Map Rotation

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Reeeee
Byond Username: LibbySnow

Map Rotation

Post by Reeeee » #510617

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.
Instead of voting, automatically rotate maps.
No idea how hard that is to implement or why it's not a thing that exists since it seems so simple or if it's a limitation of the engine.

Seems like fancy move to me to not get stuck on meta for 50 rounds.

Input plox.
signnatrire
John_Gobbel
Byond Username: CAPTTLasky

Re: Map Rotation

Post by John_Gobbel » #510632

Fairly certain this is how it worked before.
letshavecake
Byond Username: Letshavecake

Post by letshavecake » #510638

/vg/ has a weighted map vote, where votes only give maps a higher percentage of being chosen
I think goon has a way to rig their map vote by buying extra votes with credits or something
Anything is better than an actual random rotation when half the maps are bad and almost all of them have strongly recommended population counts
Reeeee

Post by Reeeee » #510639

letshavecake wrote:Anything is better than an actual random rotation when half the maps are bad and almost all of them have strongly recommended population counts
Meta Delta and Box all seem fine for general play and don't die unless pop really hits +60, no?
Delta being exception.

Would be a nice change and nobody is saying "remov map vote", just add rotation instead of game defaulting to Meta since afk votes.
signnatrire
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #510744

mapvoting how it should be
1) 3 options
2) 1 is the current map
4) 2 are randomly chosen based on population
3) voting starts a the end of the round
5) if you pick the same map three times it's disabled for the next 3 rounds of votes and cannot be picked
letshavecake
Byond Username: Letshavecake

Post by letshavecake » #510772

oranges wrote: 5) if you pick the same map three times it's disabled for the next 3 rounds of votes and cannot be picked
I understand where this is coming from, but functionally this would still just mean each server switches between meta and box/delta every 3-6 hours
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Post by Arathian » #510781

Why not let people play on the map they want and just voted for?

At most, maybe change it to a 2 round vote. First with all maps, then the top 2 map picks if the top voted map is the one the server is already on.

Terry likes its meta, I know event halls EU loves its delta and there is nothing wrong with that.
Iron, blood and spider armies
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #510868

letshavecake wrote:
oranges wrote: 5) if you pick the same map three times it's disabled for the next 3 rounds of votes and cannot be picked
I understand where this is coming from, but functionally this would still just mean each server switches between meta and box/delta every 3-6 hours
I am okay with this
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #510869

Arathian wrote:Why not let people play on the map they want and just voted for?

At most, maybe change it to a 2 round vote. First with all maps, then the top 2 map picks if the top voted map is the one the server is already on.

Terry likes its meta, I know event halls EU loves its delta and there is nothing wrong with that.
accepting new and different things is good for you
Reeeee

Post by Reeeee » #511051

oranges wrote:
letshavecake wrote:
oranges wrote:mapvoting how it should be
1) 3 options
2) 1 is the current map
4) 2 are randomly chosen based on population
3) voting starts a the end of the round
5) if you pick the same map three times it's disabled for the next 3 rounds of votes and cannot be picked
I am okay with this
Yas.
I don't like the disable clause, if people want meta, meta it is and no computer should deny them that.
The real underlying problem I feel is people AFK voting on map votes, people who don't vote don't care so why should it default to any map at all for them?

I mean, if map rotation is ever going to be in like as proposed by citrusfruit, and is autopoll, disable the preference to autovote?
I am not wrong in assuming autovote happens, right? Right?
If I am, just shoot me already.
Arathian wrote:Terry likes its meta, I know event halls EU loves its delta and there is nothing wrong with that.
No, absolutely not, but we do have so many maps that I very very rarely if ever see.
And meta after 50 rounds really starts to bother you when you know there are other options.
signnatrire