Librarian Minigame: Novelist

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Librarian Minigame: Novelist

Post by Cobby » #504282

Geared towards the librarian although it should be available to all but I was thinking it would play out like the secondary part of a dating sim.

Basically, write book get money.

To start off you can only write basic children's books and doing so increases your skills.

As you gain stats in the various skills (I'm thinking like Story-Building/Character-Development/etc), new genres unlock. IE increasing Character-Development and Story-Building can unlock Romance.

To keep it funny and cute, I'd like some sort of adlib aspect so when you "read" it, you'll see pre-generated lines based on input. Example would be you input a character to be Lola Cobblestone, and while reading the book it says something like
As Lola Cobblestone looked at the starry sky, all they could think about was the man she loved sent off to the great space war... When will he return?
Books are scored based on quality, which can be raised relative to your skills that are relevant for the novel (You won't get as much quality for a Character-Development focused skillset in Action as you would Romance). Quality books would also raise a fame stat, which can boost future books.

Certain mood events can act as "sources" for your upcoming novel and also boost your quality. Turn that near-death experience into an amazing horror novel!

All of this is for a nice payout once the book is "published". Published books should be announced over the newscasters so there's always something you can check out when not validhunting you're looking for a fun pasttime.

From a non-novelist POV, books should give minor effects. Reading a high quality book should boost ones mood as well as give effects specific to the genre that scales with quality. IE a high quality romance novel can make your hugs give a better moodboost while a bad romance novel will make you such a bad hugger you give people negative moodlets. Another example could be a good horror book can make you so scared you have a heart attack! Or it makes it so you have a hard time falling asleep for the next X minutes...

I think this will let players dress up their characters in a unique aspect where previously you were left to the imagination. "Hey have you read X book yet? It was really great!" or "Hey, you're the famous author X Y!".

Just thought I'd spitball it here so people can build on it until I can be arsed to code it myself.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: Librarian Minigame: Novelist

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #504284

u been playing the sims a bit too much bruh
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #504285

Super Aggro Crag wrote:u been playing the sims a bit too much bruh
Garbi doo, zhala?
Simi blavadorf!
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #504297

Actually came up with this after I played a dating sim so 50% right.
mynameajeff
Byond Username: Mynameajeff

Post by mynameajeff » #504462

How much money would a max level librarian get from books.

Monk but its librarian.

If you can get lots of money then cargo meta is going to be enslave the curator until they get you a bicycle.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #504867

librarian enslavement is afeature

as for max, idk. It would be for the individual so can't be too nutty.