Limb-Based combat expansion

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Tohg7.
Byond Username: Tohg7.

Limb-Based combat expansion

Post by Tohg7. » #632595

Since players barely targets anything except head/chest in-game unless their trying to dismember limbs, i was thinking of an idea for a combat expansion where grabbing or attacking certain limbs would have different functions and effects.

Arms: Grabbing the arm a player is holding their weapon in prevents them from attacking you and has 45% resist success chance so you can grab the arm that an assistant is holding a stunprod in, preventing them from stunning you and you would be able to follow up with something that knocks them down, like a glass bottle to the head, take their stunprod then stun them. Attacking someone in the arm with blunt weapons would have a chance to disarm them if the arm you attacked with a blunt weapon had a weapon in it.

Legs: Grabbing the leg of a player would prevent them from resisting out of your grab by merely moving away from you, if you aggro-grab them by the leg, your throws would stun for the same length of throwing them into a wall would be, regardless of where you throw them. Attacking someone in the leg with a blunt weapon would slow them down more than merely attacking them in the head or chest on top of having a chance to dislocate the leg. In addition, shoving someone who's been snared would result in tipping them over instantly, stunning them.

Eyes: It goes without saying that attacking players in the eyes causes eye damage, but there should be weapons that either have a chance to pierce eye protection, pierce eye protection completely or flat-out break eyewear, also in this combat expansion, players would be able to gouge other players' eyes with an empty hand by combat mode clicking on someone while targeting the eyes, three-stooges style.

I formally ask for your opinions on this concept that could possibly be used to liven the combat system, thank you for your time.
Last edited by Tohg7. on Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
borb197
Byond Username: Borb197

Re: Limb-Based combat expansion

Post by borb197 » #632596

actually looks like a pretty decent set of ideas, might also be balanced (although arm grab might become meta)

now attacking every body part has a purpose;
head for funny brain traumas and damage and wounds
chest if i dunno
arms to disarm/stop yourself getting attacked (maybe should make some sets of armour or weapons resist this, seems pretty strong)
legs if you wanna dunk someone who doesn't spam resist button or throw them in an open area (could be strong if you throw right beside yourself so you can instantly stun, can already do this with walls tho)
groin sounds a bit eh, stamina damage is only preferable if your intent is to stun your target, and in that case you'd want a batong, as the strongest blunt weapon i can think of that crew has is a toolbox (12dmg) which absolutely sucks in comparison to batong (55dmg)
Tohg7.

Post by Tohg7. » #632597

borb197 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:58 am actually looks like a pretty decent set of ideas, might also be balanced (although arm grab might become meta)

chest if i dunno
arms to disarm/stop yourself getting attacked (maybe should make some sets of armour or weapons resist this, seems pretty strong)
legs if you wanna dunk someone who doesn't spam resist button or throw them in an open area (could be strong if you throw right beside yourself so you can instantly stun, can already do this with walls tho)
groin sounds a bit eh, stamina damage is only preferable if your intent is to stun your target, and in that case you'd want a batong, as the strongest blunt weapon i can think of that crew has is a toolbox (12dmg) which absolutely sucks in comparison to batong (55dmg)
Chest with blunt weapons for knockdown and head for throat slits and concussions, keep in mind that if you grab someone's weapon arm, they can pass the weapon to their other arm and stun you with a stunprod.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #632604

Seems like quite a lot of complexity to add to combat. Admittedly limb selection could really use the help, but making it this powerful worries me. Then again I'm not really the combat guy.

To be brutally honest with you, I don't trust you to do this by default, since you're very invested in the game's combat, at least it seems from this and your other ideas.
Don't trust you to be a good judge of what makes sense if you're immersed enough to know everything there is to know, and be totally comfortable with all of it. Seems like something that would cloud your ability to make decisions that work for people who aren't as invested as you.

The arm and leg grab particularly stand out as things that would massively change combat, and make a deeper understanding required to put up any form of a fight. Worry what the stun would do to the already nuked security newbies. Same with the arm grab actually, especially the weapon dropping part.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Tohg7.

Post by Tohg7. » #632606

TheFinalPotato wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:19 am Seems like quite a lot of complexity to add to combat. Admittedly limb selection could really use the help, but making it this powerful worries me. Then again I'm not really the combat guy.

To be brutally honest with you, I don't trust you to do this by default, since you're very invested in the game's combat, at least it seems from this and your other ideas.
Don't trust you to be a good judge of what makes sense if you're immersed enough to know everything there is to know, and be totally comfortable with all of it. Seems like something that would cloud your ability to make decisions that work for people who aren't as invested as you.

The arm and leg grab particularly stand out as things that would massively change combat, and make a deeper understanding required to put up any form of a fight. Worry what the stun would do to the already nuked security newbies. Same with the arm grab actually, especially the weapon dropping part.
Thank you for your input, what would you recommend for buffs to target selection?
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #632607

Since players barely targets anything except head/chest in-game unless their trying to dismember limbs
Pause here--I don't think this is a problem. Body zone selection is really clunky, you either click a tiny UI or fiddle around with a numpad (which I bought just to use the body zone selection...). I want less of it, not more.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
borb197
Byond Username: Borb197

Post by borb197 » #633205

you can remap the keybinds to keys you are more comfortable using, and you should do this, it's the same reason why you're not expected to start fucking around with the tiny UI to resist or rest during a situation which needs either (either resisting for resisting out of a grab or similar, and resting for many, many things but most commonly stopping people who try to climb on you), which are already B and U by default.

perhaps if there was a special keybind which cycles through all bodyparts, which you can use repeatedly to get to your desired bodypart, allowing you to keybind to hit a specific part without needing a keypad or an awkward set of binds (although there's more unused keys than you think so if you just bind the important parts then you're fine)
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #633638

Mothblocks wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:34 am
Since players barely targets anything except head/chest in-game unless their trying to dismember limbs
Pause here--I don't think this is a problem. Body zone selection is really clunky, you either click a tiny UI or fiddle around with a numpad (which I bought just to use the body zone selection...). I want less of it, not more.
can't you just make the UI element bigger I've never used the numpad for this because I stopped optimising my controls years ago but surely repositioning it and making it take up more space isn't difficult or just call MouseEntered on that shit and create a larger version over it until MouseExited is called
RandumbPhantomb
Byond Username: Randumb Phantomb

Post by RandumbPhantomb » #708758

borb197 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:58 am actually looks like a pretty decent set of ideas, might also be balanced (although arm grab might become meta)

chest if i dunno
give limb attacks a chance to miss, make torso guaranteed, make groin attacks do mood damage, with the moodlet 'MY FUCKING GROIN AAAAAAUAUAUAAGH'