Slightly Lowering the aggro grab resist probability

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Tohg7.
Byond Username: Tohg7.

Slightly Lowering the aggro grab resist probability

Post by Tohg7. » #585720

I was thinking about if the Aggro Grab resist probability was lowered to 50 from 60, it would be more tolerable.

Why i think this would help the game: simply put, it would make going into a neck grab rely on equal odds instead of unfavorable odds and it would make Shove-Grab-Shove-Shove easier to pull off.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Slightly Lowering the aggro grab resist probability

Post by Mothblocks » #585724

core combat relying on rng stuff like this isnt fun, thats why we made disarms what they are now
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #585775

Jaredfogle wrote:core combat relying on rng stuff like this isnt fun, thats why we made disarms what they are now
Sounds like grabs should take a predetermined number of resists to get out of
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #585799

you'd probably be right
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #585845

SkeletalElite wrote:
Jaredfogle wrote:core combat relying on rng stuff like this isnt fun, thats why we made disarms what they are now
Sounds like grabs should take a predetermined number of resists to get out of
yeah
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #586413

I dont mind the RNG so long as there is a more reliable overarching mechanic, but i sure as heck hate GBJ.

Ive said previously grabs in general should not be viable alone, and the longer you are in a grab the higher chance you have of getting out of it.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #586432

if you want your grabs to last longer, rough them up a bit before grabbing them. stamina damage works doubly well for this
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #586433

Imagine fighting instead of upgrading your department to run more efficiently
NSFW:

BrotherBeyond
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: BrotherBeyond

Post by BrotherBeyond » #586460

You can resist twice every time you can resist. First by trying to move and once by trying to resist.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #586573

BrotherBeyond wrote:You can resist twice every time you can resist. First by trying to move and once by trying to resist.
If you can still do that, then it's bugged, since someone pr'd to prevent that a while ago. You should have a resist attempt every 4 seconds.

I set it to 60% a while ago and frankly it was overshooting it. Someone wanted to bring it down to 30% but got shot down.

The biggest sticking point is obviously that the rng system was always going to be absolute ass and I've been thinking for a while exactly what system should replace it. I think I have something in mind but I want to get it right and talk with a few people to get their impressions. The idea being something closer to the shove rework and incorporating similar systems, and turning grabbing from full restraint to a step towards subduing someone while stopping them getting away. And most importantly, preventing grabs being hardstuns, but limiting that person's options and only preventing the target of the grab from moving away from you and allowing you to control their mobility for a time AND utilizing zero rng at all, the effects just occur if you're in the right circumstances, much like shoves.

A lot of it was waiting specifically on Rohesie's mobility changes too, so I think it might be feasible now that most of the mobility stuff utilizes traits.
ShibaInuLord
Byond Username: ShibaInuLord

Post by ShibaInuLord » #586721

dont you just love it when you cqc someone and they literally dont get stopped for even a frame, what have you done anne
I play a retard called Deana Whittler
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #586797

I didn't do shit. Aggrograbbers were always fucked by rng by being attached to an rng system. Old Scarp was real bad for it given the over reliance on stomach knee, which had double resists at the time cucking the shit out of it about as often.

At the very least, it doesn't stop the combo so your second grab will hardstun the target.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #586810

Yes you did, you completely fucked the chances of aggrograb
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #586873

This game is about talking to your friends anyway
NSFW:

ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #587420

PKPenguin321 wrote:if you want your grabs to last longer, rough them up a bit before grabbing them. stamina damage works doubly well for this
nope, not anymore; anne's PR removed that
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #587467

One easy fix right now is changing the resting check to whether they're standing or not then boom it goes from 60 to 30.

Why it checks for resting is a true mystery but there you go. Maybe PKP thought resting and being knocked down were the same thing? I'd argue that's a fix if anything simply because you need to deliberately choose to rest, and the pr that added that feature was before the resting changes that no longer made it a weird knockdown, and long before most of the modern mobility changes.
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #587564

RNG in some situations is good. It stops the game from becoming a spreadsheet. It's when RNG can't be compensated for (in either direction) that it becomes bad. So roughing someone up to reduce their RNG chance to break from a grab? That's good RNG. In the same vein, there should be some way for the grabbed to tip the scales (slightly) in their direction. Not like pump-up, it needs to be reactionary. Like if you're aggrograbbed you can hit them with harm intent to cause brute damage and slightly improve the RNG resist chance (based on how much the grabber is hurt). (Like IRL if someone grabs you, you knee them/elbow them)

It wouldn't be foolproof, and you're still likely to lose, but you get AGENCY. Which makes it feel less like you're taking an immediate L.

Speaking of grabs, I notice that CQC can repeatedly lock you into a restraining position, leaving you hardstunned even after being tossed out of the kitchen. Like, how are you restrained when you're no longer anywhere near the person restraining you? Did they tie your arms into a bow? You can even chain it to permastun your victim.