need a sound effect for law changes

A place to record your ideas for the game.
bluezorua
Byond Username: Bluezorua

need a sound effect for law changes

Post by bluezorua » #518549

I've been playing a lot of borg recently and the amount I got bwoinek because I didn't notice the law changes

when I have to go from Asimov to murderbone and back to Asimov without having an auditory cue (like the admin PM's BWOINK) you can't really notice a law change

all you need to add is some kind of sound effect
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: need a sound effect for law changes

Post by Anonmare » #518551

Should be something short to prevent it from being annoying when laws are spammed and won't sound like ass when layered ontop of itself from uploads immediately following one another.

Maybe something like a ping or that sound a hard disk makes when it's reading/writing data.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #518553

I wonder if it would also be worthwhile to queue up law changes, so that they apply after a set amount of time has passed since the first change (say, 2 or 5 seconds). This would both make law spam not so very terrible, and also allow people to potentially make law changes without the AI ever being in the half-way point (Purge -> Paladin quick enough would never see the AI actually sitting with no laws, for example).
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #518555

Please no.
There is a huge red text, pay attention to the chat window.
Not only does law spamming already make me want to kill myself without the sound, I rely heavily on the audio cues to notice my core being under attack.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #518557

VG has something called a planning frame where you upload the law modules into that first then into the upload whereupon it loads every law you put in the frame and in what order after a short delay. So you can put in a purge and three freeform cores to upload at once if you want to create a custom lawset.
OFQ
Byond Username: OFQ

Post by OFQ » #518580

How about something like this when AI/borgy gets purged and/or hacked laws set uploaded?
Stillplant
Byond Username: Stillplant

Post by Stillplant » #521959

The problem outlined by terranaut can be avoided by adding a cooldown. So, if you were being law spammed, you only get a sound effect upon the first law change.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #521961

terranaut wrote:Please no.
There is a huge red text, pay attention to the chat window.
Not only does law spamming already make me want to kill myself without the sound, I rely heavily on the audio cues to notice my core being under attack.
This problem exists mainly for cyborgs rather than AIs. I am fairly confident that if an AI checks its laws, ALL cyborgs also have their laws shown to them. This means the massive block of text isn't always a law change, and it can be difficult to tell the difference between your previous laws and new laws.

Maybe have the new law be highlighted?
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server