Curator teaching skills

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Curator teaching skills

Post by Mickyan » #518099

There's been some talk about adding job specific skills and this would sort of bridge that gap, if we ever end up going that way, on top of giving the curator a more defined role

What it is:
-Curator gets an encyclopedia with which he can teach a number of skills, mainly utility such as shorter surgery durations, learning languages and even some gimmicky stuff like art quirks

The catch:
-Curator himself can't learn anything, only teach others
-Only one skill per person, can't be changed once learned

Why:
-Curator becomes a valuable member of the crew whose part of the job is based on teamwork and interacting with others
-An extra avenue to acquire traits that could possibly be job specific or otherwise give players more ways to specialize during a round
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: Curator teaching skills

Post by Sandshark808 » #518104

IMO the Curator should be able to learn every language. Then he can mediate with aliens and lavaland lizards instead of jacking off over text erotica all round.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #518114

Curators need more reason the stay in their libraries, not less. If books are boring, we should focus on improving the library system and GUI to make it easier to browse and organize the written word.
► Show Spoiler
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #518115

Station these days is all revolutionaries, murderbone, ash walkers, syndicate

I just wanna READ for God's sake.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #518116

add in more board games

like ss13 uno

that'd be a fun gambling event
► Show Spoiler
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #518124

Move the holodeck to the library. It's 2557, Libraries and books would literally be relics in museums. Curator should be in charge of running the holodeck and VR to run simulations. Give the Curator a special VR pod in their office that gives them AI equivalent rights within the VR world or the holodeck allowing them to drop in mobs and change things. If everything is done well, the Curator could do VR D&D or what ever the 2550s equivelant of Spessmens and Stations is.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #518126

Davidchan wrote:It's 2557, Libraries and books would literally be relics in museums.
The aesthetic of SS13 is a retro-future in the vein of Alien. We have the library the way it is for that reason, ditto with PDAs, 5" floppy disks, and other silly little details.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #518145

curator starts with 3 skill books which give highly specific random skill jobs (medic book which gives you a better cpr version, botany book that gives you slighty better stats when planting, faster do_after for crafting for engineers, etc)
they are one use and curator only read them without making them disappear so there wont be a case where he just uses books on himself but the books are more worth for specific jobs instead of "good overalls"
Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Post by Calomel » #518150

Honestly, if Curator was dcided to be removed I wouldn't be surprised. Him and lawyer only have useful actions during
a very occasional event (Demons), while everyone else has some meaningful way to contribute.

I feel that Curator could be useful if he were given the ability to deprogram Revs, like chaplain does for cults.
Maybe Curators can launch massive tirades that limit/remove Rev status to the target, similar to how holy water kills cults;
this would make Curator a useful role in a different game mode, and make Revs less dependant on Cargo-Sec making implants.
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #518185

curator gets a whip and a free spacesuit, whats wrong with that
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #518189

Farquaar wrote:Curators need more reason the stay in their libraries, not less.
Crew need more reason to go to the library and interact with the curator if you want the curator to have a reason to stay there. As it stands, discovering cool shit in space and bringing it back to show people is one of the best ways the curator can attract people.
Farquaar wrote:If books are boring, we should focus on improving the library system and GUI to make it easier to browse and organize the written word.
The books will forever be boring. Even if the library wasn't filled with shit (and Erro did do a player-volunteer tidy-up years ago so don't think that's the solution) and just classic /tg/ literature perfectly formatted from our finest writers such as Amy Lessen the books would be fucking boring. Making the UI better won't change that.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #518191

Super Aggro Crag wrote:curator gets a whip and a free spacesuit, whats wrong with that
The vampire hunter properties were given to the chaplains whip coded nullrod

ahem fuck the chaplains whip nullrod

all whip gimmicks belong to the curator

coderbase wtf
► Show Spoiler
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #518192

I, for one, think that whips and all other curator gamergear should be removed. It's just turned the curator into a tider with roundstart weapons.

Let the curator be one with the books.
► Show Spoiler
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #518198

Farquaar wrote:Curators need more reason the stay in their libraries, not less. If books are boring, we should focus on improving the library system and GUI to make it easier to browse and organize the written word.
Books are never not going to be boring, especially after your first month of playing. When was the last time you actually read an ingame book?
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #518204

deedubya wrote:
Farquaar wrote:Curators need more reason the stay in their libraries, not less. If books are boring, we should focus on improving the library system and GUI to make it easier to browse and organize the written word.
Books are never not going to be boring, especially after your first month of playing. When was the last time you actually read an ingame book?
Last time I played curator. I try to browse the archive to find hidden gems, but it's so hopelessly disorganized that it's no use at the moment.

When I find an entertaining read, I try to share it with the crew. I get positive responses from that.
► Show Spoiler
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #518251

Mickyan wrote:There's been some talk about adding job specific skills
Which is not going to happen just like the other 2000 times it's been suggested because it's a bad idea.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #518447

“Librarian is lame, give him validhunt gear” was literally the worst change ever made
“Still boring, lets make it easy for him to fuck off to space” was almost as bad
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #518456

Did I give the impression that this was supposed to be a curator brainstorm thread
terranaut wrote:
Mickyan wrote:There's been some talk about adding job specific skills
Which is not going to happen just like the other 2000 times it's been suggested because it's a bad idea.
Looks like we're going to find out soon
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.