Modular Engine optionally involving other departments.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
lolnon
Byond Username: Lolnon

Modular Engine optionally involving other departments.

Post by lolnon » #56807

The singularity engine is pretty much "set up and forget" and only really checked when tator tots pay a visit. This means that engineers have little to do besides wait for things to explode or start a project. New engineers may also take this time to learn engineering better.

I suggest a more complicated engine that involves optional maintenance, upgrades, monitoring, and output useful for other departments (besides energy). Optional because I think there should be a basic power output after initial setup requiring little to no maintenance. If this is idea well received, I plan to code it myself.

The drive behind the idea is to give engineers something to do that involves using resources from other departments as well as returning unique resources back to those departments. The engine would have comprise groups of machines each requiring different resources to run. I envision it as a network of machines which output items for other machines either directly or by requiring an engineer to transfer it manually. Some of these can be dangerous and require special handling. This will create a branching chain of processes culminating in generated power and byproducts other departments will want. For instance a sludge that chemistry can refine into useful chemicals, or items with research value. These chains can in part be passive and others require occasional or constant attention. The more work is put in, the more power and useful byproducts are generated.

As RnD upgrades the machines, new options become available, such as upgrading a particle accelerator to generate different beams, unlocking a new intermediate stage, byproducts, more and different ways of getting to generated power. The same with new minerals and chemicals.

Certain modules or byproducts will bring new dangers, so you might hear over comms, "Chief, the plasma containment field is losing integrity! We need more coolant in the graviton generator or it's gonna fail!".

As outputted power overtakes the station's requirements, "Energy banks" or some such item can be created and sent off to cargo for points.

It'll create more important relationships between engineering and other departments, give engineers a useful activity that is always available, modules with group activities for engineers, and feature hard science fiction (hopefully) which is super duper cool.

I'm at work. Please excuse the quality of my writing.
lolnon
Byond Username: Lolnon

Re: Modular Engine optionally involving other departments.

Post by lolnon » #56880

I've gotten some feedback and realise the idea is barely developed and will post an update once I've developed the idea into something more concrete.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56890

The other thing you have to consider is what happens when 1) the parts never show up (happens in the case of xray lasers all the time where science has to bed plead and scream to get a combat shotgun and uranium to make the lasers and it still never shows up most of the time) 2) where is power to the station going to come from in the mean time. The SMES power pre-storage is fairly limited before the singulo is set currently which means if engineering fucks around (or never shows up at shift start) there's a chance that it won't be set up without the pacman to power the machinery and emitters. Sure, its fire and forget, but it has do be done in a fairly critical window at shift start.
CocaneStyle
Byond Username: CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle » #57938

A nuclear reactor was suggested a long time ago and even worked on, no idea what happened to the project.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #58212

The reason engineering isn't fun isn't because of the engine, it's because of power distribution.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #58239

The engine is arguably the best part of engineering. It is an interesting pseudo-rote action in setting it up that validates you existing. The problem is, unlike medical, the scenarios where engineering is otherwise useful are not common. Even minor damage caused to the station, like damaged floor tiles or walls getting burnt plates, from combat would make it so they would have something more to do.

Another option would be having more minor objects to set up, for example having non-vital vending machines only partially built, or making it so more departments have room for growth.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #61348

Yeah- right now, the issue with engineering is that 90% of things worth fixing are worth calling the shuttle over.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #61489

Drynwyn wrote:Yeah- right now, the issue with engineering is that 90% of things worth fixing are worth calling the shuttle over.
No, its because people are lazy pricks and won't fix anything, even fairly minor things.

If the singularity fucks off and doesn't wreck everyone a new one can be built in 10 minutes, bit more if you need a new PA
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #61501

>implying the singulo ever fucks off after the buffs

Seriously, only three times since the drift and maximum rape changes were put in, have I seen the singulo drift off the station z-level. If it stays on the z-level, drift means it will always come back and rape the station, even if it takes a bit.
Also two out of those three times, it came back onto the z-level froma different side and ate the station anyway.

Loose singulo is very much a catastrophic round ender these days, which is why the supermatter engine should be considered as a genuine alternative round start power source.
The supermatter (in the hands of someone with the CE suit) can be used as a pretty lethal fucking weapon dragging around the halls, but it will explode sooner or later. And when it does explode, intentional or not, it just makes a bomb cap explosion, and people bitch about radiation/hallucinations for a bit, instead of the station getting eaten, and everyone bitching in dead chat about inept engineers.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #61502

Oh god no not supermatter
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #61608

I vote the 3*3 singuloth array as our new power supply. It starts with the middle one prepared, and you have to build more and more because the station's power requirements slowly increase and then when you reach 3*3 the shuttle is autocalled and they're all set loose.

Still a better engine than supermatter.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #61666

it's engine-ering. not every-fucking-department-ering. engineers do the engine, if you want to help get a job change to engineer.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #61669

allura wrote:it's engine-ering. not every-fucking-department-ering. engineers do the engine, if you want to help get a job change to engineer.
If only the same would apply to Virology. (Like Bayviro)
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #61774

I have coded exercise bikes that produce 1/4 of the power of a porta gen (can adjust the numbers later) and lower the nutrition of the rider as long as they keep moving in the direction the bike faces.
My intention is for these to be placed in perma or somewhere to allow the prisoners to do something productive to society.
they can also be used to burn off that fat too.

is this wanted?
私は完璧