Cyborg Equipment Upgrade Modules

A place to record your ideas for the game.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Cyborg Equipment Upgrade Modules

Post by AnonymousNow » #56710

Whilst playing minerborg the other day, I realised that...

- I could only get the best piece of mining equipment if I was subverted by a traitor or I'd basically done all the mining already for an illegal tech module;
- I had to choose between being able to see veins & pathways, and being able to see the dropped ore & wildlife - or being able to dig, being able to protect myself and being able to pick up ore.

I figured that there could be two possible mid-to-late game modules printable using mined materials - one that allows the addition of one item of the roboticist's choice to the cyborg's equipment (has to actually source the item, not salvageable afterwards), and one that essentially gives the cyborg a fourth active module slot. Of course, both of these would be limited to one each per cyborg, but you can see the potential - and not just for mining 'borgs.

I'd also like to see meson modules made part of the switchable HUD options (which currently let you switch to either security or medical HUDs), and maybe even having the ability to place various types of HUDs and goggles with abilities into the cyborg to give it those HUD types available in the dropdown menus.

What do you think?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Re: Cyborg Equipment Upgrade Modules

Post by Wyzack » #56721

I think that this is a good and necessary change for minerborgs, and one that is only needed because someone decided that mensons were too leet and needed to be "balanced"
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Vigilare

Post by Vigilare » #56891

AnonymousNow wrote:maybe even having the ability to place various types of HUDs and goggles with abilities into the cyborg to give it those HUD types available in the dropdown menus
SUNGLASSES
> Hedoff SeCuritie failed to blind B.O.R.G with the flash!
Image Image Image
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #56894

Why not have mining borgs not need to have a drill equiped, just push into a wall and you drill there? That would solve one slot issue.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56897

iyaerP wrote:Why not have mining borgs not need to have a drill equiped, just push into a wall and you drill there? That would solve one slot issue.
Part of the complaint is how long it takes to get (and how self-defeating it is) to get the diamond drill. Mining borgs don't really have a reason to keep mining after the initial mining is over.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #56898

I meant that they start with a normal mining drill equipped.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #56915

I dont like the "add anything to the borg" idea. It defeats the point of illegal modules and emmags
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #56986

Roboticists tend to not have infinite laser guns, bottles of lube and poly acid, and energy swords.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #56993

deathhoof wrote:I dont like the "add anything to the borg" idea. It defeats the point of illegal modules and emmags
So we can't have more content because it removes the value of what limits the current content? Doesn't make any sense. You could still E-Mag it to hack it and then install certain traitor items inside it.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #56997

Additional content has the potential to devalue existing content. In this specific example upgrading to get a drill makes sense because it isn't, by and large, devaluing emagging a borg to the traitor, though that is more of a problem with mining borgs in general. But adding traitor weaponry to a borg without an emag would be weird.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #57167

I think it's important - hence why I posted it - but it needs to be balanced. Hence only one module of each type per cyborg, but that would be sufficient to add functionality to cyborgs.

A traitor could emag a borg, and then add an equipment module to give it an extra weapon in its arsenal, to make up for something it's missing after it's been emagged. A non-traitor could use those modules to give, say, a security cyborg a laser for the incoming xenomorph attack, or give a medical cyborg soap so it can clean up medbay without a caretaker's help.

I've also had another thought - if the framework for these features was laid out, then we could give standard module cyborgs (which are never, ever, ever used, in my experience) a new lease of life, by having them start with an extra "hand" and an empty equipment slot, which could then further be expanded one more each by these modules. In other words, a total (with work to get the modules in the first place, as they'll cost mineable materials) of two extra pieces of equipment, and five active hands. I sincerely doubt that it would make the standard cyborg overpowered, and it'd be a fantastic boost to a feature which I literally never see used.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.