Power Management

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Power Management

Post by Scones » #61613

this has some potential but as it stands is pretty fucking boring - if you decide to be the power-manager-engineer your round is always:

>set up solars/sing
>never touch them again
>you are getting huge excess power (upwards of 400k on eff3 solars)
>power fails in an area
>someone cut a wire
>replace wire

i wish there was more you could do, like configure what equipment in an area would lose power first so you can actually cut down nonessentials in contrast to total shutoff. its also influenced by the fact that sing/solars generates huge excess amounts of power to the point where power literally will never be an issue unless large sections of wire are destroyed and 'power management' is really looking at the console to see which APCs aren't charging.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Snakebutt

Re: Power Management

Post by Snakebutt » #61776

I think the solution to power isn't in the output, but in the usage.

Make equipment use more power. Recharging a mech? Say goodbye to a fuckload of power. Chemist working at maximum output? Add a 'rapid recharge' button that drains the fuck out of the APC to regain power faster. Siphon/flood an area with air/plasma? Running those vents at high output takes a lot of power compared to their usual passive output.

Basically, by default the power usage of the station is pretty low and efficient, but when the round gains momentum and people start working, maaaybe the solars alone just won't cut it. It would lead to monitoring the APCs, increasing their draw from the grid if they're being used heavily (keeping them high by default leads to a shitload of wasted power, as the APCs drain that much power from the grid and make it go poof if the power cell is full, so you want them as low as possible to avoid wasting it.

Also give the singulo 2-3 less collectors, forcing you to make do with less until science makes you a few new boards, and giving time to atmos to spacecool a canister of plasma for the engine.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #61912

If coderbus didn't I DED NERF PLS being shocked by doors you might understand how much power is available with just lord singloth.

Also if you were around for when it was never worth recharging a power cell ever you might think there is no power because they did exactly what Snakebutt suggested but waaaaaaaaay faster.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #61996

Eh, I'm more down for reducing the amount of power solars and the singulo generate (or at least making it harder to maximize the output). Would make being an engineer more interesting.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #62004

Having power be a currency that engineering could dole out would be interesting.

As is we have mechanical support for it from chemistry, and updating botany, cargo, security, and medical to be a bit more power hungry would be easy. Nominal operations would be fine with just the singulo but power excess from solars would allow chemistry to pump stuff out at ridiculous rates or let botany supercharge a lighting rig to grow stuff fast.

Bonus points: Gives the captain the reason to shout "I need more power" and the CE to shout "I am giving her all she's got captn!"
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #62026

Oh yeah, dezz reminded me of just how power intensive high order hydroponics can be. IRL, a lot of pot operations are caught by the MASSIVE use of power all those lights take. 5 lights are availible from the machine, and more can be ordered from cargo. Each one uses as much power as the entire room does by default, but increases all positive mutations by an amount and adds 1-3 to yield/growth. This and a pump attached to a tank can allow for low upkeep, high output growth so one botanist can use all the trays without being a slave to them.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #62056

New roundtype - Hostile Takeover.

Crew decides to rebel against Centcom, has to build and maintain a massive tractor beam that drags the Centcom Z-level to immediately (North/South/East/West - whichever direction it's pointed) of the station, whilst being attacked by Deathsquads of various flavours supported by ERTs. Then they have to take over a Centcom filled with people an admin assigns to its defence. Tractor beam has MASSIVE power draws, and part of Centcom's defence strategy is to drain the station's power grid to arrest the pulling, which the crew has to counter.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #62065

an engineering mode other than shuttlebuild would be neat, but moving the centcom station is a terrible idea. Have you SEEN that z-level? The area you land in is about all there is to it, everything is in isolated rooms floating in space. It's a mess because it isn't meant to be used.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #62066

Snakebutt wrote:an engineering mode other than shuttlebuild would be neat, but moving the centcom station is a terrible idea. Have you SEEN that z-level? The area you land in is about all there is to it, everything is in isolated rooms floating in space. It's a mess because it isn't meant to be used.
I miss old Centcom. The Centcom that had stuff in it.

We have a gateway mission that's an old, abandoned Centcom as we had before. And even a really old Uterus station, if I recall correctly.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Post by mikecari » #62071

Is it possible to counter a power sink with a fuck-ton of power? Or do you always have to find it yourself? If not then maybe make it so that all four solars + singulo can stop a power sink from completely screwing the system.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #62122

People do want to make actual power management a thing but currently due to how it was designed and coded for years now it will be difficult
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #63684

Violaceus wrote:Wiring fully loaded singularity engine directly into the grid negates powersink if I remember correctly.
Only problem is that after absorbing x-amount of power it explodes
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #63689

This would be awesome. Even a change to singulo's output power amount, so it wouldn't create a huge surplus, would make things more interesting.

Maybe there could be a way for engineers to set up fuses around the station which could be switched on/off from engineering to disable power from station wings, to detect where the powersink is or be a power tyrant.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #63703

Most of the power systems are set up and forget.

Solars aren't quite optimal, unless you wire them directly to the grid then they're fine - SMESes basically work as a back up power system on a secondary loop.

Singulo though is literally fill up tanks, start up the engine, set power to ON-0 and fuck off for 9 hours