Making Detective More Interesting

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Making Detective More Interesting

Post by Scones » #60405

I'm pretty dead set on doing this so I want some opinions on how it should be done

I personally enjoy Detective conceptually as semi-independent: They don't have SecHuds, they aren't made to be arresting people. In fact, only recently did they begin to start implanted.
I want to make the investigation process more interesting. Currently, it's just POINT SCANNER -> NO PRINTS OR FIBERS -> SUICIDE SUCCUMB IN OFFICE. The question is how, really, and I have like no ideas but:
- Add a Post-Mortem Investigation tool/machine that you can use on bodies, reveals something about what caused X damage (Blunt/blade/bullet) or maybe a rough timeframe of when they died

Anyways leave ideas and shit here and we can make gumshoe a better job
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Snakebutt

Re: Making Detective More Interesting

Post by Snakebutt » #60428

Doing autopsies would give surgery a much needed use outside of the once a week public debraining or 2 minute appendectomy.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #60492

There was this game Murder Mansion which actually give clues like hair color which would be nice to have.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #60536

When a bullet or laser hits a wall or glass, it should leave visible bulletholes or scorch marks respectively. The detectives scanner should be able to scan them and determine the caliber or energy characteristics behind the weapon used.

The biggest hurdle the detective faces is the cloner. Solving a murder mystery is a bit of a moot point when by the time you've got the case ready the victim has already been cloned and screamed who did it over the radio.
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #60547

Never because 1/4th of the server couldn't RP their way out of a cardboard box if their lives depended on it.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #60814

You don't need forensics for detective to be interesting. Asking people about things is a much better investigation tactic.

Like, okay, suppose you identify that blunt weapon was used. So what? What now? How is that supposed to help you find the killer? And you won't be able to eliminate anyone you catch either, because they could dump the weapon they used.

You can pretty accurately see cause of death from the medical scanner anyway. Autopsy isn't THAT useful. Definitely not worth the trouble of surgery.

I quite like the hair color thing. Just a small detail that can be pretty easily countered by wearing hats, but another little thing where criminal could slip is definitely a good thing.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #60859

Indeed. If security chasing you loses line of sight, changing identity as ling and then running in the opposite direction is very powerful. Generic clothing is required, though.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #61006

Well first off it would be nice if the detective got front door access to some areas so he can question people and snoop around more easily.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #61058

Phalanx300 wrote:There was this game Murder Mansion which actually give clues like hair color which would be nice to have.
That would actually be really cool. Being able to scan floors around a crime scene and finding hairs and the scanner shows you a little square with the person's hair color.
"There's some neon orange hair at the crime scene, search all the medbay stutterwhores!"
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #61118

Hm, that's actually interesting. Leaving hair not directly on the item, like fibers and prints, but on the turf around.