Add a pill/patch dispenser between the Chemistry front desks

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Add a pill/patch dispenser between the Chemistry front desks

Post by Alex Crimson » #59630

Right now there is just a window. Replace it with a custom fridge that requires Chemistry access to vend its items. Chemists will be able to load it with pill/patches, other players will be able to check the fridge for stuff. However only Chemists or people with Chemistry access will be able to vend the stuff, so there is still player interaction required. Seeing as Goonchem has added a bunch more to the list of required chemicals to have on-hand, id say this is needed for storage and to stop the Chemistry desks from becoming loaded with massive stacks of pills/patches.

The fridge on the south side of Chemistry can be changed to require general Medbay access. That fridge would be used to store chemicals used by Medbay, rather than pills/patches used by the general station personnel.

Its possible to edit two fridges to require certain access levels, right?
Rhisereld
Byond Username: Rhisereld

Re: Add a pill/patch dispenser between the Chemistry front d

Post by Rhisereld » #59631

I will always support a Chemistry front desk fridge, access restricted or not. It would streamline the role, a lot. At the moment it's rather annoying to run to the back of chemistry (where the only fridge currently is) to bring someone's order to the desk.

Previously this has been opposed because it would "discourage RP", which I entirely disagree with. We don't have a problem with Botanists making tons of fruit to dump into their fridge, so why would it be a problem with Chemists?
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #59633

Botanists only need to provide the Cook with food. Usually the Cook has to ask for specific food for the botanist to grow. There is player interaction there. A Chemist however could just load up the fridge with Mutage/healing pills/Ammonia and never need to interact with anyone. If the fridge was ID-locked, then anyone who wanted that stuff would need to ask the Chemist to vend it, rather than just grabbing as much as they want and running. Chemistry should not be reduced to a pill vending machine stocked by a silent player.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #59634

Alex Crimson wrote:Chemistry should not be reduced to a pill vending machine stocked by a silent player.
This right here. Chemistry should really be talking to people who want stuff and the vending machine just does more of locking down the chemist from outside play. Chemistry already has a very real problem where they spend most of the round in one tile.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #59636

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2204

Thread up that pretty much already covered this.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #59637

Saegrimr wrote:https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2204

Thread up that pretty much already covered this.
Well i was thinking more of adding a new fridge and Id-locking it, rather than moving the current one. If you feel this is similar then by all means lock it. Considering that thread has been open since December and had no feedback from coders i assume its pretty much dead.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #59641

You realize this is a mapper change, not a coder change right?
Rhisereld
Byond Username: Rhisereld

Post by Rhisereld » #59646

Alex Crimson wrote:Botanists only need to provide the Cook with food. Usually the Cook has to ask for specific food for the botanist to grow. There is player interaction there. A Chemist however could just load up the fridge with Mutage/healing pills/Ammonia and never need to interact with anyone. If the fridge was ID-locked, then anyone who wanted that stuff would need to ask the Chemist to vend it, rather than just grabbing as much as they want and running. Chemistry should not be reduced to a pill vending machine stocked by a silent player.
You are implying that a Botanist would take specific orders - and a Chemist would not - under identical circumstances. Both the Botanist and Chemist have (or would have) a fridge. Both load up the fridge under their own initiative. Both accept specific orders from the crew/chef. Botanists doing either is fine, so why isn't it for Chemists?
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #59648

dezzmont wrote:You realize this is a mapper change, not a coder change right?
Fridges are not normally ID-locked. Wouldnt you need to mess with its vars to make one Chemist access-only? Regardless, that other thread has pretty much been forgotten about by coders and mappers.
Rhisereld wrote:You are implying that a Botanist would take specific orders - and a Chemist would not - under identical circumstances. Both the Botanist and Chemist have (or would have) a fridge. Both load up the fridge under their own initiative. Both accept specific orders from the crew/chef. Botanists doing either is fine, so why isn't it for Chemists?
The fridge Botanists use is only accessed by the Cooks. Not sure if you have ever played either of those roles, but usually the Cook messages the botanists and tells them what kind of plants to grow. Chemists having a fridge in a public area would not work the same way. chemists would stock the fridge with basic stuff that players generally need and then never need to interact with anyone outside of special requests. the two fridges are used completely differently.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #59654

If only chemists can access the fridge then there is no point of placing it publicly, except to allow chemists to be meta-tier lazy about inventory management.
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #59655

So people can window shop for pills they need. Also so Chemists can make lots of pills/patches without needing to clutter their desks with piles of the stuff. It just makes things much more organized and clean without detracting from the roleplay.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #59701

Window shopping is absolutely silly. In general people either want medicine which lives in the other fridge or want a job specific chemical, which means either stuff like acid and iron or amonia and space cleaner. None of those would be things a chemist is likely to make in advance.

All this has done is convince me chemistry needs to start with a stack of collapsed cardboard boxes and more pill bottles.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #59709

good idea as it is, it isn't quite well thought out, as it will result in either players raiding the fridge to become king of med mountain and fuck off into maint and go braindead, or the chemists never interacting (>implying they do as is)

Instead of a smartridge, why don't we look to the humble vending machine? The chef can load a vending machine with quality food that players can withdraw. Why not a modified nanomed that chemists can load with pills. Non-medical jobs have to swipe their ID and can only withdraw one item at a time to prevent looting and getting too healed without interaction, but any medical personnel can swipe their ID and dispense as much as they want.

It's a sad fact that no one other than chemists use the fridge, so having a place to deposit pills right where they will be used without just leaving a mountain of tricord on the desk would be great.
dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #59712

Another option is to port the code for the mining machine to alert medical doctors that new pills are avalable from the chem-fridge.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #59713

dezzmont wrote:Another option is to port the code for the mining machine to alert medical doctors that new pills are avalable from the chem-fridge.
fucking thing would never shut up if I were the chemist.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #59715

Make it play a sound effect.

Something along the lines of..."PILLS HERE!"
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #59838

I was pretty against this until
DemonFiren wrote:"PILLS HERE!"
and now I'm only mostly against this.

Having to interact with the chemists and vice versa is a good thing, it promotes awareness on the parts of the players, interaction, and makes the job NOT about just silently fucking around cramming pills in a vendor.

Also good: Having that one wall in between the desks easily deconstructable.

It would be nice if there was a way for chemists to organize their shit right next to their desks, though. The BYOND-crashing pillpiles and stuff are a problem. Ostensibly the internal fridge is already there to solve that problem, but it's underutilized most of the time.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #59868

Balut wrote:It would be nice if there was a way for chemists to organize their shit right next to their desks, though. The BYOND-crashing pillpiles and stuff are a problem. Ostensibly the internal fridge is already there to solve that problem, but it's underutilized most of the time.
This is mainly what i would like. The Medbay fridge is too far away and doesnt let people know what kind of chemicals you have available. An ID-locked fridge between the desks would fix it.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #59888

Balut wrote:The BYOND-crashing pillpiles and stuff are a problem.
Why?
Balut

Post by Balut » #60013

I think it should be be self-evident why trying to rightclick to look through aforementioned megastack of pills and waiting for thirty seconds for the because there's 40 each of Ryetalin, Tricord, and Space Drugs on the table is a problem.

There are workarounds, sure - typing pick-up and shit - but that's kinda a non-issue when the majority of people check shit out with right click.

Said pillpiles also clutter up the desk. Good luck finding whateverthefuck you just asked for if it's on the same table as a hundred other pills scattered around. Them bottle sprites are already mostly transparent and almost impossible to see.

If the game grouped items that were the same and displayed them as like Tricord (10u) x30 that might make right click less of a nightmare, but then what would the game do if it was secretly mislabeled 50us of Mutagen? Plus I assume rewriting something that basic would be a fucking nightmare, just to fix this one thing.

Hm. What if the lower chem station were moved next to the Medbay fridge? Leave the window up there, they can still handle requests, they're just more focused on internal production or something. I'm not sure if they can see people at the window at that angle, but that's totally an excuse to make a bell on the desk that someone can ring.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #60027

The most simple solution would be to simply have two fridges, a publicly accessible one and one that is in medbay.

Or move the one fridge between the desks and make chemists able to stock the NanoMed Plus machines just like the chef can stock vending machines.
Balut

Post by Balut » #60101

That's the problem, though, putting a machine that people can just loot shit out of removes the need to yell at the chemists for shit, and consequently removes the need for chemists to pay attention for people yelling at them for shit. That's like, kinda important. Player interaction and all that.
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #60170

Something like the ore redemption machine that requires and ID swipe and limits a player to one pill per 5 mins or so wouldn't be bad. They can get some healing on their own if the chemist is out, but someone with medical access can swipe theirs and pull as many pills as needed.

Shit, if it's like the ore machine, maybe it can automatically suck up piles of pills too, no need to put them in one by one.
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #60379

Balut wrote:That's the problem, though, putting a machine that people can just loot shit out of removes the need to yell at the chemists for shit, and consequently removes the need for chemists to pay attention for people yelling at them for shit. That's like, kinda important. Player interaction and all that.
The thing is, the players that are going to use the fridge are probably the ones who already try to avoid player interaction by throwing everything on the counter. And the ones you yell at for shit are also usually the ones that don't have whatever it is you want prepared anyway.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #60434

Chemists who use their counters for meds are lazy. Sort your pills and patches by damage type. On the floor in front of the desk, preferably.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #60443

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: On the floor in front of the desk, preferably.
Would YOU eat strange pills off the floor?
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #60511

9/10 spacemen interviewed said Yes.
Balut

Post by Balut » #60616

The 1/10 was the mime.
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #61633

I see what you did there.
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.