Scroll Fragments

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Scroll Fragments

Post by Helios » #642960

Here is an idea for a toggleable feature. Scroll Fragments. Any entity when killed, be it a mouse in a hallway, a player, a lavaland entity or Ian, has a small % chance of dropping a scroll Fragment.
There would 3 kinds of Scroll Fragments. Spell Fragments, Heretic Fragments, and Genetic Fragments. 5 scrolls of the same type can be combined to create a tome which gives the player a power from said discipline. These might not include all spells, all heretic powers, or all genetics abilities, but a select list. Since there are multiple kinds of fragments, and only fragments of the same type can be combined, there would be an incentive for players to trade these fragments with one another to get 5 of a kind.
This would change player behaviour with possible farming strategies, but also add some variability to rounds for the better. I would compare it to some servers in various games having Roll The Dice.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Re: Scroll Fragments

Post by TheFinalPotato » #642962

This but replace scrolls with trading cards (don't hurt me eob)
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #642963

No thanks, id rather not be horizontal to collect 5 of a kind shiny pokeomon cards.

Spoiler:
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #643042

agreed. Its an incentive to murderbone

But if you add it to a system that activates when an EOC is in perma....
► Show Spoiler
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #643075

Shadowflame909 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:56 am agreed. Its an incentive to murderbone

But if you add it to a system that activates when an EOC is in perma....
It's a lot easier to kill a monkey or cat than another player. This would be a universal drop of any entity, a majority of which are non-player characters.
TheFinalPotato wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:08 am This but replace scrolls with trading cards (don't hurt me eob)
This would be a good way to replace it if it gets stale. Only concern is that it's kind of useless and players wouldn't really care.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #643076

A lust for violence is not easily satiated, you can for instance monkeyize people to murderbone profitable. There will always be exploits, so you have to be somewhat modest with the implementation.
Helios wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:14 am ~snip~ Only concern is that it's kind of useless and players wouldn't really care.
This too, why are you armchairing the idea when you don't even have a basis for anything interesting to do with it? (tomes aside would never get greenlit i dont think simply for greenshift murders) Like playing holographic duels with the captured spirits on the card aka: Inscryption or more archaically since i know most forum players are old enough to grasp the reference, first series anime of Yugioh Duel monsters?

So i can run round as PegaSuS with my battleduel crewmember deck-dispenser, capturing crewmembers souls on emagged holographic print cards that disable the safety lock and create a army of hologhosts.

Spoiler:
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #643077

I mention it cause we already have a trading card game, and I've wanted to add rare drops to bubblegum for a bit now, at least when persistence gets in.
It occurred to me that something like that for other slightly less rare enemies might be funny, so long as the cards are similarly portioned.

Holoduels was also an idea, but that gets tricky quicker. Do wanna make like a browser game or something someday tho.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #643147

Actually, I would love a means of playing TGC (or is it TCG?) on browser in the spirit of SS13 Idle. No one ever plays it IC.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #643149

Helios wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:00 am Here is an idea for a toggleable feature. Scroll Fragments. Any entity when killed, be it a mouse in a hallway, a player, a lavaland entity or Ian, has a small % chance of dropping a scroll Fragment.
There would 3 kinds of Scroll Fragments. Spell Fragments, Heretic Fragments, and Genetic Fragments. 5 scrolls of the same type can be combined to create a tome which gives the player a power from said discipline. These might not include all spells, all heretic powers, or all genetics abilities, but a select list. Since there are multiple kinds of fragments, and only fragments of the same type can be combined, there would be an incentive for players to trade these fragments with one another to get 5 of a kind.
This would change player behaviour with possible farming strategies, but also add some variability to rounds for the better. I would compare it to some servers in various games having Roll The Dice.
This sounds extremely fucking fun so i doubt it'll ever happen, but great idea!
Botany could reasonably produce around 10 mice/minute with biogen cheese, and even then we'd be looking at a 25 minute grind for one scroll. Anything besides mice would probably not be doable in a regular length round