Suggestion: Player Voices

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lord Sexual Waffle

Suggestion: Player Voices

Post by Lord Sexual Waffle » #62821

I think player voices on this server would be a good idea. Like the voices that used to be on New Eden station.
Lord Sexual Waffle

Re: Suggestion: Player Voices

Post by Lord Sexual Waffle » #62889

Why does everyone hate voices so damn much.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #62890

Potential for spamming, abuse, being generally annoying, possibly a bitch to code, also JOHN MADDEN.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wizardjenkins66
Byond Username: Wizardjenkins66

Post by Wizardjenkins66 » #62892

Violaceus wrote: Mining smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to man- and lizard-kind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as eswords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything an esword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a durand mech with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why Syndicate never bothered conquering Mining? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined miners and their katanas of destruction.
Lord Sexual Waffle

Post by Lord Sexual Waffle » #62896

I was never saying to force people to have it on, it would be cool if it was something you could turn on and off
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #62906

And you people wonder why the fuck Coderbus hates everyone.
Spoiler:
S'not a great idea though.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Lord Sexual Waffle

Post by Lord Sexual Waffle » #62915

Just saying, if it was optional, it would be a nice addition
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #62922

I'm assuming you mean Moonbase Alpha text-to-speech here, yes? It would presumably be a lot of work to not make you sound like you were Stephen Hawking. I also wonder how laggy it would be for BYOND to process 50 guys yelling AI DOOR through a voice synthesizer at once.

I guess it would be a nice addition, though, just like how bugfixes, dismemberment, improved Medbay, improved Cult, new items, more bugfixes, code streamlining, Space Valhalla, not being made with BYOND, and changelings that aren't dumb, and/or whatever else is getting worked on presently would be.

On the upside, though, it would be hilarious to see just how shitty having a general channel broadcasting to everyone all the time would be for real.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #62930

Wasn't this just TTS on new eden?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #62934

How about some character noises for some fucked up ambience? Guy wrenching screams when someone catches fire, painful gaps when someone's suffocating or in crit, death rattles, and squishy noises when people explode into gibs?
Lord Sexual Waffle

Post by Lord Sexual Waffle » #62940

Yeah, the lag would be kind of a problem. Still would be a cool addition if it didn't break the server
Lord Sexual Waffle

Post by Lord Sexual Waffle » #62945

Jacough wrote:How about some character noises for some fucked up ambience? Guy wrenching screams when someone catches fire, painful gaps when someone's suffocating or in crit, death rattles, and squishy noises when people explode into gibs?
Good idea. This game needs more sounds in general rather than just the sound of doors opening and skulls being bashed in
Duncdar
Byond Username: Duncdar

Post by Duncdar » #62991

No. It doesn't.
~lighter than Aire~
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #63189

aeiou
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #63221

I'd be pretty okay with a buncha screams and stuff. Make them play when using say "*scream and such.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #63222

A TTS engine would be great for announcements. The Captain, Heads of Staff desks, and the AI could have access to it. This in effect prevents the feature from causing too much lag or noise.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #63226

Gun Hog wrote:A TTS engine would be great for announcements. The Captain, Heads of Staff desks, and the AI could have access to it. This in effect prevents the feature from causing too much lag or noise.
You'd run into some annoying cases anyway. Currently, we don't really have an obnoxious overlap between sounds played from one announcement to the next. If we start using TTS for every captain/HoP/CMO et al announcment even roundstart is going to turn into an opera of fuck.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #63425

cedarbridge wrote:
Gun Hog wrote:A TTS engine would be great for announcements. The Captain, Heads of Staff desks, and the AI could have access to it. This in effect prevents the feature from causing too much lag or noise.
You'd run into some annoying cases anyway. Currently, we don't really have an obnoxious overlap between sounds played from one announcement to the next. If we start using TTS for every captain/HoP/CMO et al announcment even roundstart is going to turn into an opera of fuck.
A global cooldown of one minute or so fixes that.
CocaneStyle
Byond Username: CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle » #63440

They tested footstep sfx and it seemed great but I don't remember why they didn't add it.