For the love of Chemistry, please prolong window open time.

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Moderators: MisterPerson, Code Maintainers

iloveusername

Byond Username: Iloveusername

For the love of Chemistry, please prolong window open time.

Postby iloveusername » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:28 am #576014

Do you know how absolutely annoying it is to try and do things with a window constantly closing in the way? Botany comes to the window, asks for 3 bottles of saltpetre and 3 bottles of unstable mutagen, and how about a little mindbreaker to lighten the mood for their shift. They open their side of the window, you open yours and start taking it out of your bag, placing it on the window one by one, but what do you know, the fucking window closes after place one, but you continue, pull out another one and push forward to open the window again, you place one down, it fucking closes. Same for retrieving items through a window as well. Just make the window times longer, please.

bobbahbrown

Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Re: For the love of Chemistry, please prolong window open time.

Postby bobbahbrown » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:45 am #576015

you can click on the window to make open it permanently until you click it again to close it

iloveusername

Byond Username: Iloveusername

Postby iloveusername » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:46 am #576016

There goes my woes

cacogen

Byond Username: Cacogen

Postby cacogen » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:32 pm #576057

Could also make it take longer to close so you don't have to expose yourself to the risk of people hopping the desk or accidentally leaving it open. Same with the HoP's windoors.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this

Cobby

Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Postby Cobby » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:59 pm #576063

longer?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

Tlaltecuhtli

Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Postby Tlaltecuhtli » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:08 am #576143

bobbahbrown wrote:you can click on the window to make open it permanently until you click it again to close it

how?

cacogen

Postby cacogen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:01 am #576149

When I'm playing HoP I sometimes leave the inner one open because the lag sometimes makes it hard to get the ID in time which opens you up to people climbing the desk and stealing your ID, especially if you're getting a cartridge out of the vending machine or otherwise distracted for a couple of seconds

Cobby

Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Postby Cobby » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:24 pm #576303

the inner one is access bound, you should leave the outer one open and the inner one on timer. From either of those situations I wouldnt want it to take LONGER to close though, i would imagine you would want it to close more quickly.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

terranaut
TGMC Lead

Byond Username: Terranaut

Postby terranaut » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 am #576955

something something multitool reprogramming doortimers

Tell me I'm a good monki: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=24558

MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Byond Username: MisterPerson

Postby MisterPerson » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:55 pm #577007

It would be nice if clicking on something blocked by a windoor just opened the windoor and grabbed the thing all at once. Same for putting stuff on a table or any other interaction.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Why realism is stupid:
Spoiler:
Wiz, the project lead of Europa Universalis IV:

Immersion/flavor is playing a WW2 shooter and using a mosin-nagant instead of a laser gun - this is important.

Realism is playing a WW2 shooter and having to spend 2 months in hospital everytime you get shot - stupid and detrimental to gameplay. Nobody actually wants a realistic game, which is why realism arguments are so selectively used.
Source: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/ind ... t-19679470

cacogen

Postby cacogen » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:46 pm #577283

MisterPerson wrote:It would be nice if clicking on something blocked by a windoor just opened the windoor and grabbed the thing all at once. Same for putting stuff on a table or any other interaction.

That's a good idea.

Cobby wrote:the inner one is access bound, you should leave the outer one open and the inner one on timer. From either of those situations I wouldnt want it to take LONGER to close though, i would imagine you would want it to close more quickly.

No you see you have to leave the inner one open because it lags too bad to get the ID before it automatically closes. This makes you vulnerable to shenanigans from assistants when you're distracted. When you're changing an ID for instance, they can climb the desk and take your ID out of the computer before you notice them. And it's a huge pain to open and close it manually each time and easy to forget about. It would be better if the door stayed open one or two seconds longer by default.
Last edited by cacogen on Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cacogen

Postby cacogen » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:49 pm #577284

Cobby wrote:the inner one is access bound, you should leave the outer one open and the inner one on timer. From either of those situations I wouldnt want it to take LONGER to close though, i would imagine you would want it to close more quickly.

No you see you have to leave the inner one open because it lags too bad to get the ID before it closes. This opens you up to shenanigans from assistants when you're distracted. When you're changing an ID for instance, they can climb the desk and take your ID out of the computer before you notice. And it's a huge pain to open and close it manually each time and easy to forget about. It would be better if the door stayed open longer by default.

Return to Ideas