Remove the Captain

A place to record your ideas for the game.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Remove the Captain

Post by datorangebottle » #635900

Inspired by policy discussion on restricting head antagonism.

I almost want to see what the game is like without the captain role. No all-access. No spare ID. Move special objective items to the showroom and the disk to the HoS or HoP. The captain is almost always a powertripping cunt who sticks his finger in everyone else's pie and has nothing to do otherwise. Turn his office on every map into a bridge staff break room or something.

This would remove all-access as a thing entirely. Acting captain antagonism is no longer an issue. No single figure is in control of the station- each head has charge of their own section, but should encourage cooperation with other departments to achieve goals.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: Remove the Captain

Post by terranaut » #635905

nations 2.0
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #635907

Hm. Honestly, the only reason the Captain exists normally is to basically be a pile of goodies for whomever murks 'em. As long as their equipment is preserved in one form or another, it'd be at least an interesting experiment.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #635916

Valorium wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:50 pm Hm. Honestly, the only reason the Captain exists normally is to basically be a pile of goodies for whomever murks 'em.
That's terribly wrong. The captain functions as the bridge between departments and as an arbiter in the event of a conflict. If the station goes to shit, he has the ability to fill in whereever people are needed, without having to worry about his department first. And since the captain has access to all department chats, he should have the highest amount of information of what's happening after only the AI.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #635918

terranaut wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:16 pm
Valorium wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:50 pm Hm. Honestly, the only reason the Captain exists normally is to basically be a pile of goodies for whomever murks 'em.
That's terribly wrong. The captain functions as the bridge between departments and as an arbiter in the event of a conflict. If the station goes to shit, he has the ability to fill in whereever people are needed, without having to worry about his department first. And since the captain has access to all department chats, he should have the highest amount of information of what's happening after only the AI.
► Show Spoiler
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #635925

Farquaar wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:17 am
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #635944

Bawhoppennn wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:01 am
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #635956

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:30 am
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #635961

Stickymayhem wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:47 am
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #635970

why do people suggest these radical changes with absolutely no justifiable reason for them other than they want to knock out a wall and see what happens

captain is very integral on lowpop btw because you're like an all-access assistant that at different points has to take care of everything because nobody else is around to do it
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #635984

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:34 am
Stickymayhem wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:47 am

Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #636000

why are you just empty quoting the person before you?
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #636004

cacogen wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:35 pm why do people suggest these radical changes with absolutely no justifiable reason for them other than they want to knock out a wall and see what happens
It's probably related to the thread being posted on the 1st of April.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #636008

Captain is an executive. It's like the CEO of a corporation. If medbay doesn't do their job, the bodies pile up, if engineering doesn't do their job, the power goes out, and station breaches start leaking out all the heat and atmosphere.
Anyways. No Captain station would be fine. I would suggest that it is more then a text toggle, that the contents of the captains chamber change. In terms of game text-change, I'd say that all the heads become "Vice-President", joke being they're all Vice President so don't have real authority over one another. Captain is dead, and there's not one replacement, there's 5
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #636011

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:41 pm
cacogen wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:35 pm why do people suggest these radical changes with absolutely no justifiable reason for them other than they want to knock out a wall and see what happens
It's probably related to the thread being posted on the 1st of April.
It has nothing to do with april fool's, thanks.
The issue is that when he's not necessary, he's still sticking his face in everyone's business and making a mess of things, and he's the best at doing so because access can't stop him and he has nothing better to do.
cacogen wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:35 pm captain is very integral on lowpop btw because you're like an all-access assistant that at different points has to take care of everything because nobody else is around to do it
Integral on deadpop, maybe. On lowpop, there should be at least one person in each department(except security because we don't have any lowpop sec gamers on sybil), and skeleton crew access should take care of things from there.
Helios wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:55 pm Captain is an executive. It's like the CEO of a corporation. If medbay doesn't do their job, the bodies pile up, if engineering doesn't do their job, the power goes out, and station breaches start leaking out all the heat and atmosphere.
He's an unnecessary figurehead. Medical's not going to just stop healing people because the captain doesn't exist.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #636054

no thanks
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #636159

I suppose my statement should be given the following addendum:

Captains *usually* fit the bill I described (and I say that as a semi-frequent Captain player). It'd be good if they *didn't*.

I apologize for the confusion.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
RandumbPhantomb
Byond Username: Randumb Phantomb

Post by RandumbPhantomb » #708756

This is stupid, an head of staff antagonist literally has nothing standing in their way. A heretic could be sacrificing somebody in their office, and nobody can do anything
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #708910

RandumbPhantomb wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:45 am This is stupid, an head of staff antagonist literally has nothing standing in their way. A heretic could be sacrificing somebody in their office, and nobody can do anything
Sir, the post above you is 1.5 years old.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #709044

datorangebottle wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:30 pm The captain is almost always a powertripping cunt who sticks his finger in everyone else's pie and has nothing to do otherwise.
That's the point of captain.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #709351

RandumbPhantomb wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:45 am This is stupid, an head of staff antagonist literally has nothing standing in their way. A heretic could be sacrificing somebody in their office, and nobody can do anything
kid named AI

seriously when has the captain ever ran over to open the door for someone, it's always the AI