Medbay Restructure

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Medbay Restructure

Post by Steelpoint » #52558

While I was throwing around brig changes I thought about how medbay could possibly be restructured to be more open and somewhat accessible, or at least just to look different.

As such I'm looking at adapting one of my older, but well received, medbay designs to propose their implementation for Boxstation. Here's a WIP overview of the changes via DM.
Spoiler:

Rooms from top left to bottom right.
Foyer, CMO's Office, Genetics and Morgue
Chemistry, Security Checkpoint and Cloning (May move cloning north)
Surgery and Equipment rooms.
There's a lot of work for me to do to get this to work, such as maintenance, robotics getting squeezed too far away and everything in between, however I wish to propose this idea for discussion?

Do you like the design, would you like to see it in game or is our current medbay perfectly fine?

Thank you.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Re: Medbay Restructure

Post by Alex Crimson » #52561

Are you going to remodel the entire station?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #52578

Medbay is one of those "high danger" areas, shit is always happening in there especially when its revs.

It being too open leads to a lot of people loitering and a lot of saxing when things go wrong, too closed and nobody can get around to actually get shit done.
I feel like medbay is at a pretty good size the way it is currently barring introduction of some new medical-related features.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #52612

Alex Crimson wrote:Are you going to remodel the entire station?
It's Steelpoint's secret agenda to completely change box piece by piece.

Don't really see the point, don't like security post being in the middle (easily most useless room which only one person will may be visit a few times), don't like morgue not available for MDs (seriously?), don't like CMOs office being in the open (probably second most useless room) and what's that room to the right?
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #52642

Eh, don't really like it.

There's no reception desk, there's a lot of dead end hallways, there aren't any main hallway windows, the security post will most likely become more of an obstacle than anything, and the only thing open about it is the entrance. The interior is kinda labyrinthine.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #52644

The current medbay works perfectly fine, no reason to change it.

MY medbay, on the other hand..
Spoiler:
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #52682

paprika wrote:The current medbay works perfectly fine, no reason to change it.

Spoiler:
Let me count the ways this is bad.

1. Ugly potted plants that never should be used on the station. I seriously hate those things.
2. Tons and tons of wasted space. Virology is massively oversized for a one job area. Chemists barely leave their stations so why give them an even larger room they dont use.
3. Maint door to virology airlocks serves no fucking point
4. No viewing theater for the operating room.
6. EVEN MORE WASTED SPACE
7. Cryo and sleepers tossed in a hallway. Makes no sense and looks horrible
8. That random space suit storage in the cmo's office
9. That wasted space. Holy fuck it sets my autism off. Why waste so much space but not give cryo and the sleepers their own room?

Last and most importantly
10.Wanting to change medbay.
Holy fuck why? It has a decent setup and it works well. If you feel you have to fuck with something than it should be R&D as it needs a total remodel since no one ever uses testing and we are removing telesci.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #52730

I'm not saying that this will be implemented or put in a PR for starters.

Anyway, the reason I wanted to look at a change, aside from being a time waster, is to not only open up the medbay a bit but also make the sec checkpoint more relevant.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #52738

Here's a more up to date image of my proposed design.
Spoiler:
It fits in and does not take up space from other department nor does it contort maintenance.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #52739

soulgamer wrote:
paprika wrote:The current medbay works perfectly fine, no reason to change it.

Spoiler:
Let me count the ways this is bad.

1. Ugly potted plants that never should be used on the station. I seriously hate those things.
2. Tons and tons of wasted space. Virology is massively oversized for a one job area. Chemists barely leave their stations so why give them an even larger room they dont use.
3. Maint door to virology airlocks serves no fucking point
4. No viewing theater for the operating room.
6. EVEN MORE WASTED SPACE
7. Cryo and sleepers tossed in a hallway. Makes no sense and looks horrible
8. That random space suit storage in the cmo's office
9. That wasted space. Holy fuck it sets my autism off. Why waste so much space but not give cryo and the sleepers their own room?

Last and most importantly
10.Wanting to change medbay.
Holy fuck why? It has a decent setup and it works well. If you feel you have to fuck with something than it should be R&D as it needs a total remodel since no one ever uses testing and we are removing telesci.
Most of the shit you complained about is identical to box, sleepers and cryo are literally in the middle of box, and viro is larger.
>being this bad at mapping
>not realizing cryo and sleepers should be in a hallway and not behind another set of airlocks due to how the gameplay is

kiddo pls do you even play MD i think not *unzips connection logs*
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #52741

Why so much fucking room for a sec checkpoint that will never/rarely be used, and then a tiny CMO room and no nurse desk
soulgamer

Post by soulgamer » #52754

paprika wrote:]

Most of the shit you complained about is identical to box, sleepers and cryo are literally in the middle of box, and viro is larger.
>being this bad at mapping
>not realizing cryo and sleepers should be in a hallway and not behind another set of airlocks due to how the gameplay is

kiddo pls do you even play MD i think not *unzips connection logs*
Cryo and sleepers are in what are called "Open Air" rooms where they have no doors yet are still in obviously distinct areas that are set a part safely. Your sleepers and cryo are thrown in a hall seemingly in a "Lol forgot to add them" kinda way. You basically want to throw intensive care in a hallway to have a bigger lobby

>Viro is larger on box
Had to go look since I dont play viro. I hadnt seen it since like 2012 and goddamn whoever gave them that much wasted space is an idiot. Giving them a "break room" instead of making them risk the security of virus containment to go get food is retarded as well.

>Sec checkpoint
Dont get me wrong I think the sec checkpoints are too big as well.

Get rid of the right hand door on the medbay lobby. Take that little hallway and cut a chunk out of the medical storage area on the right. Place cryo and sleepers in this new section. Congratulations you now have an IC area. I dont know how you would salvage your OR for a
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #52755

soulgamer wrote:8. That random space suit storage in the cmo's office
Its called a Medical Rigsuit. It is a thing that exists.
>Viro is larger on box
Had to go look since I dont play viro. I hadnt seen it since like 2012 and goddamn whoever gave them that much wasted space is an idiot. Giving them a "break room" instead of making them risk the security of virus containment to go get food is retarded as well.
You're literally complaining that an intelligent safety feature exists because it takes up a little bit of space? Really? If only they'd saved that little bit of space so the crew could have a higher chance of random infection! Damn those evil NT bureaucrats!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #52757

A nursing station is something I want to add but I'm running tight on space at this point, I'll see what I can do but a nursing stations going to be annoying to put in.

I was thinking of giving the chemists buttons to also open up the entrance.
soulgamer

Post by soulgamer » #52759

cedarbridge wrote:
soulgamer wrote:8. That random space suit storage in the cmo's office
Its called a Medical Rigsuit. It is a thing that exists.
>Viro is larger on box
You're literally complaining that an intelligent safety feature exists because it takes up a little bit of space? Really? If only they'd saved that little bit of space so the crew could have a higher chance of random infection! Damn those evil NT bureaucrats!
No my point is when virology was first added they specifically made viro in a way that required the virologist occasionally venture out from his cave to increase the chance of spreading the diseases to the crew accidentally. This meant that the virus then had to either supply a vaccine or most likely get lynched adding chaos/development/medbay being more useful to the round. Now the virologist hides in his hole until he he makes a super virus or, if he is a traitor, releases a bunch of deadly viruses and fucks off as the shuttle is called in under five minutes.

>Its a thing that exists
Its a thing that shouldn't exist and shouldn't be easily available if it must exist.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #52766

Just to show the current medbay iteration, still looking at the nursing station though.
Spoiler:
E: Added in a small room that holds the CMO's Medical Hardsuit.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #52785

In game image of my medbay design.
Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #52791

Is that the CMO's near the hallway? It looks a tad exposed and not-quite-secure.

Then again, a lack of adjacency to the maint tunnels makes breaking in harder.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #52881

Ugh those awful lockers in medbay storage, that medbay storage being really tiny, ugh everything is bad
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #52918

I was thinking of making the cloning room have more access to MD's, however I'm going to slightly extend the morgue southward to allow MD's to access it from inside instead of having to either go through Genetics or leave the Medbay.

Also the whole point of Departmental Security is to be in a central position, you'll find that with most maps made after the implementation of dept sec that most security checkpoints are in a very central location in their department. Boxstation's dept sec is horrible as they were just plopped in wherever they would fit, I think the only one that is good is the cargo checkpoint.
Aleph

Post by Aleph » #52932

Steelpoint wrote:I was thinking of making the cloning room have more access to MD's, however I'm going to slightly extend the morgue southward to allow MD's to access it from inside instead of having to either go through Genetics or leave the Medbay.

Also the whole point of Departmental Security is to be in a central position, you'll find that with most maps made after the implementation of dept sec that most security checkpoints are in a very central location in their department. Boxstation's dept sec is horrible as they were just plopped in wherever they would fit, I think the only one that is good is the cargo checkpoint.
Science's checkpoint is in the main intersection where most people come and go.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #52934

Science is better but due to the design of Science you can't actually see much from the checkpoint, hence why the Sci checkpoint was given a unique sci camera network viewscreen due to the more "private" nature of science's layout.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #52943

Adjusting the entire department to fit the needs for one room that belongs to another department sounds kinda dumb. Honestly, the only thing the checkpoint needs to be watching over is the main entrance, or at least where traffic is greatest. Plopping it right into the middle of the department seems very counter-productive.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #52945

The whole point of the departmental checkpoints is to allow the officer to have a commanding view of their department, one of the biggest complaints I get from security officers is that their checkpoint usually has very little visibility of their assigned department nor do they have the proper access to police their departments, science is the worst offender in the latter while engineering is the worst offender in the former.

I'm still working on the design however. But the departmental checkpoints need to be relevant to their assigned department as that's one of the flaws of departmental security.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #52946

why not instead realize that medbay is perfectly fine as it is instead of shoving security's big dick into everything steelpoint?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #52951

paprika wrote:Ugh those awful lockers in medbay storage, that medbay storage being really tiny, ugh everything is bad
That design is only one row smaller than our current design.

Either way, here's a slightly smaller design.
Spoiler:
E: As I stated earlier, this is more myself messing around with a alternative medbay design and NOT something that will be put in the game unless everyone wants it.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #52997

HUUUUUUUUUUUGEEEE MOOOOOOOOOOOOORGUUUUUEEEEEEE
what is the point of the cell charger
why is genetics small but the cloning room huge
where is the smartfridge
where are sleepers
why is cmo office super small and shitty
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #52999

The cell charger was added alongside the defib's as a make shift recharge area, since you have to remove their power cells and put them in the chargers to charge.

Genetics is the same size as the cloning room, in fact its now smaller in the above image. I am however going to swap them around so I can make the morgue smaller.

Smartfridge and Sleepers are coming soon!
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #53007

I like the idea of the security being a central point (as was on Metastations R&D sec), however I think it could be half the size. It only ever will be occupied by one person, who will not really move around inside the room itself.

The Cryo chamber room needs the space way more as that room always gets crazy busy and can be difficult to use when people are constantly pushing you out the way (don't even get my started on the current sleeper set up...)

Also why do people keep using the Two Airlock setup? I get the idea that they're high flow, but why not use the 2 tile airlock, like Bay has and what is currently on the Synidcate base? Having one door open at a time means the reception buttons become useless as you have to wait for the door to automaticly close rather than being able to manual close them.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #53009

I would use the two tile airlock, but it only works in one direction, west to east and not north to south.

E: Also I am using a smaller dept sec checkpoint, its 5x3 as it stands as shown above.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #53108

>not one but two coders trying to change medbay for literally no reason
medbay is fine as is, why are we even discussing changing it in the first place
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
FudgePucker

Post by FudgePucker » #53116

soulgamer wrote:1. Ugly potted plants that never should be used on the station. I seriously hate those things.
I just came up with the greatest idea ever.
What if you could plant your own flowers in the pots?
Have the size be based on potency.

It would help incorporate Botany more and add more use for flowers.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #53127

PKPenguin321 wrote:>not one but two coders trying to change medbay for literally no reason
medbay is fine as is, why are we even discussing changing it in the first place
My post for medbay is for my own station, not box, i was just pointing out how great it is, that's all
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #53173

Steelpoint wrote:The whole point of the departmental checkpoints is to allow the officer to have a commanding view of their department
First time I hear about this. If officer has time to sit on their ass in their department, it's probably science and it's probably extended.
Steelpoint wrote:one of the biggest complaints I get from security officers is that their checkpoint usually has very little visibility of their assigned department nor do they have the proper access to police their departments, science is the worst offender in the latter while engineering is the worst offender in the former.
Perhaps that's because they are not supposed to sit on their asses then? Who told you such nonsense?

I can't imagine what's wrong with using checkpoints for recharging, filling security records and as holding cells.

- Huge amounts of empty useless space
- Huge amounts of empty useless corridors
- Surgery prep room is... on the wrong side of the surgery?
- CMO's office is for some reason out in the front and turned into a corridor
- Security checkpoint is for some reason in the middle and turned into a corridor
- 1 tile wide path with windoors on both sides in genetics. It's like the worst nightmare of anything ever.
- Looks like the balance of walls/glass and therefore room visibility is pretty poor
- Room sizes aren't proportional to the importance of said rooms
- Same with room locations, see above
- No reason to overhaul current medbay

Uh, keep working on it, I guess? Can't say I like what I see.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #53175

Yeah, thing about mapping is that you oft end up redoing your design all over again. Thus here's yet another WIP image I've got.

Also, to once again stress. I'm not saying that I am going to replace the medbay's design, unless a lot of people want to. Some of you keep thinking I'm going to force a new design onto the map.
Spoiler:
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #53178

paprika wrote:why not instead realize that medbay is perfectly fine as it is instead of shoving security's big dick into everything steelpoint?
Why am I agreeing with paprika two times in one day oh god the world is ending.

Medbay is actually at its best, I've seen some medbay designs and while some tweaking could be done here and there with the placement of a few little bits its got the perfect layout as it is, nothing major has to be done with it ever again, we are at.

Sec rooms should just be small places for the officer to sit and take a breather while recharging his shit and checking in with the rest of sec, not the defining feature in a department, it detracts from the purpose and makes it all ugly.

The current design allows for well defined areas for every different room, doors or not; and flows really well in regards of things that are absolutely lifesaving to things that are more situational, nurse station and chemistry at the front for basic shit, straight into sleepers and cryo for more beat up patients, then onto surgery or genetics depending on if they are already dead or need something pulled out of them, patient rooms for some RP action and virology is isolated as it should be; the medivends are in great spots currently and give pretty good coverage too.

Come to think of it the whole station is at a very good spot for the most part on the current map.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #53181

I suggest you say what it is you want to improve before you do anything. It all looks unnecessarily different.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #53191

Steelpoint wrote:Yeah, thing about mapping is that you oft end up redoing your design all over again. Thus here's yet another WIP image I've got.

Also, to once again stress. I'm not saying that I am going to replace the medbay's design, unless a lot of people want to. Some of you keep thinking I'm going to force a new design onto the map.
Spoiler:

I really like the overall layout on that one, but 2 things strike me.

1: Genetics can't see when someone is done cloning from their superpower chairs, and so don't know when to go push button for next human creation.
2: MDs still don't have access to morgue, unless they are going to get cloning access now.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #53193

If I did go for that design then I would toy with giving MD's access to the cloning area.
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:I suggest you say what it is you want to improve before you do anything. It all looks unnecessarily different.
How about just mapping for the sake of it?
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #53220

Sure, but I thought your intention was to push the changes through at some point. Brainstorming it might work, I guess?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #53225

I've never tried to push a change that a majority of people don't want.

Here's a updated version of my new design as well.
Spoiler:
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #53227

While I do like that cloner/genetics setup I think having chem desks facing out into the main hallway is a recepie for congestion. Most of the other ares on the station with desks facing the hall are indented in a tile so they don't block traffic.
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #53228

- Chemistry cannot be in any way regulated by medical personnel unless you literally sit inside of it all the time
- What's with the huge lobby area? Way too open
- Surgery prep gone
- Cloning/genetics setup is not to my liking
- Everything feels "floating" like a bunch of islands in the ocean of whine corridors. In the current medbay everything looks connected and whole.
soulgamer

Post by soulgamer » #53514

Steelpoint wrote:I've never tried to push a change that a majority of people don't want.

Here's a updated version of my new design as well.
Spoiler:
I kind of like this one but I made a few changes. Also lobby needs to be closed in a little more or people are just going to use it to cut that corner constantly. If anything really needs to be changed about med bay is its location on the station.
Spoiler:
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #53525

jesus fucking christ steelpoint you have literally no perception of too fucking big. pointless 3x3 hallways everywhere, almost entirely empty storage, enormous observation, STUPID SHITTY POINTLESS 2X1 DOORS, AND YET THERE'S NO FUCKING SPACE FOR FUCKING MEDBAY RECEPTION?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
PLEASE
GET GOOD
GET FUCKING GOOD

AND THIS SHIT DESIGN BY PAPPPP?
http://i.imgur.com/oqESl2L.jpg
LET'S LIST EVERY SHITSMEAR ON THIS AUTISMAL HUNK OF FUCK

-fucking comfy chairs in the lobby is bullshit, especially since they're taking up the entire lobby, and you're using shitty potted plants all over the god dman place. a computer in the centre of reception, fucking regardless of its functionality, is ugly, and it can just be on the top left corner. BOTH CAN STILL REACH IT AND IT ISNT FUCKING IN THE WAY!!! i also love how there's 2 fucking roller beds just shoved in there, for no fucking reason, looking like shit. functionality is FAR less important than looks when it comes to rooms that mostly serve as fluffy areas, like medbay lobby.

-chemistry not being by the medbay lobby makes the lobby literally useless. there is no reason for the lobby if chem isn't attached to it, there could be a god damn 3x3 sitting area with a door for doctors to see through if chem isn't connected to it. on top of that there's fucking tables EVERYWHERE IN THE WAY, there is no fucking way you need that much shit. 1x1 areas to move around in a 2 person workplace is completely bullshit. the most amazing part is that in the tables taking up space next to chem dispensers you could have put disposal bins, considering the bottom chemist has to stand up and walk to the bin while the top chemist can happily toss chems away with no problems. oh yeah and no fucking windows to see in from medbay, you only have the table hole. wow, epic

-hahahahahahHAHAHAHA the fucking cloning room is bigger than genetics itself! not like you'll have people like, i don't know, fucking inside of genetics wanting powers? not like you'll need more than three fucking monkeys! what, monkey cubes? i can use those? fuck that noise, considering i still have less monkeys and i have to put more effort into a bullshit menial task like wetting cubes. why not just have viro and medbay have a shared monkey pen since they're so close?
-lol at censoring maint, gj there wj

-the morgue is fucking enormous, like jesus christ it takes up so much space. you realize you could make it literally 3 wide with 5 morgues and it still would probably be rarely filled to the brim? and it has tables everywhere for you to put absolutely fucking nothing on, at the least you could put in an op table w/ tools for fluff.

-jesus christ maint door into virology fucking anywhere ruins the point of it being double airlocked. there's only enough tools for 1 virologist so why would it be so god damn huge? notice how much space is just sitting there, doing nothing. there's a shit ton of pointless tables that you could replace with a disposal bin so the god damn viro doesn't have to get up every time he uses a bottle since it's across the room. on top of that, the closets are literally just fucking put there, why not put them in the 3x3 entrance? what the fuck. the fact that there's unused maint behind the department and you couldn't use standard 5x2 cells just fucking BLEEDS WITH "i wanna be different xD", this applies to the monkey cell. those bushes are broken, btw. and the banana peel monkey meme is only funny once.

-an extra set of tools in surgery is absolutely batshit, considering the tools are fucking robust as hell and are supposed to be a rare thing (only 2 sets), if you get them stolen then just go shit on a tree. how about you port bay's surgery set boxes from cargo? wow! idea time! xD. also it's 1 tile too big, for no reason. and it needs observation because details actually count. whining that fluff like that is autistic will get you no where, since we're fucking on a light rp server that's quickly becoming medium rp (what with YOU adding auto caps even!) and fluff like that is what fucking drives rp servers. sometimes the cmo wants to god damn observe without being in the way or exposed to alien fucking larva.

-there is no reason for cmo office to be big as it is, and also completely, 100 fucking percent exposed to maintenance WITH A SPACE SUIT INSIDE OF IT, just because apparently. it's also horribly tucked away (like box's cmo actually) and clearly no cmo would have fun being there. seriously PLEASE MAKE IT SMALLER IT'S SO FUCKING BAD, THERE'S NOTHING BUT MAINT NEXT TO IT DUDE

-the break room/storage is an absolute fucking atrocity to every reasonable idea of good design. there's a million tables while it only needs like five to function properly, the cryo is FUCKING IN THE ROOM, and maybe that's because you decided to put them in the fucking hallways? hallway cryo works on goon because the hallways are actually like 5 fucking tiles so they don't look literally shoved in there and in the way. why not just fucking put cryo in the storage, remove the retarded central tables, and make it so there's no airlock between it, like on metastation AND box? the best part is that, by tucking cryo away in the back hallway, you've made it even fucking further than it is on box, thus giving you less time to save a god damn life. EPIC design!

-i literally cannot stop laughing at the oxygen tanks being walled in by rwindows. you scared someone will steal them and open it in a hallway? oh boy! too much pressure! oh noooo! oh ononono!!

-let's talk about how inconsistent the hallways are? it's god damn hideous. and you can't argue that "functionality goes over appearance" considering you've clearly thrown functionality out the window while you shat this "medbay" (in quotations because i can't imagine anyones life being saved in such a shithole) out. oh yeah, and maint surrounding a single side of it means that atmos and wiring will be absolutely fucking terrible when you get to making it, and no one likes that. a good idea would be to practice what you preach and add some of those 2 tile maint halls you love so much for atmos, huh?

-the patient rooms are just THERE, taking up space that could be used for genetics!!!! why not put them at them at the bottom, where you're clearly putting science. oh, did anyone ever tell you that everyone hates science and medbay having a direct connection, as opposed through genetics? wj tried it in his map and it didn't work.
Last edited by allura on Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #53527

You know allura. The reason I put up a thread like this was for feedback and to share my design.

I appreciate the feedback, just tone it down a notch.
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #53531

i'm totally willing to give a level headed review of your restructure, because a. i don't absolutely hate it and b. you aren't shoving your shitty mapping opinions down everyone's throat, like someone else in this thread.

-the lobby being completely open and sans reception is not a good idea at all, considering it makes it completely pointless. if it isnt connected to chem or reception then why does it even exist? also there's no tables for healing equipment.

-you can just put all the important things for the sec checkpoint along the absolute top for a u-shape, with comp at center, and then there will be more space (no 1x1 hallways) and it'll be prettier.

-chemistry is absolutely rife with empty stretches of land, for no purpose. the tables should have indentations to them for people to wait for chems at without being in anyones way. if you check, every single departmental table does this. honestly you should connect chemistry with the lobby and give it a purpose.

-the 2x1 doors are not entirely functional and very ugly. don't use them.

-having 3 wide hallways is honestly pointless, medbay doesn't need to be hella spacious with nothing in it. i don't think we've ever had a design with 3 wide hallways, so don't use them.

-make morgue 1 tile longer so there can be a table w/ pen and body bags

-i appreciate the cloning room being smaller, but put the book on the table. genetics is incredibly cramped, it needs space for assistants waiting for powers. also, the monkey pen being so easily accessible is bad. aliens can break in that way, i think. unless they can't break walls? no clue. in general it needs to be a lot bigger, move it under cloning probably? that would be cramped, but if the hallways were reduced to 2 wide then it wouldnt be an issue at all. if you moved genetics, you could expand chemistry and switch it with security. security would be out of view of the lobby this way, though.

-the storage is enormous , it doesn't need all that space. you could increase the size of the puny cmo office instead. also, cmo doesn't need a door to storage. they will never need direct access there or something, lol. i know bay does it, but bay is retarded.

-reduce size of surgery observation.

-reduce size of surgery

-sleepers and cryo being separate isn't necessarily bad, but there will need to be a bit more in the small room. it would be smart to remove the windows so it's not a bottleneck trying to enter the room from the hallway.

-i know it's like that on box, but patient rooms are very far from the action and dangerously close to viro.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #53622

Steel, I think if you swapped morgue and genetics lab, and then swap chem and sec thing, and add back in a reception area, we will have a number of "quality of life" changes that already exist within current medbay setup, notably:

1: Genetics lab will be insulated from normal medbay, but more importantly, just one door away from the cloning pods, and have maint access to RnD.

2: Lobby will serve a function again (picking up chems from chemistry, loitering around waiting for your virus to be cured, be out of the way of traffic while bitching at AI to open up medbay, etc)

3: Allow normal MDs to access the morgue without hassle.

Also, the 2x1 doors are cool. Best airlock model in game actually. I am sad that they only show up on the nuke ops ship.