines destroyed (ic justification being an announcement that states backup thrusters will result in a longer trip). Since this would go for pods too, round end would be dependent upon the moment the escape shuttle docks. Meaning a damaged pod might still be in space at round end, or might have already docked at the centcomm recovery ship thingy.

Obviously would be a pain to code because not only would you have to do the thruster stuff you’d probably need to rework some roundend stuff.

I’d say it’s good just because it makes shuttle engines/thrusters less snowflake and give them actual use. It’d allow for traitors more time on the shuttle to do last minute objectives or to hijack, meaning hijack meta wouldn’t have to be emag before anyone gets on the shuttle anymore.

It’d be bad because a long shuttle wait time would be kinda lame. Shuttles have very little to keep you entertained whatsoever. However I feel that since the engines/thrusters would only be destroyed by a traitor, you’d probably be busy trying not to die during it. Also if you think about it, they are rarely if ever destroyed normally. Meaning like less than 1/10 rounds would have a longer ESC time. Even if adding the functionality to engines does result in more cases where they are destroyed, it still would probably be a pretty low chance of occurring.

idk is it a cool idea or is it a garbage idea? I feel this was probably brought up at some point earlier but was denied bc people just want their set round end time.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Make Shuttle Engines/Thrusters Actually Matter

Post by Shadowflame909 » #502904

I can dig it

Even more punishment for losing the thrusters though. Make it 10.
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #502907

Shadowflame909 wrote:I can dig it

Even more punishment for losing the thrusters though. Make it 10.
Nah thats way too long
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #502916

It already does matter. While there may be instances where it doesn't work, damaged escape shuttle engines makes the shuttle take a bit longer. I think you can even be stuck in space and not greentext at all if enough are damaged.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #502917

Sabotaging an escape pod so it flies into the fucking sun and kills everyone on board sounds like an incredible salt-generator. Fund it.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #502933

Have it fly into the nearest black hole like that orion trail game
► Show Spoiler
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #502934

I'm pretty sure this used to be a thing once? I think you could screwdriver the thrusters once upon a time to delay the launch.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if thrusters needed actual thrust from gas to function. Hell all you'd need to do as a player is lead some pipes into the thrusters and attach a canister, using denser and/or hotter gases should give you more thrust and make them faster though.