DNA Recombinator

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

DNA Recombinator

Post by Rolan7 » #2557

Traitor item which is a syringe, and behaves like one in all ways with the following exception: If you inject a human blood sample into someone, they get the DNA of the blood sample. UE and SE.

Offensively it's about as good as a syringe of mutagen, *if* you can get human DNA with damaged SEs first. Can't monkify people, non-human DNA sets aren't transferred. You can refill the syringe off victims, though.

The main utility is defensive: Draw a sample from your murdered victim and try to take their place. Like a changeling minus the bioweapons.

What would be a good TC cost? 3-4? It seems hard to use but potentially powerful.
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: DNA Recombinator

Post by Psyentific » #2572

...What?

What does it even do? What would I use it for?
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #2573

Rolan7 wrote: The main utility is defensive: Draw a sample from your murdered victim and try to take their place. Like a changeling minus the bioweapons.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #2574

Essentially gives traitors a Transformation Sting.

IMO, If we do get this, I think it's powerful enough to not make it a disguised item, especially if it has unlimited uses. I like it and it sounds fun, but it's also an ability that defines changelings. So I'm sort of on the fence with this one.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #2575

A traitor item that makes changelings completely obsolete? How about no.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #2578

MisterPerson wrote:A traitor item that makes changelings completely obsolete? How about no.
Stealing their face (UI/UE) is the Changeling's schtick, not the traitors.

Following the OP's line of thought, what if you gave Traitors a superpower injector? TK/X-Ray? Hulk?
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
MrSnapwalk
Byond Username: MrSnapwalk

Post by MrSnapwalk » #2580

Here, have a sprite I had laying around that I think might fit.
[img]http://puu.sh/8roW1.png[/img]
Click for 32x32 image.
Good idea, would make many gimmicks much easier. However, I do have one suggestion: allow for the creation of completely new UI/UE combinations, using random names and appearances. That would allow for some creative stuff, including the disguising of bodies and fake Centcom Inspectors, among other things.
Petethegoat wrote:we need to procedurally generate asses so they can actually be used as evidence
JStheguy wrote:Being a closet serial killer is not polite, helpful, truthful, or clean.
I am the last of the moderators for the /NT/station subforums. Please don't PM me any questions, comments, or complaints, because there is nothing I can do about them.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #2582

I'm having doubts over this. This is basically a portable genetics scanner. It could be interesting... But it doesn't introduce anything 'new'. All those things are already possible, just with more hassle.
Jam

Post by Jam » #2618

Kelenius wrote:(snip)...But it doesn't introduce anything 'new'. All those things are already possible, just with more hassle.
While I understand your point, a traitor item not adding anything "new", and doing things that are still possible with normal items, but more easily, hasn't been enough to keep it out of the game before. For example, the Syndicate Space Suit, the Chameleon Suit, and Stamp. Soap, .357 Ammo, the Mini-Bombs, the Syndicate Bombs, the Big Red Button, and (most of) the EMP kit.

It may be a tool of desperation, which, like how most only get the Syndicate Toolbox if they have a gimmick, or need tools at that moment, and don't have them, you only get when you need to look like and sound like a certain person immediately.

Even if using the Genetic Scanner is easy enough that purchasing this would be a waste of telecrystals, maybe it could be sorta combined with what Mr. Snapwalk suggested, where you can create a Random Mcname to hide out under, when the station is looking for Murdergib Mctraitor, or Randomname Mcnukefamily.

Unfortunately, this makes the Voice Changer obsolete. Maybe if it just gave the UI, and something "like" the voice mimicking changeling power? Even if it was just a single-use UI/UE injector that you can customize on-purchase, or on-use, to get the exact name and look you want, that'd be something that no other item can offer.
Spoiler:
If nothing else, merge it with the voice-changer/chameleon-suit/agent-card/noslips bundle
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #2803

A random UI/UE/SE would make a neat changeling power.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #2917

True that.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.