Fix botany, it's all too tiresome...

A place to record your ideas for the game.
JamalGinsberg
Byond Username: Jamal Ginsberg

Fix botany, it's all too tiresome...

Post by JamalGinsberg » #548384

Problem with botany is, plant mutations are random, and this can result in very tiresome situations, for example I always get glowshrooms which cost half of the credits I start with and only 2 seeds are available, to mutate into glowcaps, so I get the electrical activity trait to make good potato batteries, but because the mutations are random, mutating the glowshrooms immediately would be risky because I can get shadowshrooms, so I have to plant them to get more seeds, and wait for them to grow which is very long with their maturation speed of 15, then I have to get the seeds and mutate each one individually untill I get the glowcaps, I had situations where I needed to mutate the seeds 6-7 times untill I finally got glowcaps, this should be fixed by at least having plants with multiple mutations function like Ambrosia, where you can mutate it into Ambrosia Deus, then into Gaia, and then back into Deus, for example: mutate Glowshrooms into Glowcaps, and Glowcaps into Shadowshrooms, and Shadowshrooms back into Glowcaps.

Additional problems:
The weed rate on Gaia gives me aids, if I want to take a piss I wouldn't be able to do it because if I don't uproot the weeds every nanosecond the tray will be overtaken, taking a piss will only be possible if I have a bucket under my chair.
Doing botany without a chem dispenser is miserable, impotent plants, shitty yield, mutations take too much time and by the time you grow mutagen out of glowshrooms and blumkins the rounds ends, every competent botanist steals a chem dispenser in the start of the round, without it you can't conveniently increase yield, potency and mutate.
The randomness of unstable mutagen, sometimes it takes only 1 tap of 5 units to mutate a plant, sometimes it takes 3 beakers, it shouldn't be this random.
The vending machine displays the cost of contraband seeds like weed for example to be 100 credits, but that is actually false and the price is more around 400, which is too expensive.

What would be really cool:
Having a way to produce strange seeds, or at least have more strange seeds in the machines, with strange seeds every round as a botanist is special and fun, my most favorite thing is to get ligger mutation toxins out of strange seeds and turn everyone on the station into liggers.
Getting back the seperated chems trait, which you won't do.
Adding more plants.

Attachments
tiresome.jpg
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Fix botany, it's all too tiresome...

Post by Farquaar » #548394

Part of your issue is that you're actively playing for optimization instead of just experimenting and having fun with the chaos. Take the botany redpill, friend.
► Show Spoiler
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #548487

if you just grow 1 seed of berry wihtout mutating while you rng spam the rest you wont get in the issue
gaia is intended to do that you have to put the effort once then you put the chem on wheat
strange seeds can be bought from cargo maybe interact with people ? like they have plant bounties
the mechanic is meh but like its really minor
JamalGinsberg

Post by JamalGinsberg » #548501

Nothing is going to be changed, is it?
Attachments
1577631475190.jpg
1577631475190.jpg (21.39 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #548517

be the change you want to see
JamalGinsberg

Post by JamalGinsberg » #548591

Attachments
1578077583304 (1).jpg
1578077583304 (1).jpg (11.62 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #548656

you are lazy, and lazy people make games bad.
If you don't want to play the game, stop playing.