Is the only point of Gas Masks to not get stabbed in the eye

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Is the only point of Gas Masks to not get stabbed in the eye

Post by Bombadil » #58144

Seriously anyone with a normal breath mask can walk the halls without worry in a cloud of Plasma or N2O. I can understand if your in a space suit because its supposed to be a sealed environment but at this point gas masks are just flavor/eye protection
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Re: Is the only point of Gas Masks to not get stabbed in the

Post by RG4 » #58146

How about only guns can kill people and hitting people with tool boxes only gives them bruises? Stop nitpicking.
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #58163

Violaceus wrote:Gasmask should filter lesser amounts of harmful gases in air
Surely you mean breath mask, right? They shouldn't filter anything at all honestly, just provide gas to the face.

Gas masks should block gasses, because they are a gas mask
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #58174

RG4 wrote:How about only guns can kill people and hitting people with tool boxes only gives them bruises? Stop nitpicking.
Thats a totally fucking different situation you are talking about.

A gas mask has a use TO FILTER GASES. It should do that without internals needing to be on. Breath mask should let some gases in that are in the environment around you.

There's a difference between blunt weapons and BREATHING AIR THROUGH A MASK

dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #58182

Gas masks are primarily a disguise.

However players have realised this and stopped using them because it only attracts attention to yourself.

Perhaps making it so a gas mask passively gives you toxin resistance or massively slows the rate you use air when in an enviroment with air (to represent it filtering the outside air or something, I dunno) would be neat. Making you outright immune to gasses is a bit much.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #58210

Gas masks don't need to be stronger, they're fine where they're at now.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #58211

One problem with making them filter gasses is that often during a flood there's no breathable oxygen left, or the amount is just too low.

You could put on your nifty gas mask during a plasma flood and not take damage from the plasma, for example, but if the person causing the flood is doing it right you'll still suffocate because there's insufficient O2 left for you to breathe.

Also if you want to filter gasses IRL you need an appropriate filter screwed in. These are usually pretty damn specific since they're designed to trap a specific chemical or group of chemicals. The filters expire, they are only rated for so many hours of exposure, etc.

All in all it makes more sense for Nanotrasen to just not bother with that shit and provide gas masks and gas tanks that have an adapter to fit them.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #58221

Gas masks look baller as fuck and count as internals, what more could you want?

What's that? You could want being able to shift them so you can eat without taking them off? Yeah, that'd be nice.

What's that? You could also want green vision? Aw yeah.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #58235

I was gunna wax poetic about how gas masks don't actually have any benefit, but apparently they already filter toxins in the air.

This is great, because for gas masks to serve their real function of disgusing people regular crewmen need to want to wear masks, because if they don't you are just broadcasting ill intent.

That said they could use a minor buff if people still aren't using them. As an0n3 said often times a good mix will result in oxy-loss no matter what, so making it so that the gas mask doubles or quintupples the amount of effective air you have to represent you hyperventilating to make up for what the mask filters out, that may make them more effective. That said it is stil is going to keep you from instantly passing out from knockout gas. Filtering smoke hazards from grenades, if it doesn't already, would be nice.
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #58242

Is there anyway to make a coating or someshit that you can apply to items that neutralizes polyacid? Because an acid-proof mask would be neat.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #58273

As far as I am aware polyacid no longer melts faces, and the functionality is purely melting items.

I found that out the hard way after attempting to assassinate a janitor by using it as a soft stun to force feed a fist full of chloral pills today. Man did I feel like the fool, especially because I considered getting a revolver to just gank him while he was still cleaning near arivals during the escape phase of the game but figured I didn't need t-crystals.
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #58285

Gas masks protect peeps against diseases better don't they
Also space lube should protect from pacid.
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #58311

dezzmont wrote:As far as I am aware polyacid no longer melts faces, and the functionality is purely melting items.

I found that out the hard way after attempting to assassinate a janitor by using it as a soft stun to force feed a fist full of chloral pills today. Man did I feel like the fool, especially because I considered getting a revolver to just gank him while he was still cleaning near arivals during the escape phase of the game but figured I didn't need t-crystals.

You have to use a polyacid grenade its insta lethal

ChangelingRain
Byond Username: ChangelingRain
Github Username: ChangelingRain

Post by ChangelingRain » #58338

Gas masks are also better as internals than breath masks are; they cause your internals to last noticeably longer.
Plays Joan Lung and various AIs and cyborgs with mythology and magical creature-themed names. Joan on IRC.
earth-clawing illuminati trans girl
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #58432

Anonus wrote:Gas masks are also better as internals than breath masks are; they cause your internals to last noticeably longer.
Gonna need some code verification on that.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #59468

I'm pretty sure leaky internals is a goon feature post closed source, or something from old code that was removed.

Here's what gas masks do:
Normal masks:
gas_transfer_coefficient = 0.10
permeability_coefficient = 0.50

Gas masks:
gas_transfer_coefficient = 0.01
permeability_coefficient = 0.01

Here's what the code comments say about these vars:
var/gas_transfer_coefficient = 1 // for leaking gas from turf to mask and vice-versa (for masks right now, but at some point, i'd like to include space helmets)
var/permeability_coefficient = 1 // for chemicals/diseases
var/siemens_coefficient = 1 // for electrical admittance/conductance (electrocution checks and shit)

Question is are these vars still active or are they relics of depreciated code?

Permeability is still used in:
-Contract Disease - controls how well clothing protects you from contact diseases (airborne diseases practically ignore this var as they run a check after the contact checks. This check only checks if the prior contact checks have failed, the disease is airborne, and that the mob is NOT using internals(the quality of the internals is not factored in))

/obj/item/clothing/mask/proc/adjustmask -
I think I've just spotted a bug in this proc, when you put your mask up it sets gas_transfer and permeability to null (or 0)
0 * 100 = 0
So putting your internals mask up actually gives you immunity from contact diseases if the person touches your face...
The nulls should be 1

-datum/reagent/proc/reaction_mob
If the chemical is applied via TOUCH this proc runs a for loop against all your equipped items, taking the item with the lowest permeability to run a probability check against, if the check passes the mob has half the amount of reagent thrown at it added to its reagent datum.
If I'm right about that above bug that'll mean that having your internals mask up would protect you totally from chemicals thrown in your face...

Gas transfer is used in:
.... nothing!
Except /obj/item/clothing/mask/proc/adjustmask, but that just changes the var to null and back again.

Now lets look for special checks against /obj/item/clothing/mask/gas:
Wearing a gas mask blocks the effects of smoke

So gas masks don't actually filter out any gases in the atmosphere_datum.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #59478

So gas masks actually protect against smoke? Thats pretty useful.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #59483

Yeah.... except for several reagents that have their own snowflake on TOUCH reactions that completely ignore that protection, namely acid - which you use to melt your victims protective mask and clothing so that they do breath in the toxic fumes... provided they haven't already been reduced to mush from the acid damage.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #59517

If you are noticing a thing with certain combinations of internals lasing longer it has to do with if you are using Air or pure O2, the difference between 60 or 16 kph.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #59608

gas masks are just breather masks that:

hide your identity
filter more toxins
protect your eyes

that's it

breather masks you can eat with while they're equipped if you push them out of the way also
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #60162

MisterPerson wrote:Gas masks don't need to be stronger, they're fine where they're at now.
No, they aren't.
It's hella easy to meta voice changers in both Nuclear Emergency and Traitor. They need a practical use to make it less suspicious, and make it reasonable to have on your person. I actually wore a gas mask with my ID on and surprise, I was detained by a sec officer because I was obscuring my identity. I did the same thing next round, but with a balaclava and wasn't apporached by a sec officer at all.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #60166

I see le meta gaymen ass-istants running around with gas masks all the time, even as non-traitors, often in firesuits. Often enough to throw off anyone who tries to meta voice changers.