Portable Computers

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Portable Computers

Post by Scones » #58319

I know we have these in some form (CC64K or whatever) somewhere in the code. I just wish they actually had a use.
To my knowledge, they can display records like Medical/Security

I wish they were something more - It's a very appealing thought to have the RD carry around and whip out their computer to type something up and save it to a server, or maybe to check on their subordinate's R&D progress, being able to view designs on the server. The base computer could be handled via modular disks that enable new programs on it (Simple word processor, sec/med/r&d records, IM service [because nobody uses the chatrooms]).

I write some pretty long documents in-game and having those laptops with a simple editor that allows me to easily bold/center etc. the text would be a huge upgrade from fearing the single typo that will invalidate all the hard work in the rest of the paper.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Portable Computers

Post by cedarbridge » #58322

Cecily wrote:I know we have these in some form (CC64K or whatever) somewhere in the code. I just wish they actually had a use.
To my knowledge, they can display records like Medical/Security

I wish they were something more - It's a very appealing thought to have the RD carry around and whip out their computer to type something up and save it to a server, or maybe to check on their subordinate's R&D progress, being able to view designs on the server. The base computer could be handled via modular disks that enable new programs on it (Simple word processor, sec/med/r&d records, IM service [because nobody uses the chatrooms]).

I write some pretty long documents in-game and having those laptops with a simple editor that allows me to easily bold/center etc. the text would be a huge upgrade from fearing the single typo that will invalidate all the hard work in the rest of the paper.
You just described a PDA.
Vigilare

Post by Vigilare » #58330

There's a portable crew monitor console in medbay vendors now, that's awesome and there needs to be more like that

the camera bug (syndie item) is basically a portable camera monitor
the PDA is cool for writing stuff but you can't transcribe it to paper (can you copy/paste?)
Image Image Image
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #58444

Vigilare wrote:There's a portable crew monitor console in medbay vendors now, that's awesome and there needs to be more like that

the camera bug (syndie item) is basically a portable camera monitor
the PDA is cool for writing stuff but you can't transcribe it to paper (can you copy/paste?)
Its just a popup window. You can copy and paste whatever.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #58524

I know bay has laptops, but they're quite useless. I remember VG talking about adding PDA modules, perhaps we can handle it that way, have a vendor on the arrivals shuttle that gives out laptops, and scan your ID to buy up to 2 modules, or 1 special one.

Ideas for modules:
Camera/webcam: Lets you take pictures or set it up to stream the surrounding area to other laptops with the mod, working as a crude AI camera bug, only obvious as fuck. Good for heads to keep an eye on their division.
Word Processor: Duh.
Limited computer functions: Like making cargo orders, crew monitor, maaaaaybe comms
GPS: why not
Flashlight: self explanatory
How to/spesswiki: Links to the guide page of the wiki, similar to the space law books

Perhaps emag the machine to unlock more powerful modules, can't think of any that aren't broken as fuck like AI upload or mech controller though.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #58537

The deep lore is that emmags install gentoo
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #58538

PDA modules for these kinds of things would be fine, and like cedar said, they're pretty easy to make since PDAs have unlimited power
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #58580

then it's as simple as cannibalizing VG code. IIRC, the flashlight mod was pretty popular, made the PDA light on par with an actual flashlight. I would personally use the shit out of a wiki window like having spacelaw in my pocket, and it makes sense given what smartphones are like these days.
Scones

Post by Scones » #58581

Tried PDA notepad, it won't accept BBCode shit and thus is useless to me

Seriously I can't write stupid RP documents without living in constant fear of the typo
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #58582

How about if with a little research R&D could make a portable laptop-version of every on-station computer (well, except maybe the communications console)?

And with more research R&D could make a smartphone-looking pocket-device which acts like a super-portable computer, when the normal laptops would be like briefcases and wouldn't fit in your backpack.
Scones

Post by Scones » #58596

kosmos wrote:How about if with a little research R&D could make a portable laptop-version of every on-station computer (well, except maybe the communications console)?

And with more research R&D could make a smartphone-looking pocket-device which acts like a super-portable computer, when the normal laptops would be like briefcases and wouldn't fit in your backpack.
I would make the argument that Crew Monitoring consoles, among other things, are gated behind Secure Tech Storage for a reason - That being said, Handheld Crew Monitors sort of invalidate that thought process.
I just want to have a computer as RD. This seems like a reasonable idea for it. Add R&D modules for other record console functions. Bam.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #58912

Handheld computers seem too OP to be a widespread thing. At the very least they should be limited to heads only, and only allow for monitoring of your department not actually doing your job from anywhere on the station.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #59007

A Baydev was talking about making their laptops more like Goons computers, I think.
But, ya, currently Bay computers are pretty useless, unless you're a Head of Personnel who wants to make ID changes away from their office.
:^)