Suggestion for the purpose of the SuperMatter Shard

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Suggestion for the purpose of the SuperMatter Shard

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #65188

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/issues/7389
"Supermatter shards are an administrative nightmare. They're far too easy to grief with with insufficient logging to help us catch the culprit. Mobs get deleted when they touch the shard so they lose the evidence that was stored there too. Most of this doesn't get reported to us until at least a few people are already dead to it.

My wish list for better logging tools:

An announcement about who ordered it to the admins.
When people are killed by it, admins should know
who died
who touched the shard last and when
Who pushed the victim last
When they were pushed, if possible
-Ikarrus
This is a suggestions thread for methods to make the supermatter shard less of a "oh look whats this shiny thing man im ded the station is on fire time to complain in deadchat" that cargo can fart out whenever they please. Conversely, it should still be available with relative ease for when Engineering wishes to make their own darwin awa- I mean supermatter engine.

Suggestion 1: Lock it inside a box in the crate, along with a pamphlet explaining why it's so deadly. This should reduce sudden deaths in curious cargo techs
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Suggestion for the purpose of the SuperMatter Shard

Post by DemonFiren » #65199

Especially if the box inside the crate can only be opened with a code that is on the pamphlet itself.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #65226

Special crate that gives three pop up warnings of why opening it is a bad idea before it actually opens.
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #65236

Why don't we just make it an uncharged supermatter shard, and it only begins to hate everything in existence when you start pumping an emitter into it?
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #65250

"Congratulations! You have successfully ordered a sample of Supermatter!
This supermatter is highly unstable, and not meant for children under the age of 13.
Please ensure you have your parent/guardians permission or supervision before opening this box.

Warning:
-Do not ingest supermatter shard
-If swallowed do no induce vomitting, Perform a manual slow shutdown on the reactor-child by slowly inserting carbon rods, then consult a medical professional, and a plucky physics professor with wild ideas, who recently lost his tenure.
-May contain small pieces that could easily be swallowed by children
-May cause spontaneous human combustion up to and including total incineration.
-May emit harmful radioactive waves
-May emit harmful unknowable energies that are known in the state of california to harm fifth dimensional beings.
-may contain peanuts
-May contain shellfish
-May contain Dairy products
-May contain a will of it's own, and a desire to destroy the living

Now that you've read all the warnings, this document is proud to present! the SUPER MATTER SHARD CRATE CODE!
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #65261

Rather then a singularity beacon spawning make it so CE can spawn in either that or a shard (and possibly other stuff in the future!).
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #65287

I've found that the biggest thing holding back people using the supermatter shard is that there is nowhere in engineering where it can be easily and safely contained. It requires both atmos techs to set up a cooling loop and engineers to actually set it up, plus it requires a sizable area to build.

When you consider all this, its no wonder that even well staffed engineering teams have trouble setting it up without a hitch. Thats not even considering shitters saying "OH LOOK! SOMETHING EXPENSIVE AND DANGEROUS I CAN RUIN!!" Combine all the factors with the fact that the singularity is a hundred times easier and faster to set up (seriously, thanks to 1 hour rounds you'll be lucky to finish one before the shuttle arrives) and you wonder why we even have a supermatter shard in our code.

Other servers solve this problem by simply giving the engineering staff a safe, secure place to build the SME. That way it hardly takes more time to set up than the singularity engine.
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #65337

Falamazeer wrote:"Congratulations! You have successfully ordered a sample of Supermatter!
This supermatter is highly unstable, and not meant for children under the age of 13.
Please ensure you have your parent/guardians permission or supervision before opening this box.

Warning:
-Do not ingest supermatter shard
-If swallowed do no induce vomitting, Perform a manual slow shutdown on the reactor-child by slowly inserting carbon rods, then consult a medical professional, and a plucky physics professor with wild ideas, who recently lost his tenure.
-May contain small pieces that could easily be swallowed by children
-May cause spontaneous human combustion up to and including total incineration.
-May emit harmful radioactive waves
-May emit harmful unknowable energies that are known in the state of california to harm fifth dimensional beings.
-may contain peanuts
-May contain shellfish
-May contain Dairy products
-May contain a will of it's own, and a desire to destroy the living

Now that you've read all the warnings, this document is proud to present! the SUPER MATTER SHARD CRATE CODE!
-Do not taunt Supermatter Shard

I'm pretty all for having it only be horrifying if it's charged the fuck up,
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #65341

I still want to use one as a mining charge.

Is it true that they broke the bombcap at one time?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #65357

It's not actually that hard to setup a proper supermatter engine, if you know what you're doing. It just takes a while because you basically have to start from scratch, where as the singulo engine is pretty much ready to go at round start.
This is perfectly fine the way it is. If steel ever gets around to mapping a supermatter engine that's fine to, but currently it's a dangerous FUN engineering project, that can involve a lot of people.

The main thing when setting up a supermatter engine though is DON'T ORDER THE CRATE UNTIL THE REST OF THE SETUP IS FINISHED.
Seriously, having the supermatter crate, locked or not, lying around while you setup containment and shit can in no possible way be useful or safe.

In regards to chucklefucks ordering the crate and getting the shard out, a pop up confirmation box to unlock/open it, or making the rate electroshocked (or both) would be somewhat useful.
Either that or some sort of notificationis given, when cargo orders the damn thing.

Edit: http://a.pomf.se/mdnlce.jpg this is the design I've made ingame (+a big loop of H/E pipes in space, but I unno how to make bent ones in the editor), that is in the area directly west of the singulo containment area, sharing a wall. Ufortunately I've never been able to properly test it, as the round always ends to early. The only time I finished it, a traitor hurled half a dozen dead space carp at it to overload it before I could turn the bloody thing on.

This leads me onto a feature suggestion actually.

When I try make this design, I'm kind of limited in what I can ask my engineering slaves do, since for a lot of it, it's difficult to explain exactly what I want and where I want stuff.

So what if, the CE had a holoprojector like the janitor. But instead of projectin signs, it could project structures, like walls/r-walls, floors, pipes, airlocks etc etc. Basically so you can quickly pump out the blueprint for a design, then your minions can build it, and see exactly what they need to do. If some coder is especially clever, they could make the hologram vanish, when the real thing is built on the same tile, which would be neat as fuck.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #65376

Make it so that touching the shard will instantly perform amputation surgery on a random body part (because realistically anyone stupid enough to touch the shard would also probably try to headbutt or bodyslam it).
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #65377

Violaceus wrote:Make it so when singularity touches supermatter, both of them vanish.

Legit use for supermatter and expensive and not so easy way to dispose of singulo eating the station.

Because bombing singulo never works.
>No supermatter singloth bomb.
That's cheap right there making them delete each other, don't be scared, go light your cig on the shard and laugh.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #67412

To be fair, stations with supermatter engines mapped in turn singulos into a fun engineering project, just as the supermatter is on a map that starts with a singulo.

Of course the other purpose for a supermatter shard is to load a dozen of them into a Ripley's cargo bay and unload them all in the escape hallway as tator.