We think of silly sci-fi effects for weapons

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

We think of silly sci-fi effects for weapons

Post by Shadowflame909 » #629419

Calling all roguelike/binding of isaac mains.

Something that'd shake up combat would be a weapon that neuters your opponents maximum damage output. Imagine getting shot with a "Muscle Relaxer" Bullet that halves the amount of force you can hit someone with.

Another Idea is "Charged Bolts" Lasers now have bigger sprites, and take up more tile space. But at the cost of being really slow. You can't dodge these hallway lasers now! But you can outrun them.
► Show Spoiler
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Re: We think of silly sci-fi effects for weapons

Post by Screemonster » #629459

I want a bullet that shoots smaller bullets when it hits the wall, or maybe a really slow bullet that shoots sub-bullets as it travels, or maybe both

like how the quake 2 BFG shoots beams at every mob in LOS while it travels
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #629742

Bouncing buckshot: initially fires a slightly-lower damage slug, which on impact with a wall fires back out as a spread of buckshot. Ammo property, requires bluespace crystals and plastic to manufacture.

Returning rounds: instead of a strict number of shots, has a direct seamless charge bar. If a fired shot hits a carbon, 2/3rds of the energy expended to fire the shot is recharged. Rewards good aim and discourages hallway laser spam. Weapon property rather than an ammo property.

Travelblast shot: as the projectile travels, periodically creates an AoE damage effect around it that deals half the damage of the projectile. Despawns after three such pulses, whereupon it discharges in a larger, full-damage AoE effect. Ammo property, plasma required to manufacture.

Repulsor ammo: as the weapon is fired, carbons directly adjacent to the wielder are pushed backwards similar to being hit with a baseball bat. Weapon property, requires bluespace crystals to manufacture.

Depleted uranium shells: rounds knockback the target and have AP. Ammo property, requires uranium to manufacture.

Uranium shells: irradiates the target on hit. Ammo property, requires uranium to manufacture.

Heatshock bullets: emulates the thermal pistol's heat effect.

Cryofield cartridges: emulates the thermal pistol's cold effect.

Tumbler: has a chance to knock the target prone on hit.

Doubledown: has a chance to inflict its damage twice on hit, lower than base damage.

Illuminator: grants a glowing effect to the target on hit.

Papercraft shells: confetti shotgun shells. Makes a funny noise and is harmless. Perfect for clowns, ammo property.

Phosphorous: AP incendiary, low chance to blind target, obv. very expensive in some capacity.

Soundcheck: basically makes the weapon silent as long as those rounds are fired, ammo property.

Wingding: after hitting a target, fires another shot with lower damage (without this property) at another nearby carbon. Good for crowds.

Pustule rounds: if the round knocks the target into hardcrit, they immediately explode like a microbomb implant. Good for kill-confirms.

Some of these are adapted from the TTRPG I'm designing so they may not all translate to SS13 that well.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #629747

I have no imagination and can’t think of a game with cool projectile effects (Noita) to rip from but here goes

- Gun that fires a different projectile with each shot (like staff of chaos)
- Gun that uses hitscan lasers instead of regular ones (probably already in)
- Gun that fires smart bullets that follow targets (someone already suggested basically this)
- Gun that has a camera attached to the projectile and you steer it like in I think it was MGS2
- Gun that embeds a chemical or explosive payload that you can activate later
- Gun that creates a cloud of reagents on impact (like that pink revolver that lets you cheaply deal with Julianna in Deathloop)
- Gun that is silent and deals damage mostly through embeds and bleeding instead of raw power (i.e. nail gun)
- Gun that creates an anomaly on hit
- Gun that removes gravity from the opponent on hit
- Gun that lets you throw the enemy around (e.g. blue gravity gun at end of HL2 or TK if it worked on people)
- Gun that removes the target’s soul
- Gun that makes you swap places with your target
- Gun that makes your target see multiple versions of you
- Gun that creates a bullet that follows your target around and shoots them after a random amount of time
- Gun that fires the gun and you keep the bullet
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #629750

Bullet that is harmless or almost harmless itself but causes the thing shot to fire three (maybe more) actually harmful bullets from the side that was shot. I think a fixed pattern with the center bullet flying in a direction perpendicular to the tile side that's during it and two other bullets flying 45° to the left and right of the center bullet would be good.
Yes this means hitting your target with the first bullet shoots at you and the target can avoid damage by catching that bullet (at the cost of getting closer to you).
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #629752

cacogen wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:40 pm I have no imagination and can’t think of a game with cool projectile effects (Noita) to rip from but here goes

- Gun that removes the target’s soul
Are we talking full on devil "soul sent to hell unrevivable"

Or out of body experience ala Scrying orb?
cacogen wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:40 pm - Gun that is silent and deals damage mostly through embeds and bleeding instead of raw power (i.e. nail gun)
Amazing engineering traitor item right there

Some of these could be cool abductor items like the shrink ray, traitor items, or late-game crew items. Very epic
► Show Spoiler
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #629986

a gun that uses bluespace technology to shrink anything down into a bullet

you shoot them with it and whatever's in the bullet is embedded into them if it hits
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #630021

nianjiilical wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:20 am a gun that uses bluespace technology to shrink anything down into a bullet

you shoot them with it and whatever's in the bullet is embedded into them if it hits
First reaction: This is perfect
Second reaction: We can only put this in if AthAth stays permabanned
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #631892

A "quantum" homing missle that moves slightly slower than what the movement speed of whatever you aimed it at was at the time when you fired it.
If you shoot something that is immobile or a stunned person it shoots you.
Highway Routine
Byond Username: Holes in the light

Post by Highway Routine » #631916

a mod that causes the affected gun to shoot a version of it self that walks around shooting people

a mod that causes the affected gun to shoot a copy of itself that then shoots a bullet then when hits something turns into a gun, then the process repeats.