Player/role time-based job title system

A place to record your ideas for the game.
angelstarri
Byond Username: Angelstarri

Player/role time-based job title system

Post by angelstarri » #560156

Trying to poll server interest in this. Oranges said he'd like it so there was a clear distinction on the assistant role between new players to the game and those using the assistant role to greytide in the way of making sub 50 hour players "interns". Would you be okay with this?

I would like to extend this a little further and apply time-based titles to department jobs as well, such as "Security Intern" or "Security Trainee" instead of Security Officer, "Medical Intern" for medical doctors, "Cargo Intern" and so on to define those who have the knowledge and invested time in the job and those who don't.

Code: Select all

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Player/role time-based job title system

Post by BeeSting12 » #560160

I like the assistant idea but idk about the rest of them i feel like it would cause people to get made fun of because theyre new and scare them off the role even though theres really only one way to get better and that's to play the role.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #560171

security interns are probably a bad idea, they would just get bullied because they are easy targets
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #560173

Agree with above thoughts, yes for assistant interns, definitely no for security interns
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #560199

I like the intern on all roles idea, getting bullied for being bad/new is just one extra challenge on top of learning a job that already exists and it's not that big of a deal
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #560205

teepeepee wrote:I like the intern on all roles idea, getting bullied for being bad/new is just one extra challenge on top of learning a job that already exists and it's not that big of a deal
>be ling

>want to get into sec and terrorize some shit

>see a security intern

easy pickins

Edit: downside I guess of going for the newbie, is that people expect you to be new. If your using pro strats or acting competent as a security intern, that might raise suspicions.

BUT, you could also downplay your sinister acts as the mistakes of a newbie.
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #560211

can I speak to a REAL security officer?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #560213

Then there's the other way around where you see an intern that mostly knows their shit and is just using the role to avoid responsibility or worse, to invite antagonist action upon themselves. I would say I'm decently robust when it comes to combat... I know how to fight at least, but I have almost no playtime as sec. Maybe the issue I'm seeing with that is too minor to matter.

Of course, would there be "senior" roles as well, like "Senior Botanist"? What about jobs that only have one slot like Clown or Bartender?

If you really wanted to curb greytiding, though, you're remove the all maint access that Assistants enjoy.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #560215

This but also make all GameAdmins with less than 5k gametime TrialAdmins
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
angelstarri

Post by angelstarri » #560235

I was thinking of making it integrate "seniority" for rewarding longer playtimes but I quickly realized it would lead to elitism and thought away from it.

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
angelstarri

Post by angelstarri » #560236

For clarification's sake, you won't be able to use the intern title after spending 50 hours on the role, in which you'll immediately be switched to your normal job title. The aim of this is to reduce the number of experienced players masquerading as new ones.

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #560258

if yout hink about it a lawyer is already a security intern so no biggie there
stan_albatross
Byond Username: Stan_albatross

Post by stan_albatross » #560295

I don't think you need 50 hours in a job to become more than "intern" levels of experienced at it.
What more can you learn from 50 hours of genetics and virology than you can in 10 hours?
Even the requirements for Captain are not as high as 50 hours, just 16 hours as x department job then 16 hours as command, making for 32 hours total. Maybe 8 hours could be the requirement for normal status, and 16 the requirement for senior.
Obviously some roles like atmos tech have a lot more depth and opportunity for learning than say janitor, so perhaps make the time requirements unique to each job. Or use job xp like goon, but that's neither fish nor flesh.
(also what really defines if someone is good at a job or not at the start is if they properly read the wiki page before playing it)
Karl Karlsson and never anything else
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #560300

what if like time spent in a job doesn't equate with experience though
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #560307

no senior roles, just intern ones
cacogen wrote:what if like time spent in a job doesn't equate with experience though
it's just a guide to how much exposure to a job and the game as a whole someone might have caco