Botany should start with a chem dispenser

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Shikarego
Byond Username: Shikarego

Botany should start with a chem dispenser

Post by Shikarego » #506207

I think it should just be a normal T1 dispenser, but I know some people think it should be a limited Botany-dispenser like the lifebringers have. In any case, it is clear to anyone who plays botany that the need for mutagen alone merits a dedicated machine.

Even if you don't care to mutate your plants, mutagen is used to roll traits and reroll stats. Botany without a dispenser feels like you're working with your hands tied.

It's already a ton of waiting, a machine would make the job more active and engaging.

Gonna be honest, I haven't really heard any argument against this. I genuinely have no idea why a botany chem dispenser hasn't been added. Botany feels kinda incomplete without it; as if the quest to acquire a dispenser should be in the botany handbook.

**EDIT: I know chem is gonna get a rework, and I heard botany will be involved in that? Although that seems to no longer be the case? Regardless, even if the rework is getting merged tomorrow, I still haven't heard any reason botany should have its own dispenser until then.
TrumpetPlaya
Byond Username: HRTSultan

Re: Botany should start with a chem dispenser

Post by TrumpetPlaya » #506212

but someone already made this thread like an hour ago...
Kingfish
Byond Username: Enkment

Post by Kingfish » #506213

botany really only just needs a single beaker of mutagen to mutate blumpkins
lifebringer chem dispenser can speedrun any plant in under 5 mins, and adding some sort of barrier to combustible lemons/killer tomatoes/ambrosia gaia seems reasonable
Shikarego
Byond Username: Shikarego

Post by Shikarego » #506218

Kingfish wrote:botany really only just needs a single beaker of mutagen to mutate blumpkins
lifebringer chem dispenser can speedrun any plant in under 5 mins, and adding some sort of barrier to combustible lemons/killer tomatoes/ambrosia gaia seems reasonable
I wish that were true. But it's all luck, so I'll go through a few batches of bottles before mutating to blumpkins. Even then, most of the time I need to reroll the yield from 0.

To make that happen, you're depending on the charity, availability, and presence of staff with chem-access. I don't like that botany requires a chemist to reach basic functionality. For that reason, an argument like "Okay well you only need ~180u to start, right?" doesn't fully satisfy me.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #506226

it's pretty sad that Botany has more fun with a chem machine then chemistry, the main job revolving around the item can ever have.
► Show Spoiler