More control over antag job selection

A place to record your ideas for the game.
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

More control over antag job selection

Post by CDranzer » #558265

So I have a problem, and I'm open to suggestions.

I like rolling for antag. I'm not obsessive, but I enjoy the experience when my number comes up. Lately I've been playing a lot of security. This presents an interesting opportunity - Queue up for Security, and maybe you'll roll antag and get a job outside security. So I can essentially put security jobs on high/medium and antag jobs on low, and I'm going to either get to play security or antag in a job of my choice. Cool.

So now I feel like trying out command roles, but I have a problem: I think antagonists having command roles is fucking stupid, and even though I will never convince anybody else of this, it's still a personal rule I intend to play by. But now I'm faced with a dilemma. I want to play CMO. I also want to roll for traitor. But I don't want to play as a traitor CMO.

I would like a solution to this. So far my best bet is Ahelping and asking to trade my antag roll for a non-command antag token. Maybe there's an admin online. Maybe they'll agree to the trade. Maybe if it happens a second time they don't get iffy about letting me stockpile antag tokens. That's a lot of maybes. The alternative is either not playing CMO or not rolling for antag.

My ideal solution would be either a whitelist (When I'm antag, roll for these jobs) or a blacklist (When I'm antag, never roll for these jobs). However, I'm of two minds about this. While it'd be an ideal solution to my problem and also permit me other opportunities (Maybe I never want to be a rev bartender or a cultist doctor), it might also make antag rolling even worse, with everybody just sticking chemist or scientist on their whitelist (or putting all jobs but those on their blacklist). On the other hand, you can technically already do this if you want to play security roles, and it might prevent people from just phoning it in when they land on I-Want-To-Antag-This-Job-But-Not-Play-It-Normally.

I realize this whole thing may just be an issue with my unique brand of autism, but I'd still like to hear other opinions.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: More control over antag job selection

Post by Nabski » #559606

If lots of people agree job is only worth while antag, won’t it become almost meta that for instance clown is always antag because everyone sets it to clown but only as antag so they can use the clown car.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #559633

Nabski wrote:If lots of people agree job is only worth while antag, won’t it become almost meta that for instance clown is always antag because everyone sets it to clown but only as antag so they can use the clown car.
do you think people trust viro
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #559644

If a majority of the players feel that a role is worthless without antag, I could see it possibly causing issues with people metagaming the role as antags, but I don't know if there's any reason to believe that will be the case. Even with roles like Viro, I assume that if the Viro-Only-As-Antag player doesn't get it, someone else who cares less will. That being said, This is more a request to blacklist certain roles from antag on a per-client basis, not whitelist them. There could easily just be a function where if you use the blacklist feature to try and game the system and your possible list of remaining roles are all filled, you simply (silently?) forfeit your antag roll to someone else.

Personally, I dislike being placed into a random role if I get antag, and would rather just be made an assistant if I roll antag and my preferred options are taken. I don't have any interest in playing viro or botany, even as a traitor, and would probably rather just be sent back to the lobby like I do when I don't get antag.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #559645

zxaber wrote: Personally, I dislike being placed into a random role if I get antag, and would rather just be made an assistant if I roll antag and my preferred options are taken.
How to set it so that it makes you assistant if you don't roll for any jobs you like
Spoiler:
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #559661

zxaber wrote:If a majority of the players feel that a role is worthless without antag, I could see it possibly causing issues with people metagaming the role as antags, but I don't know if there's any reason to believe that will be the case. Even with roles like Viro, I assume that if the Viro-Only-As-Antag player doesn't get it, someone else who cares less will. That being said, This is more a request to blacklist certain roles from antag on a per-client basis, not whitelist them. There could easily just be a function where if you use the blacklist feature to try and game the system and your possible list of remaining roles are all filled, you simply (silently?) forfeit your antag roll to someone else.

Personally, I dislike being placed into a random role if I get antag, and would rather just be made an assistant if I roll antag and my preferred options are taken. I don't have any interest in playing viro or botany, even as a traitor, and would probably rather just be sent back to the lobby like I do when I don't get antag.
blacklisting is just reverse whitelisting, you can blacklist all jobs that you dont want to be antag as so its identical to a whitelist of all jobs you want to be as antag
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #559744

To clarify my original post - When I said "whitelist", what I should have said is "A separate list of job priorities for a given antag role".
When I talk about a blacklist, I mean having it operate on top of the existing job priority system - so while you could technically make all your antag jobs be low priority and then blacklist everything else, you'd still end up yielding job selection to other people who had those jobs on high priority. And if you're not blacklisting a high priority job, then you're kind of back where you started with the current system - You're going to be landing that job anyway, antag or not.

In essence, the practicality of the antag blacklist metagame would be "I'll sacrifice high priority in exchange for more fine grained control over antag roles".
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #560713

To be honest you could have a limit of antag job blacklists - you can block out 5 jobs from antag, so I would be able to stop getting traitor doctor every single time I roll antag (when all my selected jobs can't be antag - silicon+sec) but that won't let you just get a certain job when you do roll antag.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Reeeee
Byond Username: LibbySnow

Post by Reeeee » #560748

You could also stop antag rolling doe and just let it happen. So that's a thing.
Play sec if you need valids that much, it always provides and you will never survive it.

Playing "role x" as antag is 1tc and it's called a toolbox and you can get one for free if you are robust.
signnatrire
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #560749

bro just ask hop to change job or sneak into viro and use a machete to teach him how the vietnamese cultivate bamboos
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #560853

Reeeee wrote:Play sec if you need valids that much, it always provides and you will never survive it.
you can’t just kill whoever you want as sec
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.