Stations are no longer allies: Budget funded RAID parties!

A place to record your ideas for the game.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Stations are no longer allies: Budget funded RAID parties!

Post by BONERMASTER » #629130

This is a very loose idea, and I really want to test the waters here with you guys first, before we make anything concrete out of it. If you can imagine this being a thing, and if you are against it, I want you to leave a quick reply below, so we can see if it's worth brainstorming further.

What I've vaguely come up with is this: We got our budget system, Cargo is always doing the bounties and stocking up money, and there just seems to be no good way to spend it.
So, how about, we make our money fight for us, by using it to fund raiding parties that will work as a player-triggered pirate event on the stations that you selected?

What I definitely want to remain here is, that you can specifically fund and decide what gear the party will be using, and if they are successful, you will paid by their spoils.

We could tie this into special event missions, where for example, you accept a contract to defend a crate on your station for X amount of time, and other stations could have extra incentive to grab the crate for themselves.

There could be loads of interactions and ideas we could cram into this concept, and I think it could make for a good way to kickstart the chaos in the round, provide some distractions for our antags to do their thing, and have the rest of the crew always alert and active doing something.

What do you guys think?
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Stations are no longer allies: Budget funded RAID parties!

Post by Shadowflame909 » #629144

So player controlled events triggered by other stations... for rewards/boons

Sounds cool. But I wonder if it'd be laggy, or if it'd be fine just like our "message transfer" system we already have in game
► Show Spoiler
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #629228

BONERMASTER wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:09 pm This is a very loose idea, and I really want to test the waters here with you guys first, before we make anything concrete out of it. If you can imagine this being a thing, and if you are against it, I want you to leave a quick reply below, so we can see if it's worth brainstorming further.

What I've vaguely come up with is this: We got our budget system, Cargo is always doing the bounties and stocking up money, and there just seems to be no good way to spend it.
So, how about, we make our money fight for us, by using it to fund raiding parties that will work as a player-triggered pirate event on the stations that you selected?

What I definitely want to remain here is, that you can specifically fund and decide what gear the party will be using, and if they are successful, you will paid by their spoils.

We could tie this into special event missions, where for example, you accept a contract to defend a crate on your station for X amount of time, and other stations could have extra incentive to grab the crate for themselves.

There could be loads of interactions and ideas we could cram into this concept, and I think it could make for a good way to kickstart the chaos in the round, provide some distractions for our antags to do their thing, and have the rest of the crew always alert and active doing something.

What do you guys think?
I disagree. Raiding parties are not the answer. We need a redesign of diplomacy, and the captain/HOP's office. The ability to interact with the world outside of the station. Ideally it would require Captain level access, but HoP could give that to himself, and could be done as a job on a communications console/bridge console. A system where they can trade goods/bounties, or technology with other factions, potentially cementing alliances or antagonizing the people who they are helping's enemies
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #629292

Hey, let's keep it on the ball here. I'd like to see these changes as well, and they wouldn't have to be mutually exclusive. Before we go off and create our whole alternate universe on the back of the game though, let's keep it in this scope of this thread, and see how that would work out to begin with, alright?

With warm regards
-BONERMASTER

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Likteer
Byond Username: Likteer

Post by Likteer » #629335

Helios wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:02 am I disagree. Raiding parties are not the answer. We need a redesign of diplomacy, and the captain/HOP's office. The ability to interact with the world outside of the station. Ideally it would require Captain level access, but HoP could give that to himself, and could be done as a job on a communications console/bridge console. A system where they can trade goods/bounties, or technology with other factions, potentially cementing alliances or antagonizing the people who they are helping's enemies
I disagree
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #629343

i liked having a smaller micro station ran by ghost roles and their large own escape pod that can interact with the station but mostly keep to their own place.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #629503

BONERMASTER wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:50 pm Hey, let's keep it on the ball here. I'd like to see these changes as well, and they wouldn't have to be mutually exclusive. Before we go off and create our whole alternate universe on the back of the game though, let's keep it in this scope of this thread, and see how that would work out to begin with, alright?

With warm regards
-BONERMASTER
Fine, then I'll put it another way. Formalized raids with formal objectives is a bad idea. This is a role that can be taken up by Gateway missions. Gateways falling out of style seems to be a deliberate choice by coders to keep action on-station. Implicit in your statement is that this would add variety to the game by putting the shoe on the other foot. Rather then being on the defensive from hidden antagonists, the players can be on the offensive. That's a great idea, but going on a raid against space mobs is not the way to do it. A 2 fort style map with a red team station and a blue team station where both sides try to kill each other would be a better way to handle it.
Likteer wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:02 pm I disagree
Noted.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #629537

gateways are config blocked, we (I) dont really support the maps because the situational efficacy is based on what map you roll and not the maps themselves.

If you see hotel snoozefest you are going to nope tf out versus seeing your favorite loot zone (I would say wild west but that one doesnt give you an out from the getgo). Theres no decision making in the ruins themselves.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #629542

Nonono.

I ain't talking about raiding NPC stations.
I'm talking about raiding other SERVER stations.

A ghost-role invite would be sent to the target station, the people sign up to get the role, get the gear you picked for them and then rip & tear. And vice versa. That's how I got it imagined for the moment, and I believe we have the code to make it happen.

With warm regards
-BONERMASTER

Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #629679

I don't think allowing this at all times would be a good idea, there are many ways to get extremely large amounts of credits and big cooldowns aren't fun. Maybe making this post-revs content would be a good idea? On rev win, rev stations could get the option to start funding pirate raids against other stations and all other stations could get the option to fund merc raids against the rev station, or something like that.