Improve teleportation (remote control)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lyude
Byond Username: Lyude

Improve teleportation (remote control)

Post by Lyude » #590444

I found teleportation (launchpad) yesterday and it is really promising, yet it lacks a bit to be GREAT : a possibility to remote control the console from afar. Because when I want to target a tile from a far disctance I need to make several walks in both ways to calculate the right coordinates tile to tile, even with HUD to check the result. It's not practical.

It could be improved in several ways :
- having a laptop or a remote control to be able to select the right target with the help of HUD (no need to go back to console to change coordinates)
- having in the console a kind of map of the station (or access to cameras) to be able to taget an area where you can't count precisely the tiles to get there (like AI sat (useful in case of malf AI)

These improvements would really make teleportation more useful, yet not overpowered
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Re: Improve teleportation (remote control)

Post by cacogen » #590487

Not shitting on your idea but we had telescience where people would steal everything roundstart after finding that round's offset with a calculator on the internet someone made and maybe this would be like that with the changes you describe I don't know I haven't used it
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #590698

Launchpads have a limited range unlike old telesci, especially roundstart with no upgrades, so that particular issue shouldn't be a problem.

I'm kinda iffy on the idea of having a remote, though, because i want to encourage team effort over solo play whenever possible. Without a remote, the optimal way to pinpoint long distance targets is to have a spotter (ideally with a diagnostic HUD) guide yor aim.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #590725

This kind of exists. There is a traitor item called the briefcase launch pad (unless it got removed for some reason, I don't think it did though).

It's disguised as a briefcase but you can set it up anywhere relatively quickly and then you use the folder it comes with as a discrete remote to control it with.
Lyude
Byond Username: Lyude

Post by Lyude » #590726

I saw that indeed. I like teleportation a lot.

That' ok I retract this Idea. Yet I have a very good one for wich I'll create a new thread because it's much more than this one.